Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD playback on Blu Ray player (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DVD playback on Blu Ray player
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 02:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very concerned about the picture quality of my DVDs played back on a Blu Ray player and a HD television because what I have been seeing in stores were terrible. Imagine my surprise when I had played some of my favorite standard definition discs on my BD player and saw a picture that looked almost as good as HD on my new HD television. One example was THE TEN COMMANDMENTS when the picture quality was exactly as the IB Tech VistaVision images I remember seeing in theatres in the fifties. I do not know if the fantastic DVD images I am now getting has to do with the quality of my BD player and HDTV but I know I am very happy I can now enjoy movies at home with a picture quality that is almost as good as the presentation at a movie theatre on both Bly Ray and DVD's.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is problably the upconversion that is improving the quality. I find my DVD's looking far better on the hd players than on a regular DVD player.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-22-2009 05:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Darryl, I do know that my Blu Ray player is up converting my DVD image to close to 1080p as possible but I was not aware how wonderful the picture can be after the process. A combination of a BD player and a HDTV is a great way to enjoy one's existing DVD collection in addition to new HD discs and now wish I was set up for it much sooner.

-Claude

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2009 06:32 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude:

Now you understand why people are not all-over Blu-ray just yet and were waiting a bit for the prices to go down.

Regular old DVD's always could be made to look really good if they were mastered right and with the right equipment.

In other parts of the world where the PAL television standard is used, the DVD's look even better (due to technical reasons, it has about 20% more pixels per frame and it doesn't need a "pulldown" which screws motion somewhat and shows slightly more real frames per second).

In Europe DVD players have always had RGB outputs through the Euroconector standard (also known as SCART) and thus, even when using an analog DVD player (i.e. not a new HDMI upconverting one), the picture can look really-really good.

Even more so when a digital (HDMI) upconverter DVD player is used (costs as little as $75 nowadays).

So people are happy (enough) with DVD to postpone Blu-ray for a bit.

For people who never upgraded their all-analog, non-component equipment, specially in areas with the NTSC television standard (i.e. USA), then the difference in quality is a bit greater and thus they are more inclined, like you did, to switch all their equipment to all-digital High Definition with blu-ray, which is the right choice anyway, specially since the over-the-air switch to digital with the analog TV being turned-off makes it all a good excuse to buy a new high definition TV. The prices are just about right at this time.

And when done really-really right and with the right equipment, a well mastered blu-ray can, no matter what others may say, look almost as good as a good digital (or projected from 2K pre-digitazed 35mm film) cinema presentation.

No longer there is a big quality difference between average cinema and home watching enviroments at this point in time.

Of course, many studios are not using the quality of blu-ray to its full potential, just like they are often not using the quality of DCI 2K to its fullest either in theaters. And not everybody has a state of the art 65" TV in their homes .... yet [Wink]

I'm so glad you are really enjoying your new A/V setup.

Best regards.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-22-2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact is the general public, particularly here in the United States, is adopting upgrading to the Blu-ray format at a faster pace than they did when moving from VHS to DVD.

Upconverting 480p DVD content to HD works only so well. It's more difficult to see the differences between upconverted DVD and native 1080p content on Blu-ray when viewing the two types of video on a small HDTV screen. On screens 40" or larger the difference is very easy to see.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-22-2009 11:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julio Roberto
In other parts of the world where the PAL television standard is used, the DVD's look even better (due to technical reasons, it has about 20% more pixels per frame and it doesn't need a "pulldown" which screws motion somewhat and shows slightly more real frames per second).
It's also running at the wrong framerate altogether, and it's not the framerate the movie was made at. Booo 50Hz! With HDTV, there is no need for 50Hz other than legacy support. It makes me sad that they still have those lame framerates on HDTVs over there.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2009 08:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but at least they don't have to deal with drop-frame vs. non-drop-frame timecode!

Also, (some?) German (and others?) films are 25fps.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have to deal with drop frame, either. Not with the newest HDTVs.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 11:03 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well ... film is run at "48 hz" (with a twin-blade or equivalent shutter) [Wink]

And, BTW, with standard definition TV your choices are:

Analog or digital NTSC
29.97p or 59.94i

Analog or digital PAL
25p or 50i

Which one do you rather have? They all have the "wrong" frame rates for 24p material. The small speed-up (4%, not noticeable) by the PAL system better rids of temporal artifacts while actually increasing the apparent temporal resolution (only 4%, but better than nothing).

With new HD TV sets and sources there is no PAL or NTSC anymore. All countries can use 23.976p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 50i or 59.94i, whatever the source needs. We never had a drop frame problem in PAL-land, BTW, as the frame rate is "exact" (but sped up from 24p, i.e.)

And as it has been said, plenty of movies, documentaries and TV programming which original frame rate is 25fps and are actually projected at the wrong speed when shown in film (4% decrease, not noticeable).

Actually, I would root (and in Europe the EC is probably going to demand) for DCI to incorporate a 25fps in their standard. Eventually, when film basically dissapears, movies can start originating in a ever so slightly improved frame rate while maintaining good compatibility and look with legacy 24fps equipment.

Producers in Europe (Australia and many other parts of the world) know that 24p is only a necessity for a month or two of theatrical release and that their products are later going to live most of their lives in TV and videos, where the bigger market that doesn't produce too many problems runs at 25fps. So they are originating their movies at 25fps, then slowing down to 24fps if going theatrical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL
[link is to a wikipedia article on PAL TV system. It includes a map of the world showing parts using NTSC, PAL and the frame-rate compatible SECAM]

Thank god all this will soon be part of the past as new HD TV's and standards are universal and support natively all frame rates, old and new, anywhere in the world.

But in the US TV production seems to remain 60i or 30p, with motion picture at 24p. In Europe, they are 50i or 25p for TV, 25p for motion picture as well. Converting between 24p and 25p and viceversa has never been much of a problem [Wink]

I wonder how many non-sync mechanical projectors run at exactly 24fps as oppossed to say 24.3 average (or 23.8) [uhoh]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-23-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julio Roberto
I wonder how many non-sync mechanical projectors run at exactly 24fps as oppossed to say 24.3 average (or 23.8)
I suspect that most are pretty close. I'm (still!) working on a short documentary about a drive-in. At one point, I shot part of the screen with a 16mm camera with a crystal-controlled motor (should be accurate to +/- 1/4 frame over ten minutes or something like that). There was no flicker at all, suggesting that the projector (Century on RCA soundhead) was running at dead-on perfect 24fps.

As for video-originated productions, I suspect that the US has mostly stuck with 59.94i due to the fact that most viewers are still watching on analog SD sets and also because many programs incorporate stock footage that was shot on SD. Apparently, it is much easier to convert progressive material to interlace than to do the reverse, so that might be a factor as well. Also, sports broadcasts are probably responsible for the sale of more HD sets than any other type of programming, and sports tend to look best at 59.94i.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 01:08 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I suspect that most are pretty close.
Yeah, I also think that lot are really accurate. Still, many running synchronous motors for auditorium pairing to make sure there is little/no slack.

But it's really nice to finish a 3 hours Harry Potter movie 7 minutes early in PAL TVs!!! And it's not like you can say we didn't see all the frames that were in the movie!

And in NTSC TV's, the movie would last 18 seconds longer still than in the theater!!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

As you know, stuff (movies) shown in TV all over the world including the USA are digitally sped up or slowed down by stations independently of their origin/standard convertion all the time to fit the schedules ... It's done by a small enough amount that average Joe's can not notice.

Otherwise, HBO would have to have movies scheduled at 23:07:12 or find tons of filling material to cover all the breaks from all the movies and the TV guide would have to get their money's worth [Wink]

Part of an article:
quote:
Next time Sam plays ``As Time Goes By'' during a television rerun of ``Casablanca,'' check his tempo. Thanks to the pervasive use of time-compression machines by broadcasters and programmers, Humphrey Bogart's time usually goes by in a New York minute rather than at the languid pace of a Moroccan night.

Since their introduction in the early 1980s as television editing tools, time-compression machines have come to be used frequently by broadcasters to make room for more commercials by accelerating the speed of movies and old television programs. The additional minutes of advertising time come without increased costs for additional programming.

The machines are also used to create an artificial level of enthusiasm among game show contestants and actors in commercials by speeding up the motion while keeping voices at a normal pitch, editors and producers say. ``If you can cut 8 percent of a two-hour movie by speeding it up, you gain almost 10 minutes without cutting any scenes,'' said Tom Roche, videotape editor at Crawford Post-Production in Atlanta, a studio that provides editing services to advertising agencies, television syndicators and other clients.

The devices enable editors to shrink a 31-second soundtrack to fit a 30-second commercial or to create enough room at the end of a commercial to add a new tagline without remaking the entire spot.

In my experience, up to 5% doesn't even start to be noticeable to most people. In 25p-land, which includes a couple of earth's top 3 film producers, India and China [Wink] , there has always been for the past 60 years an increase of 4% in 24p originated film. Nobody that is not into A/V even knows about it, much less is bothered by it. Our programs and some films are seen in the USA 4% slower, and nobody complains either.

Even more convoluted, next time you watch Mr Bean, Monthy Phyton or some BBC documentary, think it was probably slowed down from 50i to 47.952i and then pulled-down to 59.94i so you can watch it in the USA/Canada/Japan [beer]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is regarding Bobby's comment when he said that most people will not have the ability to see the difference between 480p DVd and 1080p Blu Ray discs on a small screen like the one I have. I am sure it is true and because of that I am so happy I had decided to buy a HDTV with a smaller screen instead of the larger one I had originally planned on purchasing. As far as seeing the difference between DVD & BD on my small screen, I definitely can! I have been enjoying my HDTV for almost three days now and most of the sufff I am watching is on Blu Ray but I have watched a few DVDs such as my Blockbuster rentals. I am sitting just about eight feet away from the TV and my twenty six inch screen is just fine from that distance. I have a very huge DVD collection and the ability to continue to enjoy them on my new 1080p HDTV with a better picture quality on my small screen was one of the best decision I had made.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-23-2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking closely for the differences between native 1080p and upscaled DVD and know the differences to study you'll see them. Once you know the factors (like superior color range, deeper contrast, greater "pop" to the imagery) you'll be able to spot the differences even on a small TV. Most casual viewers don't know all of that just like many don't understand they're watching only half the movie when choosing a "full screen" version of an anamorphic 35mm filmed movie.

When you get accustomed to watching HD-based content regularly you get spoiled to it fast. It's hard not to have that "ugh" feeling when watching something like a local news broadcast in SD.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 04:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

As a life long professional image maker and a PPA Master Photographer and a photographic lecturer for over 24 years, I am very aware of what makes a good image as far as density, contrast, color harmony among other things including the 'popping' of the imagery. Just to give you an idea what I mean, I can already see the difference in the picture quality between 1080i broadcast HDTV images and 1080p Blu Ray images on my 26 inch Samsung HDTV. When I marveled at the fantastic DVD picture quality of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS the other night on my HDTV, it had beautiful color and picture contrast but compared to what Blu Ray can offer, it was not as sharp as it should be. It will be only a matter of time before this movie is released on Blu Ray and when it does, it will be superb.

-Claude

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-23-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Off Topic
quote: Bobby Henderson
a local news broadcast in SD
My new favorite thing to hate, even more than letterboxed 4:3 commercials on an HD signal, is when the local news here zooms into an SD camera remote in order to fill the 16:9 screen. Unwatchably pixellated video with sweet graphics overlaid!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: