Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Laser home projection and 3D TV

Author Topic: Laser home projection and 3D TV
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2009 10:53 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like 2K DCI may soon be a thing of the past [Wink]

Just kidding.

Sanyo unveiled a laser projector that is cool. No price or availability yet.

http://www.vhxn.com/sanyo-releases-supershort-focus-laser-projector/

quote:
If you are worrying about the quality of your projected videos from your projector, you can go with this Sanyo Super-Short Focus Laser Projector because; it gives you a good quality of videos. The brightness level of this projector is 7000 lumens, it has the capability to throw a 100-inch image from just 63cm away from your computer, and it can give you 150-inch image just from 94cm away from your screen in Full HD resolution.
Thanks to the laser light source, color gamut is significant higher than other technologies, including traditional DLP.

No price or availability, though. Such monsters must be expensive. [Eek!]

Laser projection could also be ideal for 3D as the light can be made extremely well polarized w/o a luminance penalty.

Speaking of 3D, another announcement: JVC joins Hyundai with another 46" LCD HD TV with passive (i.e. regular polarized glasses) 3D capabilities.

At around $5000 is more expensive than the Hyundai, but it's also better spec'ed. Comes with two pair of 3D glasses (circular polarized) for free [Wink]

quote:
...Behold the GD-463D1, JVC's latest 46” 3D LCD Full HD with a contrast ratio of 2000:1 with a maximum of 10000:1 in Dynamic Mode...
So far, up for sale in Japan only, I think.

Makes you feel all confident that people will want to continue to get out of their houses to watch not-otherwise-available amazing 3D digital 2K projection in movie theaters for many years to come ... [evil]

[ 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-16-2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter how spectacular home video gets. There is one feature it can never have: "Getting out of the damn house."

Our house is nice and comfortable and I love it there, but it's nice to get out of there sometimes too.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-16-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although they will cost a lot when they are first introduced, 3-D television like almost everything, prices should drop down to affordable level in a short period of time. I recall when professional still digital cameras were first introduced, how terribly expensive they were. I remember being quoted about six thousand dollars for a four megapixel Kodak digital camera with a cheap plastic Nikon body that was used on one of their midium priced SLR film cameras. It is now possible to buy a ten megapixel Nikon digital SLR camera for a little less than a thousand dollars. It was also the same thing with HDTV. At first they cost a lot but in time, I was able to buy one for a little under five hundred dollars. The set I bought was everything I had come to expect from HDTV and I am very happy with it.

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-16-2009 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
prices should drop down to affordable level in a short period of time.
Sure! In your children's children's children's lifetime!

Mark

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2009 02:58 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I know this is a personal question at any age but have you ever been married? do you have any children, do they have any children? are any of them pregnant? [Wink]

[ 04-18-2009, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Cameron Glendinning ]

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2009 07:57 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It doesn't matter how spectacular home video gets. There is one feature it can never have: "Getting out of the damn house."
Yeah, I agree.

I was just making fun of the perspective of claiming that 2K 3D TECHNOLOGY (not cinema experience itself, which is equally well served by 2D or 3D 35mm) will drag audiences to the theaters.

Imax, I agree. 2K DCI, even if 3D, I don't think so.

Let's be "optimistic" and assume that 50% of all theaters in the world will be digital (2K?) 3D five years from now.

5 years from now home-based technology would have progressed to the point where, at the very least and as long as there's demand, there will be a 56" 3D TV with better specs than DCI projection (i.e. increased color gamut, contrast ratio, etc) for less than $3900.

Proof is that, even today, $4300 buys you an 46" 3D TV of quite good performance in spite of there being no market demand for it, due to the lack of 3D content and domestic standards. And for the same price, you can get larger 2D TV's or monitors with even higher resolution than DCI.

The times when you would go the the theater not only as a social experience to get out of the house, but as a technological one that allowed you a better quality picture and sound that you could possibly get at home, will soon be gone, I'm afraid.

3D included.

I really miss (more) 4K offerings with good (bright, full-res) 3D for DCinema. 2K can hardly compete today with home and blu-ray, much less 5 years from now when the NEC or Christie or Barco would only be half paid off and who knows what will be in the homes.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-17-2009 09:35 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Yah, but will they want to get out of the house to go to a movie theatre is the question. When I hear all the vehement complaints about the ills of that "going to the movies" experience (rude patrons, cell phones, sticky floors, offensive concession prices), they may want to get out to go bowling instead.

On the up side, this gives the independents and art houses a higher competitive edge over the assembly-line big multiplexes since they can offer a more tailored experience, customizing and personalizing to their patron's tastes, much like the boutiques do over the big department stores. They are in a better position to minimize and even eliminate the things people most complain about.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: