Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Finally! HD Turner Classic Movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Finally! HD Turner Classic Movies
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-28-2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turner Classic Movies is finally available in High Definition. I do not know how widespread the coverage but it became available in Honolulu about a week ago. I watched NOSFERATU and DIABOLIQUE on Sunday night and the picture quality in HD was fantastic. I watched NOSFERATU many times on scratchy 16mm film and once on Super 8 and seeing it for the first in HD with an image almost free of scratches was a treat. The French film also looked gorgeous in HD.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-28-2009 06:27 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had it for a few months now here. It was a welcome upgrade to the channel line up.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-28-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like to have TCM HD on my satellite TV subscription. Unfortunately, it looks like neither DirecTV or Dish Network offer it. Both companies have been launching new satellites to add more HD capacity. But it looks like both are playing games trying to milk their customers for as much money as possible while providing as little programming as they can get away with providing until too many customers leave. This is especially true for Dish Network.

The only reason why I'm still a Dish Network customer is my options here in Lawton are shit. I have a "grandfathered" Dish HD Absolute package which costs me less than $60 per month. That's about 70 or so HD channels, including 8 HBO channels and my local channels in HD, plus the nice DVR/receiver. DirecTV doesn't have anything remotely comparable in that price range, plus they don't carry ANY of our local channels -not in SD or HD. The local cable company, now owned by Fidelity, is a freaking joke. If the company was Cox or Time Warner then the offerings might be more credible. But with Fidelity you'll spend well over $80 per month for extended SD cable and get a mere sprinkling of less than a couple dozen HD channels, not the many channels in HD you get from DirecTV, Dish Network or the largest cable companies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-29-2009 02:21 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite often, I'll be channel surfing and land on a great movie on TCM or one of the other channels. But they always lose me during the commercial breaks, which get thicker and thicker as the movie goes on. No thanks. I'd rather watch a regular old DVD than HD with commercials.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2009 02:39 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TCM doesn't run commercials during movies.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Comcast in my area started showing TCM in HD about the same time as Claude got it in Hawaii. It is great. Everything is in it's original aspect ratio with no fish-eye effect to fill the screen with 4:3 material. Some stuff is obviously upconverted but still it's beautiful to watch compared to most other "free" cable movie channels. We also got MGMHD at the same time which has limited commercials...maybe one brief one per hour promoting an upcoming feature. Best of all is both of the above mentioned channels do not run annoying ads across the bottom of their screens constantly.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-29-2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been nearly a couple years since I had TCM (on my SD subscription package), but if I remember right TCM would show movies uncut.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2009 01:06 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TCM's policy is to run pictures uncut, uninterrupted, and in their original aspect ratio.
I'm glad to hear about the HD. I haven't noticed it particularily in L.A., but often record for later viewing which would end up standard def. The quality is still excellent. I'll have to take a look at a "live" broadcast to see if we are getting HD. I should think so.

DM

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard - the HD signal is on an entirely different channel. Both SD and HD are digital channels.

Do you work for Turner? Your name sounds familiar.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2009 11:18 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
I was with Turner for its entire existence, 1986-96, then taken over by WB 1996-2005. I am now with Film Technology Co., a restoration lab.
Thanks for the info. I looked at TCM last night, and thought the R. Osborn intro material looked very good, but couldn't be certain of HD. The program itself was the 1932 film PROSPERITY, which will never be anywhere near HD.

Dick May

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2009 11:26 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had TCM-HD for several months now. It does not appear that they are showing true HD 1080i transfers, but the channel does look better than the non-hd tcm. There is far less compression artifacts, and widescreen films now fill the width of my 16:9 screen without zooming the picture.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many older classic films that probably are not commercially available in HD.

The only thing that makes SD look a little bit better on HD signals is less compression, and sometimes no interlace depending on the source format.

I don't have TCM in HD here yet, but boy am I envious!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 01:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had recorded several TCM movies last week on my HDDVR including Ken Russell's VALENTINO, YOURS, MINE & OURS, TO SIR WITH LOVE, TARGET with Boris Karloff and the 1936 version of SHOW BOAT and viewed them all during the past couple of evenings. Although I love classic films, I seldom watched regular TCM telecasts because of the substandard image quality and prefered DVDs and Blu-Ray. I am very happy TCM is finally showing movies in HD and have found the image quality superb! All of the TCM HD movies I have seen so far appeared like I was watching beautiful upconverted DVDs on my Bllu Ray player and looked like film.

As a person who had loved the cinema all his life, I never thought the day would ever come when I would enjoy watching fims at home with an image quality that is identical to the way I remember seeing them in a theatre with a HD television set. I have found Blu Ray is a wonderful way to watch and enjoy recent films as well as many classics such as THE WIZARD OF OZ , SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFF, and NORTH BY NORTHWEST which will be available on BD tomorrow. Now with TCM in HD, I am a very happy camper! [Smile]

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2009 11:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
TCM doesn't run commercials during movies.
I guess I got it mixed up with AMC. I think it used to run movies uncut, maybe? I guess this shows how much TV I watch (not much).

And Claude, if you type "SEVEN DWARFF" once more I am going to go out of my mind. So you'll have that on your conscience.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-03-2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Once upon a time AMC did show movies the right way uncut.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: