Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Gone With The Wind Blu-ray $45.49

Author Topic: Gone With The Wind Blu-ray $45.49
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
As of this writing you can pre-order the Gone With The Wind: Ultimate Collector's Edition BR - the version with all the extras - for only $45.49 at Amazon.

Gone With The Wind UCE Blu-ray

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I bought the special DVD edition of GONE WITH THE WIND several years ago and I believe it was a four disc set. I am pretty sure all of the extra stuff will be ported over into the Blu Ray edition. Because the special edition of GWTW is very similar to the recent THE WIZARD OF OZ set, I am expecting Target to offer a similar scaled down package without all the extra printed material at a lower cost. The thing I cannot understand is why Warners is packaging the set again with the MGM documentary WHEN THE LION ROARS. If Walmart will once again offer a movie only set, I think I will consider buying that.

-Claude

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claude.

I also have the previous four-disc edition. I don't recall all the extra material but I think the following might be new to this edition:

About the Cast Profile featurettes - Gable: The King Remembered and Vivien Leigh: Scarlett and Beyond - and 17 additional Supporting Players featurettes on other cast members including Thomas Mitchell, Barbara O'Neill, Evelyn Keyes, Ann Rutherford, Hattie McDaniel, Oscar Polk, Butterfly McQueen, Leslie Howard, Rand Brooks, Carroll Nye, Laura Hope Crews, Eddie Anderson, Harry Davenport, Jane Darwell, Ona Munson and Cammie King)

The following is definitely new:

New Bonus Material (includes the all new Warner Bros. Home Entertainment presents 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year documentary narrated by Kenneth Branagh (Excellent - saw it on TCM), the Gone with the Wind: The Legend Lives On documentary, the 1980 Moviola: The Scarlett O'Hara Wars WBTV Special - never before seen on home video - and more trailers)

There is also the "...Lion Roars" disc and an audio CD Sampler of the soundtrack - neither of which I need.

The velvet box and the 40-page book might be nice. I don't need a re-print of the 1939 souvenir program...already have an excellent original copy in my collection.

Claude - like you I will be watching Target and Walmart for their pricing and consider buying a disc-only version with both the movie and the BR extras disc.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost worth it just for "The Scarlett O'Hara War." That was great, with Tony Curtis as David O Selznick. Hopefully someday the entire "Moviola" miniseries will be released, but this one's my favorite anyway.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 07:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it is likely I will be picking up GWTW at Target if it will include all of the cool video extras but I am not ruling out the special edition. The only thing I dislike about the SE is the packaging. It would have been great if the package was like the special edition of CASABLANCA in Blu Ray.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: