Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "24" addiction

Author Topic: "24" addiction
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-23-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"24" for a number of years was the only program I troubled myself to watch on television after I got hooked when I saw the first season on DVD. Despite the endless amount of commercials, watching the show every monday night during it's regular season run was something I had looked forward to very much. For some reason, I was not able to get too excited with the current season seven after seeing the first couple of episodes. I found it had become very tedious and very boring and stopped watching. It was a good thing I did that because after reading how other fans have been raving how good the current season is and consider it one of the best in the series, I bought a Blu Ray copy of the show last week and decided to give it another chance, Like the over the air broadcast, I was bored during the first three or four episodes but all of a sudden I got hooked and now agree with almost everyone, it is one of the best show in the the series so far. Because the BD has no commercial, "24" was a joy o watch and I have decided to hold off watching the show next season on television until it is released on Blu Ray and DVD.

I had watched a couple of scenes of the show on television in HD when I bought my new television and the picture and sound quality is astounding. on BD compared to the TV broadcast. Because my local Fox affiliate doest not air HD programming with 5.1 sound yet, hearing the show's soundtrack in DTS 5.1 on BD was a tremendous difference compared to regular Dolby Surround on cable. Even the 1080p picture on the BD was a big difference compared to the 1080i broadcast. Since last Tuesday, I had watched fourteen episodes of season seven so far and it is getting better and better. I just cannot wait until tonight to continue watching the show.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-23-2009 07:07 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an interesting aside, "24" Season 7 was released on DVD and Blu-ray the day after the last show of Season 7 aired, instead of the usual 5-6 months later you see with most shows.

Wonder if it helped sales or not...

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-23-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this was a great marketing ploy, Sam. I do however suspect the writer's strike had something to do with it because the producers of the show decided to wait a year so season seven can run without interruption. Because Season Seven has been in the can a long time, there was a lot of time to prepare the show for home video on DVD & Blu Ray. I suspect next year[s show will not be out on video the day after the season finale on television because more time will be needed to prepare the home video version because the production of the show might have wrapped only a few weeks before it was aired on TV.

-Claude

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 03:54 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably part of the reason the Blu-ray looks better than the broadcast (besides higher bandwidth) is the fact that Fox broadcast HD is 720p and the Blu-ray is (probably) a 1080p master. The show is shot on 35mm film so there is a lot more native detail than 720p.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: