Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » WHEN THE LION ROARS on Blu-Ray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WHEN THE LION ROARS on Blu-Ray
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 04:01 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude - this is for you!

According to Amazon the Wizard of Oz Blu-ray Collector's Edition has a pretty neat Blu- ray exclusive: 6 hour MGM documentary When the Lion Roars. I guess they heard you!

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But will When The Lion Roars be remastered in HD, or like may Blu-Ray extras, only be SD resolution?

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't specify. Here is the text:

Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary 4 Disc Blu-Ray Amazon Exclusive in LIMITED and NUMBERED one-of-a-kind collectible packaging - Contains 16 Hours of Enhanced Content, Four of Which Are Brand New, Including New Documentaries, Featurettes, Digital Copy on Disc and Rare and highly collectible memorabilia. Premiums include: 52-pg. Production History Book, Behind the Curtain; Exclusive 70th Anniversary Watch with genuine crystals; Reproduction of the original film budget; 1939 Campaign Book. Blu-Ray Exclusive: 6 hour MGM documentary When the Lion Roars. Exclusive to Amazon are a set of 4 collectible poster cards featuring the characters of Wizard of Oz.

You might notice that Amazon claims they have a four disc version vs. the announced two disc blu-ray. Perhaps they are confusing it with the DVD version which is four discs...or maybe they have two exclusive discs. They are the only source I have seen that claim you get a digital copy.

Here's a link to another source. It gives more details about the special content:

Wizard Blu-ray

Here is the list of features from that page:

Disc Features:
Disc 1:
• Sing-along Track (NEW)
• Commentary by John Fricke with Barbara Freed-Saltzman (daughter of Arthur Freed), Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, John Lahr (son of Bert Lahr), Jane Lahr (daughter of Bert Lahr), Hamilton Meserve (son of Margaret Hamilton), Dona Massin (MGM choreographer), William Tuttle (make-up artist), Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy, and Jerry Maren
• The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook
• Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz
• We Haven't Really Met Properly
• Music and Effects Track
• Original Mono Track
• The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic [1990 TV special]
• Memories of Oz [2001 TCM documentary]
• The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz
• Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz
• Harold Arlen's Home Movies
• Outtakes and Deleted Scenes
• It's a Twister! It's a Twister! The Tornado Tests
• Off to See the Wizard
• 3 Vault Shorts
• Audio Jukebox Selection
• Still Galleries
• Six Theatrical Trailers

Disc 2:
• Victor Fleming: Master Craftsman (NEW)
• L. Frank Baum: The Man Behind the Curtain
• Celebrating Hollywood's Biggest Little Stars (NEW)
• The Dreamer of Oz [1990 TV special] (NEW)
• The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910)
• The Wizard of Oz [1933]
• His Majesty, The Scarecrow of Oz
• The Magic Cloak of Oz [1914] (NEW)
• The Patchwork Girl of Oz [1914] (NEW)
• The Wizard of Oz [1925 feature]

HD Exclusive Content:
• MGM: When The Lion Roars Documentary

Even though this is not one of my favorite movies I am buying it for all the new/old material I have never seen.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-30-2009 04:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the 'Heads Up', Joe

I already have WHEN THE LION ROARS on laserdisc in a box set and on DVD. THE WIZARD OF OZ was never my favorite move even when I was little and doubt very much if I will get the Blu Ray of the movie because I already sprung for the DVD deluxe set when it was released a little over a year ago. It is too bad WHEN THE LION ROARS will not be on the BEN-HUR or the GONE WITH THE WIND deluxe Bly Ray set because I will be getting them.

-Claude

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-31-2009 11:38 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This photo clearly shows just two discs.

-

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 09:19 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Bros. will be presenting a one night only event on Wed. Sept. 23rd. of presenting the "The Wizard of Oz" in HI-Def at theatres around the country.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 10:11 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So will this lead to us getting a remastered version of "The Wiz"? [Wink]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2009 11:38 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
Warner Bros. will be presenting a one night only event on Wed. Sept. 23rd. of presenting the "The Wizard of Oz" in HI-Def at theatres around the country.
2k DLP or blu-ray over the crap pre-show projector?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betting the latter.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-11-2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The WIZARD OF OZ was remastered in 4K for the Blu Ray & DVD release and this is what will be presented at the one day theatrical showing. As I had mentioned, the film is not a favorite and will not bother to get the BD or see the movie in a theatre.

GONE WITH THE WIND is getting a similar treatment on Blu Ray and DVD in November and a press release is up at The Digital Bits web site. WHEN THE LION ROARS will also be included in the BD set of GWTW only and it will be on a DVD that is now available.

-Claude

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The doc. "MGM: When the Lion Roars" is standard-Def dvd.
The blu-ray disc looks great. The Limited Edition package looks good too.

Mine is 575 of 243,000

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-22-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

The WIZARD OF OZ set in Blu Ray is not expected until next week, How did you get it so early? Since you have it, is it as great as people have been saying it is. If you have the CASABLANCA Bku Ray set, how does the picture quality compare as far as sharpness is concerned? I said I was going to pass on this set earlier but I am now considering it.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 01:56 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen caps I have seen are amazing. Here's a review with some...

OZ Blu-ray Review

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in HD on TNT I think almost a year ago.

Looked great.

Have it on good authority that the "Oz" event tonight is coming in over the, what, 1.3K preview projectors that have replaced slide shows.

BTW, SOT, what is 1.3K compared to SD TV?

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the TNT showings were the previous HD transfer created for a DVD release. Same thing with Gone With The Wind. These new versions should be noticeably better for a variety of reasons.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: