Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Are 120hz televisions ideal for 24fps blu ray playback? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are 120hz televisions ideal for 24fps blu ray playback?
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told that 120hz television is ideal for blu ray 24fps playback. Personally my eyes tell me it it looks wrong, Nothing like it did when I ran it at the cinema. Is there any truth in the statment below?

quote:
I'd like to make one comment about the 120 Hz feature. To the best of my knowledge, this feature is meant to display movies at their native frame rate (24 fps) -- exactly as the filmmakers intended it to look. Here's how:

A typical projector updates the image at 60 fps. If you try to show a 24 fps movie on a 60fps video display, each frame of the movie gets displayed for more than one frame of video. At 60 fps:

60 fps / 24 fps = 2.5 video frames per film frame.

Since you can't evenly divide the film frames into the video frames, you have to use a process called "pulldown" to evenly divide the film frames across the video frames. Here's what it looks like:

1 1 2 2 2 3 3 4 4 4

That's 4 frames of film as they are displayed on a 60fps device. Note that frame 1 gets two slots, but frame 2 gets three slots. So each frame of film is not on screen for exactly 1/24 of a second. In fact, frame 1 gets shown for 1/30th of a second and frame 2 gets shown for 1/20th of a second.

So it's not really 24fps. It's flopping between 1/20th and 1/30th as necessary to keep the frames synced and AVERAGING OUT to 24fps.

The beauty of 120Hz technology is that you can divide 24 into 120 evenly:

120 fps / 24 fps = 5 video frames per film frame.

So now your video frames look like this:

1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4

Notice how every frame of film gets exactly 5 frames of video at 120Hz? Guess what -- that's 24fps. EXACTLY. The way the filmmakers intended.

120 Hz technology is often advertised as providing "smoother" motion. This is true -- in smooth panning shots, the 3:2 pulldown process INTRODUCES JUDDER. At 120Hz, the judder does not get introduced, thus it is smoother.

However, 120Hz is NOT meant to add any additional temporal information, and shouldn't make your movies look like 60fps sports/news-casts.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-18-2009 07:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you see a 120Hz TV on display in a store, it is likely they have the smooth motion or whatever it is called turned on, which interpolates new frames to achieve a fake 60fos or 120fps look and feel. Yes, it looks wrong and quite awful, in my opinion. But with that feature turned off and the Blu-ray player delivering true 24fps material, it should look great.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it looks difference in 50 Hz countries and 60 Hz countries.

--jhawk

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2009 08:45 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, In Australia we have motion flow 100hz, which looks, well showscan like, similar to how Joe discribes. The quote above comes from an American who is positive it is neccesary.

My own Blu ray and projector will both play and reproduce 24fps, My projector does not feature motion flow.

I am still trying to understand what the hell he is talking about ?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-18-2009 08:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
120Hz HDTV sets always work with a 120Hz refresh rate. But the "motion flow" thing is another feature altogether.

I never use the Motion Enhancer feature in my 52" Sony Bravia XBR4 TV set when playing Blu-ray movies. It makes the movies look strange, like they're sped up and shot on videotape. Plus the interpolation blurs off a lot of image detail. With the feature turned off (as well as a number of other noise reduction and sharpening features turned off) you get Blu-ray playback results that look fairly similar to good 24fps film projection. The imagery is not "judder free," but neither is film projection in a movie theater. The upside is the imagery doesn't have the odd ball 3:2 artifacts common to transferring 24fps material to 30p or 60i fps rates. Since each movie frame is flashed 5 times image quality is dramatically improved over LCD-TV sets with slower refresh rates. The slower ones are more prone to lag and smear issues.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 07:47 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my belief, that a lot of the information in the quotes is not correct.

Most modern TV's and projectors, like computer monitors have done for a long time, are able to NATIVELY display content at whatever (within reason) frame rates they are asked to.

Thus, most modern TV's, will smoothly and perfectly display 23.976, 24, 25, 29.970, 50 and 59.94. The TV will NOT try to convert either one of those frame rates into any other for display. They simply adjust the "scan rate" and "display rate" to match the input.

But recently, TV's have been introduced capable of (much) higher refresh rates, indeed reaching the 120hz or 240hz (or even fake 480hz). These TV's, if you so wish, can try to interpolate motion from whatever frame rate is input(ed?) to whatever other it supports for this function.

I totally agree with the opinions here that the motion interpolation can be and often is awful, and should be switched off most of the time.

I never liked that 100hz motion interpolation we had here for ages and a lot of TV's wouldn't allow you to turn the darned thing off.

Of course, a lot of people like the look of interpolated-motion at higher frame rates (all the way to 240hz!), but you know that what looks or sounds good to some, looks or sound like crap to others.

I would buy a TV with the highest "real" frame rate available (why not, they cost about the same and you could use it for frame-sequential 3D) and make sure that motion interpolation can be switched off. That way you'll watch 24fps at 24fps. No more, no less, no pulldown, no convertion.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
process called "pulldown" to evenly divide the film frames across the video frames. Here's what it looks like:
1 1 2 2 2 3 3 4 4 4

Ok, it's been awhile since I've dealt with this and I haven't
had my coffee yet this morning so my brain hasn't fully kicked
in, but I thought at least two of those video frames contained
two film frames to make the math come out even.

(IE: Two of the video frames was composed so that video
field one contained info from film frame 1 and video field
two contained info from film frame two)

The pattern repeated every 4 video frames, and I think
it was referred to as 3:2 pulldown.

Kick me if I'm not awake yet!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-19-2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julio Roberto
Thus, most modern TV's, will smoothly and perfectly display 23.976, 24, 25, 29.970, 50 and 59.94. The TV will NOT try to convert either one of those frame rates into any other for display. They simply adjust the "scan rate" and "display rate" to match the input.
Most television sets have a fixed refresh rate that does not change, even the new 120Hz HDTV sets. In North America the vast majority of TV sets in use operate only at 60Hz. That includes many HDTV monitors, especially LCD-based monitors. Blu-ray players must have their video output settings adjusted for the resolution and refresh rate native to the TV playing the content. A 60Hz HDTV set will not play Blu-ray movies in native 24p mode. The frame rate will be converted via 3:2 pulldown to match the 60Hz refresh rate.

CRT-based computer monitors could adjust refresh rates based on resolution settings that were used. But that's an entirely different application than watching TV.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 11:06 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, the 120Hz sets don't do the 5:5 pulldown as they should, they just do either that stupid interpolation or 3:2 pulldown. So even with a 1080p24 signal going into your set, your set is doing 3:2 for 60Hz, or monkeying with it for 120Hz, and some do 72Hz which is good. If anyone knows of a set that'll do 120Hz with 5:5 I'm listening. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-19-2009 12:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your proof 120Hz HDTV sets don't really do 5:5 pull down of 24p material on Blu-ray?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 01:41 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just to be clear, what I meant, is that most modern LCD TV's refresh at effective rates that are indistinguishable from the native ones.

If they see a 24fps signal and they can refresh as fast as 48fps, they'll display it at 48fps, wich, w/o motion interpolation, would look exactly the same as 24fps, except the frame change will occurr much faster when it goes to the real next frame, like i.e having a 3 blade shutter as oppossed to a 2 blade shutter, except that there is no blank interval whatsoever and no flicker (unless the TV inserts one for added motion rendition on some models for which it looks better that way).

What I try to say is that no modern LCD TV does 3:2 pulldowns or stuff like that. They may try to do reverse 3:2 pulldown from sources for which the pulldown has already been inserted, but that's a whole different issue and the right way to go, anyway.

A TV that tops out the refresh rate at 120 can also refreah at 100 or 72h or 60hz or 50hz or 96hz, if so desired by the manufacturer (and it's often the case with most LCD TV's in the market today).

Plasma and CRT's are another thing, and in those, native refresh rates may not be so flexible, but often are pretty flexible as well.

If you want to call it pulldown (I call it variable refresh rate), they all do 2:2, 3:3: 4:4, 5:5 or whatever you want so it's an even number from the 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 50 or 60 input. Basically, the same image remains on the screen all the time until it's the right time to change. Then it's switched for the next one as quick as the panel allows.

So, again, if you have say a 100hz screen, and you input a 24fps signal, the TV will display it 4:4 at 96hz, not at 100hz. If you shoot it a 30fps signal, it will do either 60hz or 90hz (if the manufacturer decided to support that rate). If you shoot it 50fps, it will do 100hz. If you shoot it 60hz signal, it will do 60hz. It will not try to make it an un-even 90hz or 100hz (tops in this example).

LCD's are NOT fixed to a given screen refresh rate. They are just limited to a MAXIMUM screen refresh rate and to those supported by the firmware and drivers, mostly. And nowadays, that includes support for 23,24,25,30,50 & 60 frame rates w/o uneven pulldowns.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2008/01/lcd_specs_playing_with_your_eyes.php

Of course, some older TV's were limited to say 1080i/60 and had to convert to that.

Those times are all but gone with modern LCD TV's. Refresh rate is more a marketing ploy than a real advantage. Of course, the faster the switching speed, the less you can see the motion smear in-between frame changes, but that's pretty small nowadays and many panels with active LED illumination hide it by dimming the screen during the duration of the change over.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Minichino
As far as I know, the 120Hz sets don't do the 5:5 pulldown as they should
Doing 5:5 pulldown is pretty much the entire point of a 120Hz television there, buddy.

So, again, if you have say a 100hz screen, and you input a 24fps signal, the TV will display it 4:4 at 96hz, not at 100hz.
No, it won't. 100Hz sets are horrible. I am soooo glad I don't live in PAL land. There is absolutely no reason for 100Hz sets to exist any more.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-19-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I am soooo glad I don't live in PAL land.
Ditto! [beer]

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
No, it won't. 100Hz sets are horrible
[Razz]

It was just an example. With HD 100hz displays are a thing of the past. They already had their 20 years of life span gone. All the new HD TV's anywhere in the world now all support 50hz and 60hz (and 24hz) at least and thus 120hz when they double up. Natively, with no (uneven) pulldowns.

But I'll surely take 100hz any time before a 60hz one with it's here-it-comes-o-no-wait-here-comes-again-o-stop-for-a-moment 3:2 pulldown ...

lol

[beer]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-19-2009 09:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LCD's are NOT fixed to a given screen refresh rate. They are just limited to a MAXIMUM screen refresh rate and to those supported by the firmware and drivers, mostly. And nowadays, that includes support for 23,24,25,30,50 & 60 frame rates w/o uneven pulldowns.
That is not true, and the article you linked from HDTV magazine didn't prove your point either. It did more to describe the limitations of older LCD-TV sets and the optional image interpolation features (motion flow, etc.) the 120Hz TV sets offer.

Most TV sets in North America are bound to a 60Hz refresh rate. Some newer, higher end models offer varying refresh rates, like 60Hz and 96Hz (I think the Pioneer Kuro is one such example). But such TV sets are not common since Blu-ray and HD-DVD were the first consumer video playback formats designed to support native 24fps operation. Some upconverting DVD players as well as high definition disc players can do reverse pull down tricks to make DVD look like 24fps, but 24p was not a natively supported frame rate for DVD.

The playback device (DVD player, Blu-ray player, VHS deck, etc.) is the main thing dictating the frame rate, not the TV set. In the case of older video formats the 60i/30p rates don't change. In the case of PAL in Europe everything is 50i/25p.

A lot of HDTV sets are not going to see a 1080p/24 signal at all. They're not compatible with it. The Blu-ray player has to convert the video to a 30p or 60i format for the viewer to see a video image at all.

Most new TV sets sold in the United States are not compatible with European 50i/25p broadcast signals and playback formats. I'm wondering if any new TV sets sold in North America are compatible with PAL at all. I've looked through the specifications on my Sony Bravia XBR4 TV set and it says nothing about PAL support. It only supports NTSC/ATSC signals, PC input and 1080p/24 material via HDMI from sources like Blu-ray and my Dish Network DVR.

My TV set primarily operates at a 120Hz refresh rate. It's running at 120Hz whether I feed it a broadcast HDTV signal or a video stream from Blu-ray. That doesn't mean I have the motion enhancer turned on. Based on the signal (720p/60, 1080i/30, 1080p/24) it's flashing each video frame from 2 to 5 times. The only time the TV changes its refresh rate is when I feed it a computer monitor signal via the old fashioned analog PC monitor input jack.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: