Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Are wireless home surround systems any good?

Author Topic: Are wireless home surround systems any good?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-21-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so we got a nice large TV set but still have the old stereo system underneath it. I am fully ready to tackle the snake-pit of wiring a new system in, but don't like the thought of tunneling thru the walls to do the surround speakers. I've seen a few 'wireless' systems where the surrounds are wireless - are they worth considering? Any recommendations as to best/worst?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-21-2009 03:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just lay the wires on your carpet, out of the way. There is no law saying that they must go through the walls or the floor. Just don't trip on them. If anyone trips on them, never allow them to your house again because they are obviously not very observant and do not deserve to be friends with anyone.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe spoken like a single guy. We married fellows can't have nasty wires showing for our sound systems. We have to have nice neat areas with all the movies in their place. Remember when you get married it is a 50/50 split and both of the 50's are hers!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-30-2009 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez man, stand up for yourself! Every time she says "no wires", you double the amount, even if the wires aren't hooked up to anything.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-31-2009 07:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only thing that I'm leery of using anything wireless is picking up any form of radio/HF intereference,esp when solar flares happens, within the signal itself, let alone just being a unshielded way to transmit audio signals from one device to another where you can't ground out any sort of interference..

Granted, doing the wire thing sounds like a lot of work, but there are ways to make it almost invisible if one really knows, or can figure out how to make wire installs look professional.

Surround speakers - since they really don't need the current as does the screen speakers, one can almost get away with using 18g speaker wire that one can easily tag under/behind the mopboards, and if necessary, get some of those thresholds that one runs wire in them in traffic areas.

BOSE has a wang dang system called the "321 system" that sorta fits this home theatre situation..oughta check it out

..but it's a pricey unit...

-Monte

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2009 12:41 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while, but the last time I looked into wireless speakers they still required AC power. That would have, of course, required and electrical wire from the speaker to an outlet. I felt I was better off with speaker wire running at the edge of the carpet, up the side of a window, and a short distance to the speaker.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-01-2009 02:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lowe's sells adhesive plastic wiring channels for less than $5. Stick them to the wall and paint them the same color as the wall.

I ran the wires on the floor behind the furniture, and used those rubber floor mats you hide wires in to cross a doorway. Then I ran the wire channels from the floor straight up to the bottom of the speakers.

These kept the wires out of view and were good enough for Wife #1's approval.

(My new place has a bit more obnoxious setup, but I have nobody to answer to.)

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2009 12:30 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I'm sorry you misunderstand but I actually am very happily married and after two previous marriages ending with me footing the bills for several years for the exes I will just gladly say "yes dear" when one of my personal quirks isn't as acceptable to her as me. I have lost nothing and gain a great deal! I get my way often enough that a few wires being stored except when the system is in use are nothing to get flustered or territorial about.

Ron

Monty,

Not shielded on the wireless speakers and yet you can have secure data wireless networks that don't seem to have much interference! Just a thought!

I don't know I about bose man um bose isn't something I have been much impressed with of late. Though they use to make a killer speakers systems with real speakers and not those aquatic wave things!

Ron

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2009 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know I about bose man um bose isn't something I have been much impressed with of late. Though they use to make a killer speakers systems with real speakers and not those aquatic wave things!

Yeah, their "acoustimass" systems (with the little "satellite" speakers" and the bass module) are horrible. The low end rolls way off somewhere around 200hz. If you are a bass guitar player you'll notice you can play hear C# in that octave really well but the D a half-step up is practically non-existent.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I have these giant speakers they made in the lat 90's that had killer sound but recently either my amp or the speakers blew in DTS mode from Bluray. Not sure which it is though hoping it is the receiver and not the speakers.

I think I payed $1500 for the speakers back in 97 or 98. I miss my full sound the TV sound just does not cut it you know! [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: