Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » If you want a 3D TV, this may do

Author Topic: If you want a 3D TV, this may do
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2009 01:20 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, it looks like this 47" could be the coolest 3D TV in the market today (if you live in Korea [Big Grin] ).

LG Korea release a 3D version of its 47LH50 LCD TV

Followed by the JVC 46"

http://www.displayblog.com/2009/04/13/jvc-gd-463d10-46-1080p-3d-lcd-tv/

Now that there are these better options, I personally wouldn't consider the other similar ones (hyundai, soyo, zalman, etc), except price-wise. They still want upwards of $3000 (and even over $4000) for the "good ones".

All these flat panel TV's use passive circular polarized glasses. The standards to deliver 3D content on blu-ray discs to the home are already well underway, so chances are it will only take a few years top to get decent HD 3D into the homes at sensible prices in a convinient factor.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-18-2009 03:19 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julio Roberto
The standards to deliver 3D content on blu-ray discs to the home are already well underway
I truly hope that is the case, but can you elaborate on that?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, sorry, I missed this thread [uhoh]

The HDMI consortium already issued specs 1.4:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/index.aspx

quote:
3D Over HDMI – Defines input/output protocols for major 3D video formats, paving the way for true 3D gaming and 3D home theater applications.
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/3d.aspx

quote:
The latest version of the HDMI standard establishes critical infrastructure for implementing 3D video in the home, defining input/output protocols that will allow 3D displays and source devices to communicate through an HDMI link. It’s a major milestone on the path to bringing true 3D gaming and 3D home theater to the mass market, supporting resolutions up to 1080p in 3D.

3D technology is evolving rapidly, with several competing approaches under development, so the HDMI 1.4 specification establishes protocols for a number of popular 3D display methods, including:

Frame, line, or field alternative methods
Side by side methods (full and half)
2D plus depth methods
A complete list of the supported 3D formats can be found in the HDMI 1.4 specification.

Then, the blu-ray consortium established a task force for stereoscopic 3D transport:

http://www.dvd-intelligence.com/display-article.php?article=656

quote:
The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has formed a 3-D task force made up of members from the motion picture, consumer electronics and IT sectors, to ease “the integration of 3-D technology into the Blu-ray Disc format,” according to a statement from the group.

The BDA has not revealed details and when exactly the specifications are set to be defined.

Some makers of consumer electronics expect the standards to be finalized in 2010 – 2011 timeframe, however, it may be too optimistic prediction.

So as soon as they decide on the spec, then we'll be there. I'm on the camp that thinks this will happen well before 2012, perhaps as early as 2010, but maybe it'll end up being 2011.

Regardless, in a few years all the pieces of the puzzle for 3D-at-home in a good, affordable (for some [Razz] ) and convenient manner, should be here.

All the hardware manufacturers have all of the available possible solutions already developed and ready to hit the market the moment a standard is chosen.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 10:03 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just some update:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090901-715014.html

quote:
WALL STREET JOURNAL - TOKYO (Dow Jones)--Sony Corp. (6758.TO) will announce plans to sell 3D televisions globally by the end of 2010, the Financial Times reported Wednesday.

Speaking at the IFA technology trade show in Berlin, Sony chief Howard Stringer will announce plans to not only sell 3D Bravia television sets, but to make Sony's Vaio laptop computers, PlayStation 3 game consoles and Blu Ray disc players compatible with the technology, the paper said.

Sony has given no indication of prices, but analysts expect early 3D TVs to cost several thousand dollars.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43841/135/

quote:
Three-D televisions could be about to take off, following the announcement that the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is to support the format. Meanwhile, Sony is expected to announce a range of 3D products later today.

“The BDA intends to take full advantage of [Blu-ray's] high bandwidth and capacity to achieve the very highest possible quality 3D experience,” said Victor Matsuda, Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee Chair.

The BDA is working on a spec, but says that, at a minimum, it will require delivery of 1080p resolution to each eye. It's promising backward compatibility for both discs and players. Thus, 3D discs will also include a 2D version of the film that can be viewed on existing 2D players, and 3D players will still allow users to play back their existing 2D movies.

“The 3D theatrical market has been very successful this year," said Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. "We are just now seeing all of the true capabilities of 3D, and with Blu-ray Disc’s superior technical characteristics, as well as the broad industry support of the format, it makes it the ideal packaged media platform for 3D home entertainment.”

Meanwhile, according to the Financial Times, Sony is expected to announce later today that it will have 3D products in the shops by the end of the year. It is likely to launch Bravia televisions, Vaio laptops, PlayStation 3 consoles and Blu-ray disk players.

It's not clear how far these products will conform to the BDA specification, although the FT does say that the company is plumping for 'active shutter' technology, rather than the polarisation technique used in 3D films.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, looks like field sequential is going to be the home 3D delivery system of choice for the foreseeable future. While it's not the level of technology we prefer it makes the most sense if we are going to have any near term option.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 12:37 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The system itself won't really matter, as you can "convert" any format into any format. And it's very unlikely it will be field sequential. Perhaps frame sequential, but I doubt they'll do field-seq as that would serious impact the compatibility of playing such a stream into an existing 1080p TV in 2D.

What I mean is that, i.e., theatres are "frame sequential" in the sense they are 48fps left-right-left-right (scanned 3 times each at 144hz). But that doesn't prevent Sony from taking the same DCP 48fps and putting one frame on top of the other in their 4K.

Same thing here, at the home market. Only piece missing is how blu-ray is going to output the signal. Once that is known, you can convert anything into anything. I.e. a TV can just take the signal and "interlace it" for line-alternating polarized output. Or checkerboard it, for checkeboard polarization. Or use it to compute polarization steering map, like in dual-panel 3-D monitors. Or a demultiplexer box can take two consecutive sequential frames and ouput to dual HDMI for dual home projectors. Etc.

So it won't really matter WHAT standard is chosen for blu-ray to ouput two frames, one for each eye (when before there was only one frame), all that matters is that one standard IS chosen and, if possible, semi-compatible with existing stuff (i.e. 2D will still work just fine in current players and TV's).

On the other side, current TV's, even if 120hz+, pbbly won't be able to (directly) cope with the signal, as their HDMI (say 1.3) inputs likely didn't allow for say 48fps frame sequential inputs, ie. And if you do field-sequential, you lose half the resolution to begin with, and I think they are trying to avoid that. Plus I don't think the 120hz tv's refresh each field individually: moderns TV's display progressively (some may process interlace, but almost all of them display progressive even if processed interlaced).

So yes. It means that, basically, chances are you need a new television AND a new blu-ray player to do (proper) 3-D TV. The television can be sequential with active glasses or polarized with passive ones, your choice. Dual projection I have the feeling might require a little de-multiplexing box adapter, pbbly.

Those saying that stuff like 3D or 4K-at-home or 8K won't happen for a long time, don't know that they are probably just as much right as they are wrong.

There is no "need" for 3D or 4K or 8K+ or any of these thing. Heck, there isn't even a need for HD. Consumers, at least in 25fps 720x576 anamorphic 16:9 TV sets PAL-land, are perfectly happy with DVD quality. Sure HD is much better (the difference in quality is much more pronounced in 720x480 pull-down interlaced 60i NTSC-land), but I don't see people running around rushing for blu-rays around here. Most buy an HD TV ... but use it to watch SD material 99% of the time. Most (illegally) downloaded from the internet and re-compressed like 4 times, btw.

But 3-D and 4K and 8K and 240hz and 480hz and 600hz and 10000000000:1 contrast sets and 2.35:1 TV's will come (or are here already) not because they are "needed" ... but because they don't really cost much more to manufacture and manufacturer's know they must put out something new and superior if they want to convince people to "throw away" their just-purchased and perfectly good HD TV to buy yet another one. Or, at least, they can differenciate from the competition and command higher prices even if nobody really cares about 4K-at-home or 3D or 600hz.

Otherwise, once everybody gets their new HD TV set, nobody would ever purchase a single one for 25 years, since current HD TV's certainly have ALL the quality needed for your average home movie-watching experience at reasonable prices.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2009 11:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when a selling point on a TV was whether it had PiP or not...my how things have changed.

Someone should regulate or at least stifle these electronics manufacturers because with all this techno babel, they're just making the consumer dumber because it's getting so hard to understand all the marketing and hype.

I thank God I'm a geek and get most of it.

I also love my 34" CRT 1080i set.

[Big Grin]

AJG

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2009 04:25 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.techradar.com/news/television/the-complete-guide-to-3d-tv-625792

quote:
Sky has announced that it's to launch a 3D TV channel next year for subscribers to its Sky+HD service, but is the UK ready for another dimension?

Before the shock announcement, 3D TVs had been expected to go on sale in 2011, though manufacturers are bound to now bring their plans forward.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2009 06:41 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a 240hz, "cinemascope" ratio TV, 56", polarized 3D capable, 2.5K resolution TV....

just get this one [Wink]

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/03/philips-56-inch-21-9-3d-tvs-futures-so-bright-we-had-to-wear/

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2009 04:12 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can wait a little longer til 2010, and drink some Sony Koolaid:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200909/09-099E/

[link includes video of Sony's 3D TV announcement for 2010]

I have the feeling that the excuse of 3D-in-the-theater as something people couldn't do at home will, hopefully, now show its true color as the marketing-lie it always was.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: