Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » My brother's firmware problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My brother's firmware problem
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2009 06:17 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my brother and his wife and I tried to watch the BD of BATMAN RETURNS, at his house on his beautiful HD set, only the Warner Brothers introduction would play but not the movie on his Sony Blu Ray player which he had for only five months. Realizing he had a firmware problem, he took the machine to Sony and they updated it without charge. We thought the problem was solved but only a few months after the update, his machine now will not play BDs from Fox. Like the Batman, BD, only the introduction and the trailers would play but not the movie when he selected 'Play" on the menu with his remote. He seem to have no problem with the other labels except Fox. Thankfully, My Panasonic BD35 is now four months old after purchase but so far, I seem to be having no problem with all the BDs I had played on it. Does anyone know why my brother is having firmware problem with his Sony?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-13-2009 10:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Specifically which model of BD player does your brother have? How old is the player? I assume it isn't a BD Live capable player since he literally had to take it to Sony for a firmware update.

This is one of the primary reasons why I bought a Playstation 3 instead of a standalone BD player. The PS3 has been far more capable right out of the box than any standalone BD players on the market, despite it often being dismissed as a "toy." Over the past year I've had the machine I've applied more than half a dozen system software updates which have dramatically improved the capability of the system.

While I'm writing this, I have my music CD collection playing in the PS3 via an external attached 1 terabyte external hard disc. It works pretty well. The only minor flaw I've encountered is the album cover thumbnails that appear on the computer when ripping the tracks don't seem to come up in the PS3.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-15-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If possible, connect the player's ethernet port on the back. Most players auto-detect and download firmware updates automatically from the internet. I LOVE my Sony BDP-S550.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-16-2009 02:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother called Sony and they sent him a disc with the latest firmware update for his player and everything is ok-for now. I think I read somewhere that said Panasonic will send me an email informing me to go online for the latest firmware update for my BD35 player. So far, I had not heard from them. My player was purchased on the 2nd week this past January. Has there been a firmware update since that time?

-Claude

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-16-2009 06:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had 3 firmware updates since last year with my LG HDDVD/BluRay combo-deck, and already 1 update for my Sony since I got it in January. Firmware updates are going to be a big part of BluRay - every time a hacker figures out how to bypass the copy protection, the studios will change the encryption on all their discs going forward. Players will need to be updated every time the encryption changes.

This is one reason why BRD may take a lot of time to gain widespread success. I can't easily explain to my Grandfather how to install a network router and wire up his player to the internet for updates, and waiting for the manufacture to send him a copy on a CD will get old after a few times.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-17-2009 01:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...wow. So the ability to play new disks will always depend upon having upgraded firmware? That will just kill the chances for mainstream adoption of the format, since normal people don't want to call customer service and wait for a firmware update disk to arrive before they can play rental disks.

People think of these things as appliances, like stereos or toasters, and expect them to work and continue working for many years without maintenance. To tell a typical Blu-Ray customer that he just bought a computer and not an appliance will just make him angry.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-17-2009 01:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

What has happened to my brother has not yet happened to me with my Panasonic BD player but I will be very upset if I cannot suddenly play any discs until I downloaded the latest firmware from Panasonic. I went to the Panasonic Firmware site and after reading the instructions how to do the downloads, I WAS CONFUSED! I am not good when it comes to reading manuals when it does not explain in simple terms how to get things done. Yes, I have to agree, this will be a turn off to many when they realize most Blue Ray players must be updated from time to time in order to play new releases.

-Claude

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 03:29 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, normal people will just plug their BD player into the Internet and be done with it, right?

Cue Avenue Q: "Ready normal people?" "Ready!"

--jhawk

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-24-2009 10:39 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think issues with firmware on BD players has been exaggerated. The vast majority of Blu-ray releases play just fine even on older Profile 1.0 machines (those players just don't get access to Bonus View or BD Live based content).

The areas where problems do occur more often has to do with errors in how the movie discs were authored, such as certain New Line discs not having their DTS-HD 7.1 tracks encoded correctly or certain James Bond movie BDs not loading on certain player models. Firmware updates can correct those issues, but so can a disc trade in program (which was usually what had to happen with DVD).

Customers also must realize they will give up a certain amount of convenience and ease of product use by going with the lowest priced BD players available. If someone wants a player they know can be firmware updated and have it done fairly easily they just need to be a BD Live profile 2.0 capable unit. Or better yet, just get a Playstation 3. If there is an important firmware update available the PS3 will automatically notify you about it and walk you through a pretty easy process of updating the system.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-24-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think that the idea of needing a firmware update in order to play a disk is silly, and won't be accepted by Aunt Millie and friends (who may not have Internet access and almost certainly don't have a home network with wiring to each TV set).

VCRs, DVD players, radios, TV sets, turntables, cassette players, and CD players do not require firmware updates in order to provide basic functionality. Why should Blu-Ray? Firmware updates may have the unfortunate consequence of changing or removing features or other attributes of product functionality. Most people probably want a product that works out of the box and keeps working, rather than one that randomly self-mutates.

Are there any other (non-personal-computer) consumer products that are this flaky?

(Yes, I know that the situation is more complicated than this, but I'm trying to look at it from Aunt Millie's point of view.)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-24-2009 04:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
VCRs, DVD players, radios, TV sets, turntables, cassette players, and CD players do not require firmware updates in order to provide basic functionality. Why should Blu-Ray?
You're assuming those other devices were glitch-free and didn't require firmware updates to fix problems. That certainly wasn't the case the case for DVD. Some DVD players could be updated via firmware burned to a CD. Others had problems that required the customer to buy an entirely new player. I went through that with the first DVD player I bought (in 1999 for $450).

By the time Aunt Millie got around to relinquishing her beloved VHS tape player (likely circa 2002-2004 at the behest of her kids or grand kids) the various bugs in the DVD format had since been solved. Players were cheap and plenty of "full screen" DVDs were available.

The same thing will hold true for Blu-ray. Aunt Millie won't specifically go out looking to buy a new Blu-ray player. In a couple of years when her $69 DVD player breaks she'll end up having to buy another DVD player that also happens to play Blu-ray discs.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going into an electronics store a couple of years ago and seeing signs on TVs that said something like: "Warning, this TV will not receive over-the-air broadcasts after February 2009." The stores were forced to warn customers about this before some unsuspecting shopper foolishly expected their TV to just WORK, like so many TVs always did for so many years.

If the stores had to do that, then I think they should post something that says: "Warning! This Blu-ray player might randomly decide not to play certain discs until YOU perform an update to the player. Good luck!" How many salesman even know that this might be a problem? And, of those who do, how many actually tell their customers?

It's always embarrassing when I help friends troubleshoot computer problems and I just brush things off like, "Yeah, go ahead and reboot. It's actually normal for your computer to lock up like that and make you panic." I'm tired of being treated like the company's Beta tester.

[ 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Greg Anderson ]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 05:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I am concerned, I think the Blu Ray system is perfect as it is. I can see why Bobby is not bothered by the necessity of tweaking the system from time with firmware updates because he is a very intelligent person regarding the complexity of the new HD disc format and many other things. Unfortunately, many of us do not posses the kind of knowledge he has whenever we have firmware problems and I appreciate the fact that he is available for me to pick his brain if I should have any problem with a BD player and discs in addition to other matters. Regarding the way Blu Ray discs are manufactured, why not make all new discs bacward compatable and playable on every BD player with or without firmware updates? Firmware updates to a player that will make it current should still be available to those who have the mental capabilities to able to do it without any problem.

-Claude

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-24-2009 07:10 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I propose that for the 3.0 BR spec, they include a way to push updates through the actual discs. For instance, the copy of Bolt I just got might include the latest firmware on the disc which the player could find and automatically update with.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 10:11 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, the fundamental problem with that is that the firmware updates are used to invalidate compromised encryption keys. They in fact serve to make some discs unplayable on some machines.

Also, at least in a professional context, it's unacceptable for me to put in a BD disc that updates the firmware of my player. Imagine I'm running a film festival and Program Item 10 includes a firmware update that breaks Program Item 11. Unacceptable. (also, they would need to include firmware for all manufacturers, which is probably a non-starter).

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: