Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Can Blu-ray be shown on standard-def TV?

Author Topic: Can Blu-ray be shown on standard-def TV?
Julie Lucero
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 12:33 PM      Profile for Julie Lucero   Email Julie Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Blu-ray compatible with standard-definition TVs?

Now, I know that sounds like a lame question because obviously standard definition and high definition are two separate systems, but before you flame me, allow me to explain my situation. My husband and I wish to upgrade to high definition but we cannot purchase at the same time the Blu-ray player and a high-definition display. So, (1.) If we bought the player first and also started buying Blu-ray discs, will we be able to enjoy them on our current television (a 15-year-old Sony 27") until we are able to go out and purchase the high-def display? (2.) Are the output jacks on the back of the Blu-ray players a type compatible only with high-def TVs? (3.) And if my question can even be answered in the affirmative, what happens to the image? Does it get down-rezzed to standard-definition quality?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-21-2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they can be played back on SDTVs. They'll even look better than DVDs due to the lack of compression artifacts on most discs.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-21-2009 02:49 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every Blu-ray player I've checked for SDTV compatibility has included at least one or more outputs for SDTV connection. Most have S-Video and composite video outputs. You can also tell the Blu-ray player to output only 480p and use component video connections if your SDTV supports that.

If you bought something like a Sony Playstation 3 you might need to buy a certain AV adapter to use S-Video or component video functions. It has a basic adapter for 2-channel stereo and composite video included in the box.

Every Blu-ray player is also able to play standard DVD movies too.

Anyone needing to replace a malfunctioning DVD player should seriously consider a Blu-ray player.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-22-2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any, many or most Blu-Rays, while outputting HD on the HDMI jack also output an SD version on the composite jack?

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-22-2009 02:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't tried it, but I have doubts based on how the PS3 works. You have to specify either-or for outputs on video and audio. For example, the PS3 will not send audio over HDMI and optical outputs at the same time. You have to choose one or the other. If you're using HDMI for video connection it makes you specify that as well.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-22-2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten audio over optical and HDMI at the same time on the PS3. Granted, the HDMI was just stereo PCM coming though my TV speakers.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-22-2009 07:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What settings were you using with your PS3? I assume you're sending audio via HDMI now since you bought that new receiver recently.

Maybe the 80GB PS3 system I have is a bit different. When I choose to send audio via the optical output it doesn't send any audio over HDMI, otherwise I'd hear something coming from my TV set. If HDMI is chosen I don't hear anything from my stereo system speakers, just the speakers on the TV. I tried that a couple of times to check lossless audio bit rates.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-23-2009 02:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was just sending stereo LPCM 16-bit 48khz over the HDMI, and not all of the time. Only sometimes. It is weird. Firmware updates since then have probably corrected this.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-23-2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my Sony standard Trinitron television but like you Julie, I will be getting a HD set very soon. Although I will not be getting the tremendous improvement in picture quality HD offers yet, I just invested in a Blue-Ray player because it is more practical to buy a BD of a new release now rather than SD version because I can still watch it on my current standard set. As joe said, the picture quality is much better watching a BD on a non HD set than a regular DVD. The best part of watching movies in Blue -Ray I have found is the improvement in the sound quality. Although I have been having some problem with the sound clipping with my speaker system, It seem to be under control now. I have always favored DTS sound when I watch movies at home but over the years, DVDs with DTS were not as sonically exciting as the ones that were initially released because of the reduced amount of bit space. Bobby had just informed me the other day that all DTS soundtrack can playback in the full bit rather than DTS tracks on current DVDs. I have been noticing that DTS tracks on new DVD releases has become very scarce but every titles from Fox, Universal and a few others all have DTS tracks on Blue-Ray. I have found even regular Dolby 5.1 tracks sound great with my speaker system from Blue-Ray discs.

-Claude

[ 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Julie Lucero
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2009 02:27 PM      Profile for Julie Lucero   Email Julie Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: