Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » LG brand & Plasma or LC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: LG brand & Plasma or LC
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-26-2009 07:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who works for the store where I had purchased my Denon receiver that deals with quality audio products and television. I told Steve I will be buying my HD set from him very soon and told him what what kind of TV I want that has a Liquid Chystal display, 1080p, two or more HDMI inputs and a screen at least 42 inches in size. Instead of L.C. , Steve highly recommended Plasma and told me that he has a set I will be very happy with. It is the LG42PG20 and it is 720p and not 1080p and the screen size is 42 inches and has three HDMI inputs. He told me unless, I was getting a very large HD screen, I will not see any difference between 1080p and 720p and his reasoning makes sense. If not the LG brand, Steve also recommended the Pioneer 42PX80. Both of this sets sells for under $800.00 which is a price I am comfortable paying. What are your thoughts?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-26-2009 08:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plasma has many advantages over LCD (I own LCD), including better blacks, better viewing angles, less (no?) motion blur.

But plasma has one HUGE drawback: BURN.

If you watch a lot of letterboxed or windowboxed content (vertical or horizontal black bars); or if you have FOX news or CNN on all day with their logos and text crawls, you will very likely end up with visible burned areas.

Do NOT believe anyone who tells you plasma burn is no longer a problem.

Yes, I know LCD is susceptible to image retention, but it's much less likely or severe than plasma burn, and it's potentially reversible. Plasma burn is NOT reversible. All you can do with plasma burn is equalize the burn across the entire screen.

If plasma didn't have the burn issue, I would buy a Pioneer Kuro plasma without hesitation, while they're still real Pioneer and not made by someone else who's going to slap the Kuro name on an inferior display (my expectation now that Pioneer is getting out of the TV business).

With regard to 720 vs. 1080, you can get 40"-42" 1080p LCDs with 120Hz processing for around or even less than $1000. The LG 42LG70 is an example. I gave one as an Xmas gift, paid $930 for it. Very very nice TV. If you don't care about 120Hz processing, you can pay less than that. So why even consider 720p at almost the same price.

The Samsung LN40A550 1080p LCD sold for as low as $850 here right after Xmas. Another great TV and very close to your $800 price point. (Edited to correct that Samsung model number)

[ 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-26-2009 10:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plasma does have the advantage of true black and he may like that because of his photographic background. I doubt that he's going to use it to play video games on and almost all DVD players in existance have a screen saver. Now I do have an LCD set myself (Samsung) but you do have to get into the higher end LCD sets (1500.00 and up) to get even near the good black range that Plasma can give you... and it's still not going to be absolute black. Now don't forget that at least NTSC is not capable of absolute black anyway. Its black level begins at 7.5 IRE or 7.5% above 0 where 0 would be absolute black! There exist today broadcast monitors that are LCD based that can produce true black as well as afford a 15,000 to 1 contrast ratio. This E-Cinema monitor only costs 37K! Today E-Cinema LCD's are the top of the line in Broadcast monitors. Sony has been displaced to second... they used to be the refrence for many many years back in the CRT days with the BVM series one of which I am lucky enough to own (BVM-1310).
Some of you may find this site interesting... there is some easy to understand technical jargon there as well.
Broadcast Monitor Buying Guide
Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-26-2009 10:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Higher priced LCD-based televisions, such as the Series 7 and Series 8 TVs from Samsung or the XBR-series of Bravia TVs from Sony produce very good black levels -deeper than a lot of low priced plasmas.

To get very rich black levels out of a plasma TV you have to dig in your pocket pretty deep. I have not been impressed with many of the entry level plasmas. Low priced LCD TV sets have their shortcomings too.

If I was going to buy a plasma-based TV I would only consider the native 1080p Pioneer Kuro models or a certain model from Panasonic (which is also pretty expensive).

Some of the newest and most expensive LCD televisions are moving to RGB LED back lighting. The black levels are even deeper and color range is improved to cover nearly all the Adobe RGB model. The next notebook PC I buy absolutely will have a RGB LED-based display rather than the usual cold cathode fluorescent lamps. That's based on a recent experience with a dead notebook display (which was able to be repaired thanks to the generosity of a fellow F-T member who shipped me a replacement part from a decommissioned notebook).

LED technology isn't perfect. But nothing in TV technology is. The nice thing about LED back lighting, aside from the improved color and contrast handling is the longer lamp life as compared to fluorescent lamps.

We're probably at least a couple years or so from seeing OLED-based HDTV sets scale to sizes of 50" or larger and do so at price points that won't break the bank account.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2009 06:19 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree 100% with Bobby.

I, personally, would only consider 1080p displays for sizes 42" and above. Actually, I even have a 1920x1200 display as my 24" computer monitor.

If I had to go plasma, indeed I'm VERY dissapointed (including black levels) with most offers when seen side-by-side on stores (except some which I guess could be considered "top of the line").

Still, I have seen better pictures from some LED backlit LCD's (i.e. some Samsungs) than from ANY plasma, including Pioneer Kuros, seen side-by-side.

I think LCD's have reached a point where they can be considered, GENERALLY and across the border, as "better" than plasma. A lot of people will disagree. Fine with me, but I don't concurr.

That, of course, doesn't mean that SOME plasmas are better than SOME LCD's.

So I would buy:
-1080p
-LED backlit 120hz LCD

If it doesn't fit my budget, then:
-Conventional lit 120hz LCD TV.

If it doesn't fit my budget, then:
-Traditionally lit LCD.

And only would consider plasma if it was a heck of a deal on a 1080p top-of-the-line display.

Also, generally, while being actively used, plasmas usually consume more power than most LCD's. This is no longer such a big issue, though, as plasmas today switch to low power modes when needed, so the difference is not too large (say 10/20%). Some plasmas may even use on average a bit less than some LCD's, but the opposite is usually the case.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/12/power-guzzling-plasmas-could-be-barred-by-eu/
[link is to an article dated Jan 2009 on how certain plasma displays could get into trouble for not meeting European Union energy conservation regulations on appliances]

Plasmas, though, are generally cheaper to manufacture in large sizes, so they still hold some advantage for sizes 50" and above. A lot of manufacturer's have stopped producing 42" plasmas and outsource them to one of the few that still produce the size.

Bottom line is that there is no longer EXTREME differences in the technologies:

-"Burn" on plasmas has reached much better levels.
-"Motion blur" on LCD's is but gone on fast-switch panels (for up to 60hz sources, like movies and TV). Except on some cheap chinese panels around, of course.
-Power consumption on plasmas has been reduced on the average to reasonable levels.
-Contrast ratio on both technologies have improved to levels that FAR surpass even cinema presentations.
-Color uniformity on LCD's is no longer a (significant) issue on all but the cheap manufacturers low-end models.
-Viewing angles on LCD's are no longer an issue for most models and most viewing conditions.
-Black levels on (dynamic lit) LCD's have reached comparable (or even generally better) levels than Plasma. I.e:

Plasma:
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080 Plasma - 0.008fL
Panasonic TH-42PZ700U Plasma - 0.015 ftL
Samsung PN50A550 Plasma - 0.026fL
Samsung FP-T5884 Plasma - 0.029fL

LCD:
Samsung LN52A750 - 0.009fL
Mitsubishi LT-46144 LCD - 0.019fL
Samsung LN-T4671F - 0.019fL
NuVision NVU52DCM LCD - 0.024fL
Sony KDL-52XBR4 LCD - 0.032fL

In short: buy whatever you want. It's all "good enough" for the mere mortal. Audiophiles and Videophiles will never be happy with the level of perfection reached, as otherwise, there won't be anything left to talk about or new models out in the market next year [Wink]

Other technologies such as OLED or FED won't happen at large sizes for quite some time, so no point in worrying about them for another 2 years. And even then, only if your pockets are deep enough.

LG/Philips (now LG displays) is one of largest manufactures of LCD panels in the world, with some years being number 1, some years number 2, behind another korean manufacturer, Samsung. Between them, they make 50% of all LCD's panels in the world (aprox. 25% each).

And as you may already know, a lot of manufacturers buy the main component (i.e. panel, backlight, driver) of a lot of their models from other manufacturers.

Thus, i.e, you see Sony TV's with Sharp's panels or Pioneer sourcing some of their plasmas from Panasonic (Pioneer announced recently a TOTAL withdraw from the TV market, though). It's all a lottery and no longer a brand name guarantees good or bad. See it for yourself, compare side-by-side, and make the decission.

I also don't trust a lot of media reviews. Based on those, my parents bought a very (very) expensive Sony 46" LCD summer before last and I can assure you I couldn't believe (I still can not believe) how crappy it is with such incredible good reviews on "the press". The video processor produces so many artifacts with all sources that it is almost unbearable to me (no, it can't be completely turned off). Illumination uniformity is a joke. Switching speed is awful. Convinience like auto-size adjustment are non-existant. Granted it's almost 2 years old and since then things' gotten much better, but for that price, it was downright robbery based on brand-name and (dubious) reviews. My daughter's 42" philips is much better. Even my bedroom's 39" $750 Philips is better.

So be careful. Expensive and/or good reviews doesn't always mean good or, at least, not worth the price.

[ 02-27-2009, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
aside from the improved color and contrast handling is the longer lamp life as compared to fluorescent lamps.

That remains to be seen! Just ask any technician that has worked with high power leds! Althogh LEDs have gotten better they still suffer from a given characteristic fade rate... no way around it for now. Discharge type back lights are in most cases replacable and quite inexpensive. The real reason for going to LED is to dynamically control the contrast ratio, eliminate the mercury aspect that discharge lamps have in them, attempting to reduce power consumption. Flat panel TV's are actually fairly power hungry, almost as bad as many old tube type TVs are.

quote: Julio Roberto
And only would consider plasma if it was a heck of a deal on a 1080p top-of-the-line display.

Thats exactly whats happenning right now since plasma is on it's way out. Costco has great deals on 1080p Panasonic plasmas in several sizes. Personally, I never read media reviews myself... they are almost always ony subjective anyway. While reviews of broadcast equipment are often backed up with hard data...

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-27-2009 09:15 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That remains to be seen! Just ask any technician that has worked with high power leds!
I work them all the time in my job. Electronic variable message centers and electronic billboards rely on LEDs exclusively now. The LEDs themselves are, by far, the most reliable components on those systems.

When a driver board (one of the LED tiles in the sign) goes bad it's almost always something else that has failed in that component. If the fade issue was as bad as you're suggesting, every LED billboard and message center in existence would never be able to maintain any consistent level of contrast and color across those tiles.

LEDs may indeed fade, but the rate of fade over a period of several years is only going to be noticeable or bad if the cheapest, no name types of LEDs are used. Nevertheless, TV manufacturers going the route of LED back-lighting need to design their monitors so those LED components can be replaced if something fails.

Fluorescent lamps also fade over time and can even change color characteristics. Look closely at the quality of interior lighting of some outdoor pylon signs. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a business who has only been replacing one bad lamp at a time versus a business who paid a bit extra to get his sign completely re-lamped.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2009 11:16 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I helped my brother-in-law install a Samsung LN40A650 40" LCD back in November, and I was quite impressed with the picture quality and range of features. We compared it against Sony's V and Z series and went with the Samsung because of the price and aesthetics.

Once I took a few minutes to calibrate the settings, OTA HD and Blu-ray content looked great! I would hesitate to purchase one for myself if I didn't already have an HD set in my living room.

If money were not as big a deal as it always seems to be for me, I would buy a Kuro plasma or like unit. Low-end plasmas tend to suck pretty badly, so for an equivalent price, I've usually seen LCD's that look better, esp. in the $1000 - $1500 range.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception of David who had alerted me to the 'Burn In" problem attributed to Plasma panels, no one so far has answered the question I had asked regarding the Plasma LG and Panasonic models that was recommended to me by my friend. I am very grateful to all of you and your responses but I am now more confused then ever with many of your comments . As a professional image maker for almost forty five years, I have been very impressed with the various HD sets I have seen at Best Buy, Costco and the soon to be defunct Circuit City at various price levels. Because of the excellent picture quality I have seen on displays costing as little as $600.00, I can see no reason to spend thousands of dollars on HD now when I have other financial priorities. I have decided that a forty two inch screen will be just right for the room I watch my movies on BD, DVD and regular television. Beside the screen size, amount of HDMI inputs, name brand /warranty service and price are the main considering factor. So far, I have seen sets that cost between $700.00 and $900.00 that interest me by LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba and Sony and with the exception of the LG, all have 1080p with a Liquid Crystal display. I was also impressed with some Vizeo sets but my friend told me to not even consider that brand because of the lack of service support in the United States. Is that true?

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2009 02:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again Claude, I would never buy a set that is not 1080P... ever! If I had a choice of the two I'd go for the Panasonic... They have one of the best plasma sets on the market but the Pioneer would be better but far more expensive. I also recocmend spending the extra 79 bucks or what ever for the extended warranty. I;m sorry I didn't back when I bought my Olevia... I did when I bought my Samsung. They are also much easier when it comes to warranty repair, service, and parts. I worked for them as a bench tech for over 5 years and they are a really good company.

Bobby, You'd have to work with LEDs as a technician not as a sign designer! LEDs all have a built in fade rate... it's different for different LEDs but none the less it's there. Just ask any LED manfacturer... The curve of the fade rates are also different for different devices but high power devices always fade faster then low powered devices.

Mark

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2009 03:52 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Based on all of the excellent sets I have seen at the stores I had mentioned in my previous post that are 1080p/Liquid Crystal sets that are in the price range I am willing to spend I can see no advantage in getting anything less. My friend did make a convincing argument why I should consider the 720p Plasma but I now agree with your feeling about not getting anything less then a 1080p display.

-Claude

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2009 03:53 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

I have no personal experience with Vizio, but here is an article about them:

http://news.cnet.com/The-secret-of-Vizios-success/2100-1041_3-6203488.html

quote:
Additionally, Vizio tries to project itself as the company that can provide better and more personal service. TVs are packaged with poster-size service guides. It also offers free in-home support during the warranty period and a "no bright pixel" guarantee for the life of the product for many TVs. Bright pixels are faulty pixels that become a pinpoint of light on a TV's display.
To summarize my position: buy whatever TV you like, but do make it 1080p. Just about any 42" today is a good buy, but you are more likely to find a cheap-ish one that is good on LCD than plasma.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2009 05:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Steve highly recommended Plasma and told me that he has a set I will be very happy with.
Well Claude I can't answer your question but I can translate that from Retailer to English for you.

What he means is, he has a back room full of Plasmas he can't sell and/or he gets a higher commission on the brand he's recommended. It's one or the other. Nobody in a large retail establishment will ever recommend "what you want" when they have a stack of items they "need to move."

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Steve Soon and I go way back and he is a true friend who has done a lot for me in the past. Our relationship is much more than a commercial one and I trust him with his recommendation but my final decision when I buy a HD set will be based on evaluating all of the information you have all been providing here at FT and my personal observation of the high definition television set that interests me at the stores. I know for sure, it has to be 1080p.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-27-2009 10:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bobby, You'd have to work with LEDs as a technician not as a sign designer!
Mark, my expertise on working with LEDs (with how they relate to electronic variable message centers) is quite high. I can pull the guts out of a "jumbotron" and fix what's wrong with it. There's a lot of complicated daisy-chained crap in those devices -and that doesn't even get into the controller(s) making it all come together. I can also design some kick ass graphics to animate on the things. I train end users how to get the most out of the things. The only thing I lack is the manufacturing capacity to make the LED parts themselves. You don't manufacture LEDs in your day job or deal with LEDs on the sort of large scale that I do.

You're also on very shaky ground if you want to insist that a fluorescent lamp is going to be more reliable than a RGB LED cluster on maintaining consistent brightness and color temperature levels over a set period of time. CCFLs are not as good as you think.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: