Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFF on Blu Ray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFF on Blu Ray
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-03-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFF will be released on Blu Ray on Tuesday and from all of the reviews I have read, it promises to be awesome. I still remember my mother taking my sister, my brother and I to see it at the Waipahu Theatre when we were little and enjoying it. I have seen it in a theatre many times after that and was very excited when it was released on laserdisc and DVD. I was very pleased with the picture quality when they were first released. I could see how much better the DVD was to the previous laserdisc release and from the images I have seen online from the BD, I am sure the Blu Ray will blow the DVD away.

Blu Ray is great when within a two week period, one can see two classic films like THE WIZZARD OF OZ and SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFF restored to maximum perfection and released in the high definition home video format.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got an E-Mail from Amazon yesterday that said that the disc shipped. I should have it on Monday or Tuesday!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 03:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Buy had a very nice offer a few weeks ago when they advertised a free metal Steelbook case for everyone who pre ordered the Blu Ray with a $7.50 deposit. I took them up on the offer and got the case. It is very nice and sturdy. The steelbook comes with a nice cover but does not have any text at all except for the movie title. The case comes with a slip cover and it too does not have any text.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-07-2009 07:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFF in Blu Ray from Best Buy yesterday but did not get to watch the entire movie but only a few scenes because I had two rental title from Blockbuster I had to see last night. I was very impressed with what I saw and very pleased with the BD. Unlike the recent PINOCCHIO and later Disney classics, the color was not vibrant but subdued most of the time. The remastered sound I believe now 7.1 DTS Master Audio for those who have the playback equipment , sounded just fine in 5.1 DTS from my Denon receiver. The set has a very generous selection of bonus features and a standard DVD. in the three disc set. I might add, the steelbook case I got from Best Buy for pre ordering SW&TSD looks great with the discs.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-2009 08:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa was the last to post
DWARFF
All right, I can see making this error once (in the thread title yet) but to do it twice more, is sort of insulting to this great film. However, you get points for not writing "DWARVES" which I've seen in several places over the years.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-07-2009 09:47 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DUWOFFS

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2009 09:49 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, if you order it on Amazon (which has it marked down to $19.99) and enter the coupon code SNOWHITE, you'll save an extra $10, leaving it at $9.99 plus shipping.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2009 11:08 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
However, you get points for not writing "DWARVES"
I had a good friend who - with his Camden NJ accent - referred to an Oscar-winning Best Picture as "Dances With Woofs".

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-08-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I have alway made an effort to correct my spelling whenever I write and the error I had made misspelling Dwarfs was one that I had not caught and corrected. It was a honest error and was definitely not meant to be insulting to the film I have come to love long before you and probably your parents were born! [Frown]

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the disk as well and was majorly impressed that all the cell dust was gone. Blu-Ray wins over film again [thumbsup] .

As for the color balance you'd have to see the YCM refrence reel which is undoubtdly nitrate in order to know if it's close or not.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 10:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was a honest error and was definitely not meant to be insulting to the film I have come to love long before you and probably your parents were born!
Well, not quite...my parents were born seven years before the film was made! [Smile]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 05:18 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw two nitrate reels of "Snow White", and was surprised how muted the colors appeared, with an overall warm tone. It was unlike any other time I've ever seen the movie.

And BTW, my parents were born in the 1920s, well before this movie was made. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-13-2009 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats interesting Hillary, I don't know anyone else that has had that privilege. It may be the way the color balance was intended. GWTW was also somewhat muted but they say that was done on purpose. When Technicolor did a job for the studios they kept a YCM reference reel of every film they worked on. This was brought out and used for color matching if another order of prints was made years later. I know that Disney has their YCM reels stored so in theory the Blu-Ray should be very close to how the original looked.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-14-2009 02:14 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can thank Natalie Kalmus for the muted look in the nitrate print of SNOW WHITE. Kalmus was the wife of Herbert Kalmus the inventor of the Technicolor process and they were divorced but she had a very important role with the company as THE color consultant of every Technicolor film up to 1949. Many D.P.'s in the motion picture industry considered her a 'bitch' but she managed to get her way most of the time in dictating how the Technicolor process was used by insisting that color in a film should not be too lavish but subdued.

-Claude

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2009 03:33 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right Mark, it might have been the taste at the time (in addition to Mrs. Kalmus' iron rule) not to splash the screen with too much color. At least on the features, lest such a prolonged exposure to saturated hues would weary the eyes. [Roll Eyes]

I was a bit disappointed seeing those reels. I was expecting an unprecedented (to me) level of chromic purity, and it was as far from my expectations as could be (unless it would have been B&W [Wink] ). Just like GWTW, it's likely that the originals are so different from what we're used to, a perfect "original release" restoration might not go over well.

And Claude, I seem to recall reading that Walt Disney was one of several producers who eventually was able to override Natalie Kalmus' edicts, sometime after "Snow White" though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: