Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Disney To Add 'Decorative Framing" To Blu Ray Disks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Disney To Add 'Decorative Framing" To Blu Ray Disks
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney home video is planning on adding 'decorative frames" to blu-ray versions of its' classic films, begining with "Pinocchio" later this week. The process results in what they are calling "The Disney View"
(Oh, boy. . . I hope they didn't stay up all night thinking of that name. )

-

I basically support the idea of them trying to maintain the original aspect ratio, but personally, I think I'd find the "16 sets" of side bars changing throughout the movie somewhat distracting.

Original Story Link

Disney Spruces Up Pinocchio Blu-ray
Studio adds decorative framing, dubbed 'Disney View'
By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 3/6/2009

Disney is adding decorative bars to frame its classic movies, starting with Pinocchio.

MARCH 6 | How do you improve on a classic?

For Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, the answer is to color every inch of it. Starting with Pinocchio, the studio is sprucing up the black bars that normally frame its classic animation when rendered for the small screen.

Animator Toby Bluth has been charged with creating ‘decorative’ bars that will exclusively frame the Blu-ray Disc version of Pinocchio, due March 10. The standard DVD edition will continue to feature the plain black bars.

This decorative framing, dubbed ‘Disney View,’ is expected to also roll out with the studio’s next classic animated Blu-ray release, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in October.

So as not to distort the original theatrical image, Disney’s classic animation has historically come tagged with black bars on the sides when played on widescreen TV sets. But some fans have complained that the bars take away from their viewing experience.

For Pinocchio, Bluth created 16 sets of Disney View bars, which run at various times during the film.

“It supports the film and is at most an accompaniment,” said Bluth. “There aren’t any panels that distract from the film. They are like theatrical set pieces framing the action.”

Bluth is already at work on bars for Snow White

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-08-2009 07:07 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This especially ticks off those of us with lensing and masking systems in our home theatres. Now I'll have to set up the scaler to "mask off" the decorative frames. Shame too. I was looking forward to this disc.

I hope it can be turned off within the menu.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-08-2009 07:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely it's an option on the disc to have this switched off.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
I hope it can be turned off within the menu.

I'm sorta hoping the same thing too, but neither of the two
press releases I've seen about this new "feature" gives any
indication that it's optional. But I hope you're right.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the review over at AVSForum , it's an option.

quote:
The 1.33:1 AR didn't take anything away from the experience in my opinion. The Disney View enhanced mode didn't really change the presentation in terms of making it feel "wider". This is how the film was shot so it didn't feel as though it should have appeared any other way. You may find that you prefer the enhanced mode but personally I left it off.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-09-2009 06:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh! Who comes up with this stuff?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-09-2009 09:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might deter a few jokers from distorting the picture in the name of filling every available square inch with Walt's wonderful color.

A better solution would be to encode the disk some way to disable the TV's aspect-ratio controls. That'd piss a lot of idiots off though, and there's nothing more difficult to deal with than pissed-off idiots.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2009 05:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless there are black bars to choose from I definately won't be purchasing Pinnochio!! I also refuse to take the time to read about such nonsense!

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-10-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite part of the article:
quote:
So as not to distort the original theatrical image, Disney’s classic animation has historically come tagged with black bars on the sides when played on widescreen TV sets. But some fans have complained that the (black) bars take away from their viewing experience.
That just proves that "some fans" are total idiots. "Aspect ratio? Who cares? I paid for a 42" wide screen, and I WANT IT FILLED, DAMN IT!"

Unfortunately, I think the idiots are in the majority, judging by all the distorted-picture TVs I see in bars, airports, and people's houses.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2009 02:10 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Unfortunately, I think the idiots are in the majority
What Mike, you're just now figuring that out? [Smile]

quote: Mike Blakesley
...all the distorted-picture TVs I see in bars, airports, and people's houses.
Which is exactly why I don't think BluRay will ever take over. Most people (most FT readers excluded) don't know how to set up their systems, don't notice that it looks "wrong" and cannot see any improvement offered by BluRay.

quote:
Aspect ratio? Who cares? I paid for a 42" wide screen, and I WANT IT FILLED, DAMN IT!
The funny thing is even the folks with 2.35:1 home projection set-ups feel that way. They were all up in arms about the The Dark Knight BluRay disc because it opened up to 16:9 for the Imax scenes. They wanted to fill their screens at all times.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-10-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
The funny thing is even the folks with 2.35:1 home projection set-ups feel that way.
No, I want the option to turn it off there as well. I am pleased that the extra footage is preserved, but when I'm presenting it in my home theatre, I must either crop the top and bottom of the IMAX portion off, or lose screen width and present it in 16x9. Both ways are wrong.

I want a BluRay that preserves the 2.39 frame as seen on 35mm prints.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-10-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd ever want to project something that has less resolution on a bigger physical space. That is why I'll never install a 2.39 side-masking system in my home.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys know that the stuff on the sides is optional, right?

There's a option in the menu to turn them off.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-11-2009 04:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will now be only a matter of a week or two before I pick up a Toshiba 405300 HD set with a 1080p display from Costco but for now, I am watching BDs on my excellent standard Sony television. I picked up PINOCCHIO in Blu Ray yesterday and watched the first fifteen minutes of the BD version and discovered the picture was 'Windowboxed" (Black borders all around the picture) on my TV. Like all of you, I agree the decorative bars on both side of the picture to fill a wide screen is STUPID! The people who are now complaining about black borders on both sides of their new wide screen television are probably the same idiots who complained about black borders on the top and bottom of their old standard television screen when they watched wide screen movies on DVDs [Frown]

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-11-2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind the decorative pillar box fluff since it is an optional feature. I'll probably still watch the movie with the usual black pillar box bars instead.

But I'm not going to be bothering with any of that until I can buy a copy of the BD for under $20. It won't be too awful long before sites like Amazon offer the movie for that at least during a serious sale.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: