Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Ideas for Home Theater Digital Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ideas for Home Theater Digital Projector
Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a digital projector for a home theater room. I am looking to spend no more than $10,000 for the projector. I was looking at a Christie digital projector. Anyone have any recommendations for a really good digital projector? I am looking for one that can play HD Cable, BluRay, etc..

|  IP: Logged

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this thread is suppose to be in the film handler's forum... but anyways...

Infocus X10
I'd look into this one, it's real bargain for its price. You'd probably be better off to turn off the auto iris. I've had great luck with infocus projectors, and i've had my eye on this one. The only real catch is that the lens is a rather long throw, so you'll need a bit of space between your screen and projector.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 02:25 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No idea if they are any good, but sounds on paper like the just-launched Epsons (TW5500 TW4400) should be checked out:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/07/epsons-eh-tw5500-and-eh-tw4400-flagship-projectors-seen-hanging/

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 08:43 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Panasonic AE3000 and a 125" 2.39:1 Carada screen. I'm very happy with it.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What size screen are looking at projecting onto?

What is your light control like in your room?

Can you / do you want to make it pitch black, or will the projector have to compete with ambient light?

Five years ago, you had to spend $7,500-$10,000 to get a really good projector. Nowadays, I don't think that's so true any more. Sure, there are projectors that cost up to or more than twice as much as your budget, but I don't think they're going to produce a stunningly better image than something in the $3,500 - $5,000 range.

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 08:55 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The throw is extremely short, I would say maybe 15-20 feet from digital to wall. The home theater room is mainly for games and cable and the occasional movie. The lighting will be both pitch black and slightly dim. It would be nice to have a projector that will have a great picture regardless of lighting. I am guessing that means I want something with extremely high lumens?

Also what kind of screen should I be looking to buy? I was thinking just the white perforated screen for a center channel behind. Someone made a mention of a yellow screen--don't believe I am familiar with a yellow screen.

I don't have a defined screen size yet. I am looking for something that won't be too overpowering and have the front row of a theater effect where you have to turn your entire head to see different parts of the screen. The screen will probably wind up being something around 7-10 feet in height by 12-15 feet in width.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a big picture for sitting that close. You're going to lose light projecting on that much surface area. You may need to purchase an after market "fish eye" lens. Keep in mind perforated screens lose light. I've mentioned on here before I'm a fan of speakers just below the screen... but I believe someone also made mention of screen materials that aren't perforated, yet are supposedly acoustically transparent. You will also need to have the screen further back from the wall to accommodate space for the speakers... since space is an issue.
Lighting in the room is usually an issue as well. I bought black out curtains for my living room. Works fairly well. I find having any lights on will have a negative impact on the image.

Figuring out your geek room does take lots of consideration. It's much easier to get everything the way you want it the first shot. Good luck [beer]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2009 05:13 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first question to ask yourself is which type of projector technology? The most common are either single chip DLP or 3LCD. Personally I prefere and bought a 3LCD simply because there is no rainbow effect caused by the use of a color wheel. Now not everyone can see this effect, though I still have not met a projectionist who can't. I believe it is now the bigger seller of the two main consumer technologies.

As for filling a screen that big around the 1500-2000 lumin would do and also have some room for ambient light.

Personally I agree that the screen is probably too big for the room. As with a cinema unless its real Imax you dont wan't to be closer than 1 screen hight back from the screen, 3 hights back is probably a good back row for 1080p gear.

I have a Panasonic AE100 720p projector which I use on a 6ft wide screen in the living room or on a 16ft inflatable in the backyard. I love mine!

Personally Geoff's AE3000 1080p is a great choice. It will automatically zoom out to a preset a full scope image at the touch of a button on your genuine 2.39 screen [thumbsup] 1600 lumins and 3lcd.

The other thing to look into is replacement bulb price before you buy, some brands are reasonable others are quite a shock [Eek!]

With 1080p models now starting at $999 it no longer something for the rich and famous!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-10-2009 05:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the Canon LCOS video projectors. The contrast ratio is relatively poor, but the image is "smooth" and without visible pixels. They come with fairly short lenss, which may or may not be what you want. One issue with these is that the color balance tends toward "blue," which may or may not bother you.

Another option would be a CRT projector. I've never liked them, personally, but they have the best contrast ratio. Unfortunately, light output is limited.

Don't buy a single-chip DLP without testing it. Some people are really bothered by the color-wheel effect, while others aren't. Newer ones are better than older models (color wheels spin faster now).

Seriously, though, you could get a decent 35mm setup for your price range (either two machines or a single machine with a platter or double-MUT).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were going to buy a home projector I'd definately look very closley at all the brands of LCOS projectors. None of the others would interest me in the slightest because of the visible pixel issues.

Mark

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2009 09:16 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark-

I am familiar with the technology behind LCoS projectors--I don't know any brands that actually offer LCoS though. Do you know any brands off the top of your head that use LCoS chips/technology?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2009 10:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got lucky thanks to a friend and purchased a Pioneer KURO FPJ1 while it was being discontinued. I'd highly recommend getting something that is 1080p.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2009 12:53 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you know any brands off the top of your head that use LCoS chips/technology?

| IP: Log

quote: Scott Norwood
Look at the Canon LCOS video projectors.
I think both sony and jvc offer a similar product.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-11-2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JVC was the originator of LCOS along with Hughes Aircraft back in the late 1980s. Their first public demonstration of the technology for professional cinema use was in the late '90s when Star Wars Episode I came out. Got to see it myself at Pacific's Winnetka at that time, along with an early version of DLP (complete with scalloped fixed-pattern noise) for the same film the same day over at the Burbank Media Center.

Was fun to compare the look of DLP, LCOS, and a 35mm print all on the same day at different locations.

For home use at present, I'm a fan of 3LCD machines. The current Panasonic AE-PT series are great bang-for-the-buck 1080p machines.

Yes, Sony sells the technology as well - they call their implementation of it SXRD.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2009 09:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What really caught my eye was the incredible color reproduction on the JVC LCOS they demoed a number of years back at Showest. It was stunning to say the least.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: