Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 3D content in the homes in Q4 ... or not

Author Topic: 3D content in the homes in Q4 ... or not
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2009 06:07 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess some people couldn't wait for 3-D blu-rays ...

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43326/98/

quote:
3D movie downloads due in Q4, says Sonic

Novato (CA) - Sonic Solutions is planning to offer consumers a new way to watch 3D movies at home by the end of the year.

Sonic's plan for the digital delivery of 3D entertainment includes professional tools for preparing content for electronic distribution and sell-through, services for delivery of device-optimized 3D content, and software for PC playback. The only thing missing so far is content.

Asked what 3D titles are currently available, Sonic Solutions Director of Public Relations, told TG Daily:

"This is a technology announcement rather than a consumer launch, so we are not able to answer your question at this time. I can tell you that we are targeting the 4th quarter for the release of the tech platform and titles, when we anticipate a mix of tier-one movies as well as sports and concert videos, although we don't have a title count or specific studios to name at this time."

Nothing really to see. Small players trying to get ahead of the big studios and getting a foothold into the 3D business have come and go for the past 20 years since LCS shutter glasses have been marketed for home 3D application.

In spite of a couple dozen true 3-D, full color, nice quality (field-sequential) 3D DVD titles, nobody has managed to really get the 3D ball rolling due mostly to the goofy wired (or battery operated) glasses and not-universal-compatibility of the thing (i.e. only some 120/100hz screens worked really well).

Another reason is that the general public is just NOT that interested in 3D in reality. Sure, if it's easy and free they'll enjoy a goofy movie or two with the glasses. If there is anything to setup or plug-in or it's more expensive than 2D, 90% are gonna pass.

But anyway. 3D will eventually get to the home, sooner rather than later, but nobody is really going to care. Actually, 3D is really available now, as 3D flat-panel TV's abound in the market, both with active and passive glasses, and hollywood 3D content exists today in DVD's (i.e. field-sequential editions of Spy Kids and Lavagirl-Sharkboy), but not yet in HD on blu-ray in a format that makes good use of it. Yet.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-03-2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I think Disney and Pixar will care -- even if it's a small percentage of the general pop who will be enamored by 3D, that is a nice market share for all the 3D digital titles that have already been released and can be re-sold as well as for what seems to be an continuing stream of 3D content at least for the near future. Do you not think James Cameron will be salivating at the idea that AVITAR could be seen in 3D at home and that the 3D version could be sold at a premium?

An easy system could open up a huge market, especially with younger, techno-savvy population that I don't think the studios will want to write off. Younger consumers are not daunted by hooking up a relatively simple alternate frame/shutter glasses system if it can get them to watch a hot movie title in 3D.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when the Landmark and Regal CEOs crowed to reporters about how their companies were installing 1000 3D-capable digital projectors and they waxed poetic about how the main reason why 3D was so important for theatres to buy into was because it guaranteed exclusivity for an experience that could ONLY be created in the cinema, thus insuring that the threating home theatre would never be able to duplicate what they could offer in their cinemas, i.e., 3D movies.

Remember how I laughed my ass off, seeing as how I had a bunch of 50s movies in 3D (HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL M FOR MURDER, KISS ME KATE, JAWS-3D, STAR CHASER, THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATLE, etc.) all in field-sequential 3D, all using the same LCD technology glasses that IMAX uses for their 3D presentations. I had been enjoying these movies projected on an 8ft diagonal screen any time I wanted and wowing my family and friends since the 80s. Yet, here were these doofuses making noise about how only their theatres could show the Hollywood 3D product and Joe Home Theatre would never be able to duplicate it. The studios naturally trumpted the same line encouraging Mr. Gullible Exhibitor to fork over 3D size barrels of money for 3D technology.

Theoretically with the F/S 3D films I have, I could even use 2 video projectors, a silver screen and use polaroid glasses no different than they use in the theatres.

Anyway, seems like even more sophistocated and more user friendly home 3D technology is just around the corner.

From the SMPTE no less, inviting members to an on-line webcast on the advancing 3D home technology: SMPTE - Home 3D

quote:
Stereoscopic Devices in the Home

Most of us are now aware of or have experienced stereoscopic 3D in the movie theaters. There is, however, a tremendous amount of activity underway to bring the experience and glasses-free, autostereoscopic technology to the home. For notebooks, monitors, TVs and home theater projectors, several 3D technologies are starting to enter the home. For small screens, 3D technology is starting to be commercialized for use in cell phones/smartphones, camera systems and picture frames. Creating the 3D ecosystem requires content, a delivery mechanism and a display system. Please join our guest speaker Chris Chinnock as he explores the various platforms available in the home, describes basic in-home display approaches, updates us on the status of current products and the expectations for future products.

And these guys aren't even talking about using glasses -- they are working on glass-free technology. So much for theatrical exclusivity.....poor poor Regal & Landmark.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole deal about 3D has, I believe, always been to push into digital, selling Koolaid that some people swallowed.

Of course, 3D is also a fresh-new thing for people that weren't around during the 50's and the 80's.

As you said, a number of us have been watching 3D films in field-sequential formats either with active LCS glasses or with passive polarized projectors or flat monitors since the 80's right at home.

We all also know that 3D can be easily done in 35mm w/o the need to go digital at all, which actually only reduces the quality, although I admit that digital forms a more projection-booth-idiot-proof system, which today, with the many monkey-operated operations around, could be quite an issue for film-based 3D ...

But make no mistake. The day after enough good 3D material exists to push into the houses, and the demand arises, the manufacturers will be ready there with all the home 3D solutions you may ever want/need ... And of good quality and affordable prices.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: