Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » SOUTH PACIFIC on Blu Ray is like 70mm

Author Topic: SOUTH PACIFIC on Blu Ray is like 70mm
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-02-2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up the 50th Anneversay edition of SOUTH PACIFIC on Blu Ray on Tuesday and I was very impressed with the picture quality of the shortened theatrical version in Blu Ray. Although the longer road show version is also included in the set, it is only in standard definition and suffer very badly in both picture and sound quality. The shorter version in Blu Ray is awesome and the picture quality look like it was mastered from a 70mm print. I was able to watch only selected scenes because I had planned to watch SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE the other night but what I saw was an image that looked like the original 70mm. Although the picture quality was superb, the sound was not. It sounded very weak and not like the way I remember the sound was when I saw this movie and others in 70mm in theatres. Another thing I like about the way the movie was presented in Blu Ray was the use of a blank screen during the overture instead of the stupid titles cards other stuios insert with their road show movies like the recent HOW THE WEST WAS WON on Blu Ray and DVD. I am planning to watch the entire Blu Ray movie tomorrow night in HD and I know I wil enjoy itl enjoy it very much especially with a picture that look like 70mm.

BARAKA was very impressive and that too looked like the original 70mm on Blu Ray. Although GANDHI was photographed in 35mm I saw it in 70mm and the recent Blu Ray image also looked like the large format presentation I saw at the Waikiki #2 during it's original release. SLEEPING BEAUTY, photographed in Technirama and presented in 70mm in theatres also look impressive in Blu Ray. I can hardly wait now for the BD of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, MY FAIR LADY, and VERTIGO, Mr Robert Harris had restored to come out in Bly Ray.

-Claude

[ 04-02-2009, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-02-2009 07:35 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
the longer road show version is also included in the set, it is only in standard definition and suffer very badly in both picture and sound quality.
What the heck is the point of THAT??
It sounded very weak and not like the way I remember the sound was when I saw this movie and others in 70mm in theatres.
:slaps forehead:

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-02-2009 09:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
What the heck is the point of THAT??
They probably didn't have good quality elements of the extra footage in the road show version to use in making a 8K and high quality digital intermediate as was done with the shorter cut.

On a similar subject Robert Harris is raising money to do a digital restoration of The Alamo in its full length cut. Unfortunately, the original 65mm Todd AO elements are faded and pretty much worthless. Other elements will have to be used in putting together the restoration, and those existing elements are rotting fast. Harris says the movie will pretty well be lost if a restoration is not fully underway within 12 months. There is more information available about the subject at The Digital Bits web site.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-02-2009 10:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

I do not know why they did not use seamless branching by inserting the missing footage into the existing theatrical version. The total amount of footage in the road show version that was cut soon after it was premiered was only about fifteen minutes. Warner Brothers did something similar with a limited theatrical showing and DVD of the restored A STAR IS BORN. South Pacific at least had the missing footage but the Judy Garland film did not. All that existed from ASIB was photographs of the missing scenes and audio tracks. When I saw the restored version on DVD, there would be a photograph and audio substituting for the missing footage. I had no problem watching the restored movie in the way it was presented because it gave me an idea what the original movie was like. If Fox did the same with SOUTH PACIFIC by using all of the elements from the theatrical version and the missing footage in a Blu Ray presentation of the road show version, I would have no problem with that too

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-03-2009 08:58 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know why they did not use seamless branching by inserting the missing footage into the existing theatrical version.
One possibility why seamless branching wasn't used: perhaps there were differences with audio/film editorial cuts between road show and shorter versions. This is why seamless branching couldn't be used for the theatrical and director's cuts on Dark City.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-04-2009 05:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the theatrical version of SOUTH PACFIC in it's entirety last night and I was very impressed with it. First of all I was wrong when I said the sound was not very good when I had originated this thread. Actuality, it was was excellent considering the recording was made over fifty years ago. Of course it does not have the full dynamic range modern soundtracks have but what I heard last night was very impressive. The only thing that bothered me about SOUTH PACIFIC when I first saw the film in 70mm at the long defunct and demolished Kuhio theatre was the use of color filters to create certain effects. It was totally unnecessary in my opinion! It's even worse now when the yellow and magenta filtered images look like the many faded film prints of today that are badly in need of restoration. Except for the badly filtered scenes, the rest of the movie was beautiful. Seeing a movie like SOUTH PACIFIC in HD on Blu Ray from a beautifully restored 70mm print was like actually watching the movie at home in that cherished large format film format.

-Claude

Hal Smith
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2009 10:35 PM      Profile for Hal Smith   Email Hal Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got my "American in Paris" Blu-Ray from Amazon yesterday. Absolutely gorgeous, the colors in the Ballet are incredibly rich. Finally we have home video reds that don't bleed all over the place! The sound is a little disappointing like that on "South Pacific" unfortunately I guess no-one thought to save sound elements like picture elements were so there's nothing to go back to for a re-mix.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2009 01:02 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, also, both of these films predate noise reduction and modern recording techniques, analog recording really reached its apex in the 70s.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-05-2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hal,

In between watching movies in it's entirety, I have been looking at some scenes from some of my favorite DVDs just to see how they look on my new HD screen when I play them on my Panasonic BD 35 Blu Ray Disc player. They include THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, MEET ME IN ST LOUIS, BRIGADOON, GONE WITH THE WIND, EASTER PARADE and a few others. Although they looked beautiful on my previous standard television screen, all of the images on the HD screen was gorgeous and the color actually looked like dye transfer Technicolor prints. Even the old Robert Wagner Technicolor and CinemaScope film PRINCE VALIENT I saw last night looked like I was watching an original IB print. I recently purchased AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, GIGI and QUO VADIS on DVD and I know all three of them are now on Blu Ray but I do not know if it is worth double dipping on these movies in Blu Ray.

-Claude

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-06-2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the negative material for "An American in Paris" was destroyed in a vault fire in 1967. Turner Entertainment restored two reels of the original negative.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2009 05:09 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, GIGI and QUO VADIS on DVD and I know all three of them are now on Blu Ray but I do not know if it is worth double dipping on these movies in Blu Ray.
I just received the first two for review, and I haven't had a chance to break the wrapper yet. I'll let you know when I get a chance!

Vern Dias
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Vern Dias   Author's Homepage   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, GIGI and QUO VADIS on DVD and I know all three of them are now on Blu Ray but I do not know if it is worth double dipping on these movies in Blu Ray.
Gigi is certainly worth the double dip, because the increased vertical resolution of BD really makes a difference on 'Scope material. A 1.33:1 DVD, on the other hand will not usually display a significantly improved image as long as the DVD was mastered from the same HD transfer as the BD. The BD will still be better than the DVD, but the difference won't be as apparent on the BD compared to the DVD on a reasonable sized screen.

However, since I don't have a reasonable sized screen (5' x 14') and tend to view from 1.3x screen width, I almost always will upgrade a DVD's when the BD gets released.

Although, not directly part of this discussion, I want to say hello to Claude Ayakawa, who is an old friend and frequently mentions the Waipahu theater which was managed by my dad back when Claude and I were (much) younger. It was one of the few neighborhood theaters on Oahu equipped for 4 track mag and also had a 3 projector projection booth that was easily 40' wide by 20' deep with a good 15' high ceiling.

Vern

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-23-2009 03:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film Tech, Vern

Yes, we go way back. I still consider the good times watching movies at the Waipahu Theatre from the time my parents took me there when I was a child until it closed as one of the most happiest periods of my life. The Waipahu was not just an ordinary neighborhood theatre. It was beautifully constructed and designed by the same architect who did the original Waikiki Theatre later to become the #3. It was at the Waipahu where I developed a life long love for the Cinema. I still remember your dad who was very kind to me when he was managing the Waipahu when I was a child especially when he had offered me a ride back to Waipahu after I saw a movie at either the Princess or the Hawaii in downtown Honolulu.Yes, those were the good old days! [Smile]

-Claude

Vern Dias
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 07:36 PM      Profile for Vern Dias   Author's Homepage   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I always enjoyed spending my weekends at the Waipahu. The projection booth there totally spoiled me. I have never seen a bigger, more spacious booth since. And one of only 3 theaters I have ever worked with a 3 projector booth.

Vern

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: