Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » BluRay Future Spec Wish List (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BluRay Future Spec Wish List
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-19-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you want to see in the next generation BluRay profile?

1)"Anamorphic" scope support
Scope movies would be written on the disc at 1920x1080 full resolution, without letterboxes, and then squeezed into a letterbox for most 16x9 displays. Those of us with constant image height native scope screens and anamorphic lenses would benefit from improved clarity on scope movies. This would also negate the need for a home scaller.

2) Dual full resolution output
Would enable synchronous left and right eye output for 3D capable displays or dual projector set ups.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 02:02 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding #1 - that would render all the current crop of HDTVs useless...at least all I have seen. When the HD signal is present it automatically fills the 16x9 screen. You might as well say all 1.33:1 material should be stretched wider in the mastering too and then squeezed back by the TV to create additional resolution.

Sorry Mike but your suggestion - which appeals to my instincts as a movie enthusiast - would actually appease very few and piss off very many.

The 3D thing is probably inevitable.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 04:32 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that could be done by the blu-ray player; just like right now 16x9 anamorphic material on dvd shows fine on 4x3 tv's, a blu-ray player could easily output scope as a letterboxed 16x9 image if you don't have an appropriate display so no compatibility issues there.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-19-2009 06:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HDMI 1.4 standard is in its final stages of design and due to appear in electronics products starting early 2010.

Ethernet support is being added (bidirectional T100).

HDMI 1.4 will feature an "audio return channel" which is somehow supposed to reduce the number of cables in a home theater setup. It involves the HDTV set relaying audio to the AV receiver. Um, isn't the receiver supposed to get all the signal inputs? Maybe this is for OTA broadcast TV stuff or something. I don't know.

HDMI 1.4 will support higher "2K" and "4K" resolutions:
3840x2160 24Hz/25Hz/30Hz
4096x2160 24Hz
Don't hold your breath for movies on Blu-ray to be encoded at that level. The higher resolutions might be useful for computer monitor support.

HDMI 1.4 is supposed to support whatever full color 3D standard is standardized, which should happen within the next few months.

HDMI 1.4 will improve support for various color models (sYCC601, Adobe RGB and AdobeYCC601)

HDMI 1.4 will also introduce the Micro HDMI connector standard. It's half the size of the Mini HDMI plug (which you hardly see in any electronics store; loads of fun if you want to hook up that new HD-capable DSLR camera to your TV set).

Regarding anamorphic HD, I wouldn't bet on it happening. I think the market for it (home projection setups) is just too small. Anamorphic enhancement was a necessity with DVD (working with both 4:3 SD televisions and 16:9 models). And even heated debate raged on whether or not DVDs should be anamorphic enhanced.

The lone argument the non-anamorphic crowd had on their side was that such DVDs weren't showing a pixel for pixel representation of the image. Everything was either stretched or down-sampled actively, which could possibly affect picture quality in a negative manner. Standard definition TV sets have such low resolution that it was tough for me to tell any difference in image quality between an anamorphic and non-anamorphic DVD. A large HDTV set can show off detail a lot better, and that includes any flaws in the video image. What kind of flaws would anamorphic enhanced 1080p HD add to a Blu-ray disc? Would those flaws, if any, be tolerated by the vast majority of BD player owners with regular TV sets.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 12:16 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
Scope movies would be written on the disc at 1920x1080 full resolution, without letterboxes, and then squeezed into a letterbox for most 16x9 displays. Those of us with constant image height native scope screens and anamorphic lenses would benefit from improved clarity on scope movies. This would also negate the need for a home scaller.

Sounds great and all but the problem will be that plenty of people will be pissed that they buy a disc that won't play right because of their player... and I'm not referring to simply updating firmware.

There are players out there that don't have an easy way to update the firmware to supporting the newer specs or wouldn't have the hardware at all to support it. So you'll either have people who are angry that the new movie they bought require them to buy a new player or you'll have to have the disc have two copies of the movie (one that's anamorphic and one that's not), then have some way of magic to tell the player to use the right one.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-20-2009 12:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about HDSDI output and the ability to play all disks (at least the "movie" part) without firmware updates. Oh, and support for sound from five screen channels (a la Todd-AO/format 40/SDDS).

Not that these will ever happen.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-20-2009 01:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just give me a PROFESSIONAL player! You know, with rack mounts, HDSDI outputs, RS232 controlled...etc. Oh and lets skip all of the region and HDCP BS too...we're professionals here.

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-20-2009 08:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the copy protection stuff is bound to the Blu-ray format. I don't expect Hollywood movie studios to ever allow any BD players made with HD-SDI outputs, much less anything that plays without the HDCP stuff. They can't even allow computer-based players to do any screen captures.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically, when Laserdisc became a non-entity, two or three titles had been pressed in Japan with just this feature, at at video projection setups. At the time, all high-end video rooms used projectors. For the life of me, I can't remember which titles they were, though I tried to get hold of them at the time. This was one of those defensive features they were coming up with re: DVDs.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-21-2009 05:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LaserDiscs were just 16:9 anamorphic, like DVDs. I used to remember which titles they were, but mostly you got them for free when buying a widescreen TV.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2009 06:41 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing "The Fugitive" on a 16x9 laserdisc.

What I would love to see is all television in 16x9 anamorphic.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mode where you put in the disc, and the movie starts. No trailers, no FBI BS, just the movie. By no means should any studio think that they have the right to stop me from using ANY function on my player (or remote). Like when I hit "next" and I get a message on the screen that says that function is not allowed by the disc. It's my player, I payed good money for it, the greedy studios should not be able to stop it from doing what I want.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2009 10:36 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Would it be possible to have to versions on either side of the Blue-Ray disk(sideA anaphoric/ sideB letterbox) like some DVDs do now(sideA pan and scan/sideB letterbox)?

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blu-ray is not able/willing to do a "flipper" disc. The discs are already very thick, and gluing two together wouldn't make the players all that happy, I think.

Besides, HD DVD had a hell of a time with HD DVD/DVD combo discs when they first came out. I think they finally ironed out the problems near the end, but then it didn't matter anymore.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a Blu-Ray disc the recording is close to the front surface of the disc, so it should be possible to make a dual sided disc. It may require a different pressing machine, or adjustments to the pressing machine, or just a different sized "puck" in the middle, depending on just how the disc is made, and put together.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: