Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Sleeping Beauty BD Tech Extras

Author Topic: Sleeping Beauty BD Tech Extras
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do so many discs get basic film technology so wrong on extra materials. I've seen some pretty good (if incomplete) information about Toidd-AO and Cinemascope 55, but sometimes info is just plain wrong, and it is especially irritating when it is being given out by the actual people involved with the restorations. On the SLEEPING BEAUTY BD, there is a section on restoring the sound. It is mentioned that FANTASIA was the "first multi-channel film, a pre-curser to today's surround sound." OK, As good as it goes.

But then the same restorer says that "SLEEPING BEAUTY was the first true stereo soundtrack...you have 2 channels of audio, but the way these things are miked and reproduced, it gives you an image in the center that isn't really there. That's true stereo."

HUH??? Wouldn't the 70mm prints of SLEEPING BEAUTY have been 6-channel? (or at the very least 4?)

Thjey also talked about the challenge of matching the dialog and sound effects, which were recorded magnetically, with the music score...big disparity there.

Again, I would have assumed that the music would have been recorded magnetically, although they may have been saying that the music was the original session tapes while the dialog and music may have gone down several generations. But this went unexplained.

And then they compared an original clip with a very high pitched cycle noise with scratches and pops to show what they had to work with. Yet I've seen Sleeping Beauty in several formats before, and did not notice this bad state (everything from VHS to 70mm (at the El Capitan). Do they just use worse case examples to show the hard work (and I don't deny that it is a lot of hard work to restore) just to illustrate to the public? If so, I think they do a diservice to wrongly educate.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: