Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Perf vs Non-perf Screens in Small Rooms

Author Topic: Perf vs Non-perf Screens in Small Rooms
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-07-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am upgrading video at home and want to replace an existing 4:3 screen with a larger 16:9. With the old setup the speakers sat on either side of the screen but right up against the side walls. Now with the extra width, I am going to need to use a perf screen and put the speakers behind it.

Is there any rule-of-thumb as to how big a perf screen would need to be and how far from the screen would you have to be sitting in order for the perfs not to be visible? I would hate to have a perf screen cut to size only to find out that I will be treating my family and friends to what will look like a movie covered with pokadots.

I know there are micro perfs, but even with those, there has to be some sort of formula worked out as to how visible those holes would be from any given distance, assuming 20/20 vision, not to mention the damn effect.

Is the moiré thing predictable if one knows the rez of the projector, the chip size, the screen size and the hole size -- seems the math guys should be able to predict what the relationship of those parameters would have to be to avoid moiré patterns.

On the other hand, I was looking for this strange screen material that I came across years ago -- it was a very elastic fabric material, quite thin, which could be stretched in all directions and which you stretched tight over a frame. The surface of the fabric was very reflective. At the time I recall it was claimed that it needed no perfs because sound could penetrate the material without uneven attenuation of the spectrum, or at least nothing that couldn't be voiced out with standard 1/3rd octave eq. At least with this approach you wouldn't need to worry about seeing dots on your screen. But as old memeory would have it, I can't remember who manufactured it or what it was called. This would probably be a better solution rather than messing with a perf screen in a small room where kids tend to sit on the floor and get pretty up an personal with the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally would avoid a perfed screen. You'll lose a lot of light for a home projector. If possible you'd probably enjoy a normal screen with your center channel placed below it (which is how mine I've done mine). if space is an issue you could always consider an in-wall speaker (some very good models from reputable brands do exist). You might also end up spending a lot of money on a fancy screen and still not be happy with it....

Also, I would avoid a high-gain screen, which is a mistake I made. [Frown]

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2009 09:49 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who makes it but there is an "acoustically-clear" screen made of a sort of woven material that would probably serve you better. Might be the stuff you mentioned.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 12:37 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also try to make it non-perf. Test to see if the sound is ok and can be eq'ed or the speakers can be well placed.

Woven fabric screens can indeed color the sound the same or less than micro perfs, so they are also a good option. They would usually provide a decrease brightness and contrast (by about 30%, let's say) compared to your average micro-perf matte screen (usually less than 1.1 gain).

This is a manufacturer (not endorsed by me):

http://www.screenexcellence.com/screen-fabrics

If you must go with a perforated one, and you'll be sitting close to the screen (say less than 2 screen heights), get the smallest perforations from your choice of manufacturers. The micro-perfs usually cover 5%-8% of the surface, thus decrease brightness by about that much (compared to non-perf). You usually can not see most micro-perfs from between 12 to 15 feet (when the screen is lit at 12ft).

Most manufacturers advise placement of speakers a foot or so behind the screen the micro-perfs and never less than 4".

If you are suspecting you might get a moiré pattern (can be calculated but it's actually just better to test for it, it's rare with today's projector's fill factors and high-res), just get your screen slightly larger so you can mount it at a degree offset from vertical (i.e. the holes not running perfectly vertical/horizontal). Start trying placing it 1º and increase 1º at the time until the moiré is gone, usually before you hit 25º. You can also get the screen already cut at an offset from some manufacturers, so ask. Moiré is rare from HD home projectors on screens over 125" wide.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2009 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know...I've done it both ways and I'm 100% in the PERF screen category. Nothing beats having the sound come FROM the image instead of beside, under or over the image.

When I was looking at screens for my home...I got swatches from the potential screens and put them up to see how visible the perfs would be and also to predict the illumination.

With microperfs (and there is no reference as to just how micro they are)...you don't see them from even less than a screen height.

The Morie thing is another story...it is quite visible to me. I'm running a 1366x768 projector on a Dalite microperf with a image area of about 5.5' x 9.75' There is definitely an interraction there. Also, Dalite's swatch had a gain of about .8 My actual screen has a gain of .6! So that part of the plan didn't work...fortunately, I had 2200 lumens to throw at it and the .6 gain tends to have it do very well in ambient lighting.

When we build our new house, I plan to install a Stewart micro...it is a lot more money than a Dalite (Even though the DaLite is a roll down and the Stewart will be a fixed)...but I really like the look off of Stewart screens... a lot. When you order a Stewart for digital projection, you give Stewart the projector make/model so they can do the perfs in a manner that minimizes morie. Sometimes, all it takes is to rotate the perf pattern so the grids are not in the same orientation.

There is another screen manufacturer, whose name escapes me right now, from France that makes a perfless acoustically transmissive screen that is pretty darn impressive.

Steve

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 07:25 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend the Screen Research "ClearPix2" screen fabric, and I think this is the same company that Steve is talking about.

http://www.screenresearch.com/cpfixed.php

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-08-2009 08:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve--tell us about yoru Da-Lite perf screen. Is it a tab-tensioned type? I talked with them at one point about getting a microperf classroom-type screen, but was told that it wasn't really possible because a microperf screen needed to be supported on all four sides (true?). They suggested a fast-fold with a perf surface, which cost more than I wanted to spend at the time.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-08-2009 08:46 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put together a really inexpensive home theatre on a shoe string budget that I'm pretty happy with. The screen I used is just a large piece of white double-knit polyester. It cost about 40 dollars. I built a screen frame out of PVC pipes and stretched the fabric over it. I then bought a second piece of fabric, this time black, for masking. Looks professional, impresses friends, and the speakers are behind it where they belong.

Of course I'm sure there are better ways if money isn't an issue.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 11:13 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A white bed sheet (or similar thin fabric) stretched across a sturdy frame makes a pretty darned good acoustically transparent screen. The chief benefit of the higher quality specialty materials is a higher gain for a given level of sound transmission.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-08-2009 02:54 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Of course it is tab-tensioned. It is a roll down...any other way results in a curling screen.

And yes Screen Research was the company I was thinking of. While I'm not a fan of their mounting methods...their screen surface is top notch and very acoustically transmissive. Very uniform visual too.

In the new house, I'll probably use a "snapper" frame...definitely fixed though. With a curtain, of course.

Steve

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, we are talking in general terms here. Each manufacturer's perf and micro-perf screens are different in hole size and separation. Some manufacturer's regular perf size can be as small as some other's micro-perf.

The size and distance of the perfs is absolute, and thus, the distance at which they become virtually invisible doesn't depend on the screen size etc (except that one usually looks at a larger screen from farther away). One screen height on a 80" screen will reveal perfs on the same material than one screen height at a 180" screen [Wink] But they would both be invisible at about 15' or a bit less.

The distance at which they will become invisible would depend on your eyesight, eyeball size (children's are significantly smaller [Wink] ), contrast ratio (i.e. screen illuminance, ambient light, how dark it is behind the perforations...) etc, etc.

After about 15 feet, I'd say no normal person would see them under most circunstances on any screen I know of. After 12 feet, most micro-perfs are invisible to most under most circunstances. Less than that, and it would depend on your particular screen/set of eyes/lighting conditions. You should start trying to get the perfs as small as possible at shorter distances than this.

Moiré is always possible. Its prediction a mathematical nightmare based on the tiniest tolerances of the involved parameters.

http://www.optics.arizona.edu/jcwyant/optics513/chapternotes/chapter04/moirechaptersecured.pdf

But generally, on today's HD projectors (which have high pixel fill factors and high pixel density) and on large screens (125" wide or more), they would be rare to appear. But they CAN appear at ANY size and ANY projection distance with ANY projector currently manufactured. It's a matter of "luck" to hit a sweet spot frequency combination. The smaller the screen width, the more likely to appear. Under 80" or so and the probability is quite large with the sizes of current (micro) perfs. You'll pbbly get it and will have to deal with it to minimize it.

It's better to just test for it. Some screen manufacturers may have already tested a particular projector and they can cut a screen with an angle offset optimal to reduce the moiré in your particular case/projection distance. Otherwise, it's just sort of trial-and-error, which is the best route anyway, when practical i.e. a screen not-too-large with extra material that can be "hidden" behind the screen frame and thus easily rotated.

Or just go with woven screens and the likeness of moire on any largish screen is low and they can also be adjusted even more easily. With woven screens, it's important to have the back of the "room" as dark as possible, and even the back surface of the fabric should be ideally black. If sound can come forward, that means that tons of light can go behind the screen, reflect, and come back out.

Also, the inter-fabric reflections will lower constrast. How much, will depend on each particular screen. Perhaps as much as 30% in some cases. "Brightness" is also usually low on these screens. While most matted micro-perfs will be less than 1.1 gain and the perfs lose 5-8% of the light, woven can lose as much as 12% and have gains usually lower than 0.9, which can result in screens as "dark" as 0.8. Some are "high gain" (reduced angle of vision to about 120º) to compensate for the loss.

Here are another guys selling woven (once again, not endorsed by me, I don't have enough experience with woven screens):

http://www.smxscreen.com/index.html

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this isn't the case here, but I wanted to mention one thing a co-worker has discovered and actually works really well!

Movie banners with white backs are amazing for cheap screens. They aren't all created equal, but some work very well. I'd imagine they're also more or less free for most film techies on here.

Also, if you want to do a backyard movie night it'd be a fun cheap way to have a decent screen that you don't care if it gets wrecked [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: