Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Warner Archives DVD

Author Topic: Warner Archives DVD
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2009 03:36 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears Warner Brothers is starting a new DVD venture intended to get titles out that may not have mass appeal. It appears they make the discs as needed and they are not standard pressed DVDs nor are they common burned DVD-Rs. Some good titles from the start and they claim they will be adding at least 20 per month. Here's the link:

http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive/ARCHIVE,default,sc.html

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-25-2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned about Warner's new DVD program at the Digital Bits site yesterday and it sounds like a fantastic idea! I hope other studios would also offer the service.

-Claude

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-25-2009 04:04 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I just bought Sunrise at Campobello on VHS last September!

Great program. Wish the pricing was a little lower though.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 10:23 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - I think the pricing - and the fact that WB gets to keep the whole $19.95...in effect twice or more than they would get if it was released to stores at that price - is what makes this program viable. I think I am going to order "Crescendo" which is a Hammer Films thriller I have never seen.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 10:45 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
It appears they make the discs as needed and they are not standard pressed DVDs nor are they common burned DVD-Rs.
Hmm? If they aren't pressed or burned how does this work?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-27-2009 12:10 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess they're pressing a very limited run (say...100), then printing packaging and what not on an as ordered basis.

Not much cost there.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-27-2009 12:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the discs are single layered or dual layered.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 12:48 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/warner-offers-film-archive-direct-consumer-15093

quote: Home Media Magazine

Warner Offers Film ‘Archive’ Direct to Consumer

By Erik Gruenwedel | Posted: 23 Mar 2009

Taking a page from direct-response marketing, Warner Home Video March 23 launched an online manufacturing-on-demand (MOD) DVD program that allows consumers to select titles from the studio’s vaunted classic film library and have them shipped directly to their homes or downloaded immediately.

Dubbed the “Warner Archive Collection,” consumers can visit www.warnerarchive.com to browse title selections and place an order, typically $19.95 per DVD and $14.95 for the electronic edition. Movies earmarked for physical delivery are replicated via a third-party service (believed to be Hewlett-Packard's MOD service), packaged in an Amaray case with custom artwork, shrink-wrapped and shipped.

Among the initial 150 movie selections, which also feature MGM and RKO titles, include Oscar nominee Sunrise at Campobello with Ralph Bellamy, The Citadel starring Rex Harrison, Mr. Lucky with Cary Grant and Charles Bickford, Possessed starring Clark Gable and Joan Crawford, Once Upon a Honeymoon with Grant and Ginger Rogers, and All Fall Down starring Warren Beatty and Eva Marie Saint.

All titles have been digital remastered and include the original theatrical trailer. Future content earmarked for MOD includes episodic television and WB’s heralded animation collection.

George Feltenstein, SVP of catalog titles for WHV, said the two-and-a-half-year project represented an expedited means to bring to market Warner’s library of 4,100 films, of which only 1,200 have been released on DVD.

“With shrinking shelf space and a shrinking retail base, we were looking for a way to get the movies to the people who wanted them,” Feltenstein said.

He said the MOD program was not a response to the economy or reported downturn in DVD sales. Instead, he said it would generate incremental revenue paramount toward sustaining the studio’s catalog business.

Feltenstein said heretofore only titles with projected sales from 15,000 and 20,000 units warranted a DVD production run. He said MOD removed those restrictions.

“Many are very specialized and never even got released on VHS,” he said. “Many of these films we have been beleaguered with requests for years. It gives consumers a virtual key to the vault, if you will. It’s a big win for collectors.”

Independent analyst Rob Enderle said Warner’s decision to go MOD on its catalog made sense due to the limited shelf space available for niche titles.

“This is revenue that has been left on the table because buyers and product haven’t been able to come together,” Enderle said. “By doing this, Warner is showcasing creative thinking that contributes strongly to its bottom line. In times like this, decisions like this often stand out as brilliant.”

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2009 12:30 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I received and viewed my first "Warner Archive" title. The movie was "Crescendo" - a Hammer Films thriller from the early 70s. I had always wanted to see it as it had been paired up with "Dracula A.D. 1972" in a double feature and I have the pressbook, posters etc. The movie is typical of the Hammer non-horror thrillers...slow starting and somewhat predictable. Still Stephanie Powers was easy to look at and I never saw her nude before.

As for the disc itself it definitely looks burned and not pressed. It has that dark purple look that a DVD+R gets once I record on it. It is nicely labeled in color seemingly using inkjet printing direct to the disc. The packaging is a standard Amaray-style DVD case but with an interior design I haven't seen before. It holds the disc securely. The insert (outer sleeve - nothing inside) has all the details you would get on a store bought WB disc. The insert print quality is comparable to a laser copy and it's limitations are most obvious in the small print. It is adequate.

The picture and sound quality equal what I would expect from a pressed DVD of the same title. Correct aspect ratio of course and 16x9 enhanced. It is definitely NOT a low-rent transfer job and the print was in fine shape. Definitely a single-layer but that is more than enough to deliver top quality for the running time. Chapter stops were spaced every ten minutes regardless of the action on the screen. There was no menu to select chapters. The sound was Dolby Digital mono (not sure if it was 1.0 or 2.0) and was fine for a title of this vintage. I played it on an LG "Super Blu" player which can handle both HD disc formats. Had no issues.

I will be looking for more titles at the Archive...I have wanted "The Strawberry Blonde" for years on DVD and will order that as soon as it's available.

[ 04-07-2009, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Joe Tommassello ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: