Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Coby home theater systems

Author Topic: Coby home theater systems
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2009 01:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good friend in a distant city who is asking my opinions on Coby products. She's got these "points" built up on her credit card and is thinking of using them to buy this home-theater system. From the description she read me, it seems to have all the necessary capabilities as far as formats, (although it's not blu-ray), has four speakers + subwoofer, but outside of that the only thing she knows is, it's a "300 watt" system and is made by Coby. She doesn't know the model number, unfortunately -- this is one of those deals that come in the credit card statement.

From the little bit of info I've found online, it seems like the brand gets pretty bad reviews quite often. Anyone here ever had any experience with that brand?

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2009 02:04 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coby has a home theatre system?

That's insane!

I have only seen that brand on CD Players that they sell in Dollar Stores. Really cheap pieces of crap that they sell in dollar stores.

Seriously, your friend should take that as an insult and a sign that they should get rid of that particular credit card!

John Henry
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2009 02:08 PM      Profile for John Henry   Email John Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had won a CD player by Coby in a raffle for a fundraiser...I used it at my office desk, and only lasted 2 months. Personally I would not get another Coby product. My 2 cents worth

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-28-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coby is rebranded low-end crap from the far east. I don't believe the company actually manufactures any of their products.

They used to have some rebranded DVD players built by Sampo, who were once a favorite of the region/PAL-hacking crowd, after Sampo decided to pull their brand from the US market.

Their whole business model is electronics at bargain price points. They're built as cheaply as possible, and they show it.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2009 03:33 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was given one of those portable DVD players for my birthday. It's a Coby brand. No real complaints so far, except the battery always needs charging. I can have it off overnight, and plug it in the next day and the battery will show that it's charging. But it plays mp3's as well, which is mainly what it gets used for. I have the original stock '94 honda radio in my car /w tape deck. So having something that plays CD's and MP3's is nice. I guess QC at Coby isn't the best( [bs] ), because 1 minute I'll hear bad shit ( [bs] )about them, and the next I'll hear high praise( [thumbsup] ).

We're either getting a Coby distro center, or a Coby plant here. There's a nice sized plot of land our MPC cleared and set up at the crossing of I-16 and I-95 anticipating a Dahmler Chrysler plant that never happened. I believe that's where Coby's supposed to be going. It's about time they did something with that land. The taxpayers paid alot just to have that land sit fallow for so many years.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2009 05:44 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same experience as everybody else. Once got an mp3 "boombox" player 'cos it was the only one at the time we found that could read SD memory cards and had half-decent sized speakers on-board and mic recording.

It was cheap in all senses.

As others said, it's just a name sticker in basement-bargain chinese electronics which usually means short-lived products full of quirks.

You may get lucky with the eventual odd-product that actually works as it should and for longer than a couple of years, but that's the exception while the opposite is the norm.

For a home theatre, I would rather get something else and use the cc points elsewhere. Usually trusted brands like Sony or Philips i.e. has a whole range of low-end home theater systems at low price points.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely horrible equipment, everything they make. Its right up there with such well-respected names as APEX.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 02:14 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't had a proper stereo system in years. Always waiting for the next thing. Then I had a baby and figured that a stereo would wake the baby.

My Father In Law, seeing a need, bought a Kirsh Home Theatre system in a Box off the back of a truck in a parking lot somewhere. He proudly presented it to me. I looked it up on the Internet and came across "The White Van Scam." They dummied up a website that said that the Kirsh Home Theatre system cost $2,400. Then the guy in the van would say that he had one left over and that he can cut you a smoking deal. The typical mark gets taken for $500. My Father In Law only got taken for $80 cash.

I hooked it up and got some kind of noise out of the Subwoofer but the other speakers didn't work.

My wife told him that he got scammed and he was very embarased.

Anyway I ended up using a Sony receiver I found in the alley behind my house and some Radio Shack Optimus Pro X77 speakers that my wife's previous husband had put up in the garage and got a decent system for $0.

Anyway, I have a nice Kirsh Home Theatre System for sale. It's only been used once. $500 [Roll Eyes]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2009 02:46 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Technics receiver that I've had for a while. Incidentally, it's only Pro-logic, not Prologic II, but it must have some sort of un advertised scheme for separating the surrounds into 2 channels. I can hear sound pan between the 2 surround speakers at times. I lack a center speaker, and so have it in Phantom center mode, not sure if that messes with the matrixing of the surrounds tho.

Either rate, it's nothing fancy, and not the biggest/baddest system of its time, but I've been very happy with it. My "stage" speakers are just a set of $70 technics speakers, and the surrounds are a set of speakers that came with an old magnavox all in one (Phono/Tape/Radio) unit. They work good, though I do have to turn up my surround channel alot to get them to balance. Correct impedance tho, just weaker I guess.

Technics isn't exactly generic, but it definitely isn't designer level.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-03-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar one from Wal-Mart that she can have if she pays the UPS on it...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: