Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 2.35 ratio LCD TV for sale this year (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 2.35 ratio LCD TV for sale this year
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like philips got bored with 3D TV's and decided to also put in the home market some 56" LCD TV made at (about) the 2.35:1 ratio. Needless to say it will have increased resolution from 1.78 1080p, so who knows what this thing will be.

http://www.cinematicviewingexperience.com/press.html

The link is to philips still-in-development-website for the new line of more-than-HD LCD TV flat screens that will have a (roughly) 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I guess we could call them 2.5K TV's. They have a whole line up thing ready for them. There are some slideview pictures of their home theater offers featuring the "scope" TV, but I'm not sure linking to that site would be allowed here.

Does any one know if current blu-ray Scope films are mostly 1920x1080 anamorphic or are they letterboxed? I guess they were smart enough to release them anamorphic and let TV's like this stretch (resize) them to correct 2520x1080 resolution instead of letterboxing to 1920x820 or so in current (1.78:1 aspect ratio) HD displays.

Now they only need to make it 3D ready and it would be the "dream home TV" for many movie enthusiasts.

Unfortunately, that would mean black pillar-box bars on the sides for 1.85 flat movies and 1.78 HD TV series [Wink] (The TV will stretch them if you want ... but there's still plenty of 1.33 TV content out there being streched to 1.78 already ... I don't think streching it to 2.35 will work ... lol)

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty spiffy stuff there. I was wondering if and when this would happen...

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you'll only have to wait a few more months ... on the stores by 2nd/3rd quater, I heard.

Now, if they make a 65" model with 2560x2160 resolution and alternate the polarity between lines for 3D, I'm so buying it!!!!

BTW, it's not like it will cost them much more to make it that way ... manufacturing pixel densities on 48" 1.78 and up are already sufficient, so a 65" 2.35 display is almost just a matter of cutting the mother panel differently and adding a bit faster electronics to properly support it.

Theoretically, such a TV could be sold, today, in stores, for less than $4000 at a profit.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-16-2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While a 21:9 ratio HDTV would seem pretty cool in concept, I'm at least a little skeptical about how the image quality will look in a LCD-based TV with a fixed pixel grid.

This TV would have to "zoom" into the letterboxed image of a 2.39:1 Blu-ray movie for it to fill that 21:9 screen. I never use the zoom function on my TV because zooming sucks. I'm probably not the only one who feels that way. Maybe Phillips is marketing this TV so it can force people to finally use that zoom button.

Perhaps if a 2.39:1 TV had an imaging system not based on a fixed pixel grid (kind of like what CRT was able to do) I wouldn't have a problem zooming the image. Since all LCD-based flat screen TVs have a fixed pixel grid, changing content (the 1080p Blu-ray movie) out of its native resolution yields pretty noticeable problems. LCD-based televisions and computer monitors work best when the video signal being fed into maps out 1:1 with the fixed pixel layout of the screen.

Hollywood studios are not going to change to a 2580 X 1080 pixel layout over one electronics manufacturer offering such a set. I don't see them applying an anamorphic style squeeze on 1920 X 1080-based movies either. Again, you're going to be stuck with zooming 2.39:1 Blu-ray movies on a 21:9 TV set.

quote: Julio Roberto
Does any one know if current blu-ray Scope films are mostly 1920x1080 anamorphic or are they letterboxed?
Anamorphic enhancement isn't used on any 1080p-based movies in Blu-ray. If the image is 2.39:1 it is merely letterboxed. The only anamorphic-enhanced video I've seen on Blu-ray has been extras in DVD-quality 480p format -such as the Dangerous Days documentary in the Bladerunner 5-disc collector's edition.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 04:48 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Anamorphic enhancement isn't used on any 1080p-based movies in Blu-ray. If the image is 2.39:1 it is merely letterboxed. The only anamorphic-enhanced video I've seen on Blu-ray has been extras in DVD-quality 480p format -such as the Dangerous Days documentary in the Bladerunner 5-disc collector's edition
Bummer! Anamorphic squeeze was used plenty in DVD discs, and BD actually DOES use it but only for 1440x1080 content, not for 1920x1080 (and then only to stretch it to 16:9, not 21:9).

Who on earth designed the specs for BD? A new HD format and they only include anamorphic enhancement for 1440x1080. A new HD format and no provision for 3D stereoscopic content whatsoever. Makes you wish HD-DVD would've won the battle (not that it was any better, just out of spite for the stupidity of settling on lesser standards when better ones don't cost any more ... [Shrug] )

I smell BD specs update 2.x and a new set of anamorphic special edition BD disc's a few years down the road to allow squeezed images in 1920x1080 that the TV can later un-squeeze to correct ratio, thus using all available resolution instead of 1920x800 we get today from BD scope movies ...

Hollywood studios are not going to change to a 2580 X 1080 pixel layout over one electronics manufacturer offering such a set.
They wouldn't need to. 2K digital intermediates for Scope films are often 2048x1556 square pixel (1.33) anamorphic if coming from 35mm scope film. Just resize it to 1920x1080 and encode it in a BD disc. Have the player letterbox it if output is selected for a 16:9 tv, like it already does with 1440x1080 content or like anamorphic DVD's have always done.

But on 2.35 TV's or home projectors with anamorphic lenses, do not letterbox it and output it as-is, verbatim. The display would then just stretch it out to the correct aspect ratio (2520x1080), preserving the top vertical resolution. Very minor firmware updates would be needed to support this. I'm pretty sure most current BD players wouldn't have any trouble with letterboxing 1920x1080 content.

But it would be better to include some HDMI flag to signal 1.85 or 2.35 content. That way, the display could stretch it to the correct ratio for flat movies also. But it's pbbly not worth it just to avoid the minor cropping on 1.85 BD material (displayed at 1920x1040 letterboxed currently, instead of 1920x1080, as BD is capable of producing). Not worth it to go through HDMI incompatibilities for only 40 rows of pixels for flat movies.

Scope movies, that's another story. The difference is significant. Definitely something we will see in home a/v equipment at some point the future. How long of a future is anybody's guess. Mine is: not too long. Less than 5 years. That way, Hollywood would be able to sell us another copy of that BD wide (scope,vista,70mm,etc) movie we can't live without it one more time w/o wasting all those pixels in big black bars on top and bottom of the actual image inside the BD disc ....

[ 01-16-2009, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-17-2009 12:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer! Anamorphic squeeze was used plenty in DVD discs, and BD actually DOES use it but only for 1440x1080 content, not for 1920x1080 (and then only to stretch it to 16:9, not 21:9).
21:9 has never been an actual HDTV format. So there never was any need at all for Blu-ray to build in some sort of support for that kind of format. No one was making 21:9 screens when the Blu-ray format was developed.

The 16:9 aspect ratio has been the set standard for HDTV screens and broadcast formats for more than 2 decades. That isn't going to be thrown out just because some company comes along with a 2.39:1 ratio television set.

Back in the early 1990s, I wrote to a couple of different electronics companies pitching the idea of a 2.35:1 ratio HDTV screen with movable masking (this Phillips TV doesn't have any of that). They weren't interested. The 16:9 ratio was already picked. It's not a bad aspect ratio either. It's merely an average between the square-like 1.33:1 ratio and the super-wide 2.35:1 ratio. European 1.66:1 and American 1.85:1 standards fit the 16:9 ratio with minimal letter-boxing or pillar-boxing.

I'm against forcing some sort of anamorphic enhancement standard into Blu-ray for Phillips' new TV screen. Existing Blu-ray players and HDTV sets would not support a vertical squeeze or down-conversion feature to get the 2.39:1 video back into proper proportions. Video quality is also softened a bit in any such process -not exactly something people with high priced HDTV sets are going to tolerate. On top of that, there's no guarantee this new Phillips 21:9 TV would support a horizontal-only stretch feature to unsqueeze the image.

In short, the Blu-ray format doesn't need to change its video specifications at all. Phillips' unusual TV will just have to adapt within the limits of those specifications.

Perhaps a few years from now whenever electronics companies start working seriously on the successor to Blu-ray they can build in support for 21:9 ratio television sets -if these things actually become popular and are offered by more manufacturers.

Who on earth designed the specs for BD? A new HD format and they only include anamorphic enhancement for 1440x1080. A new HD format and no provision for 3D stereoscopic content whatsoever. Makes you wish HD-DVD would've won the battle (not that it was any better, just out of spite for the stupidity of settling on lesser standards when better ones don't cost any more ...
The situation would not be any different at all if HD-DVD had won the format battle. Given the limited capacity of the HD-DVD format it would have been even more difficult to accommodate new things like 3D.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its about time but I bet it costs over 20 grand at first! Also, Phillips is the last TV set I'd ever consider purchasing. I've had nothing but trouble with every "modern" Phillips product I've ever owned. I've also seen Phillips parts fail the most often in other brands of TV's, especially ATSC tuner modules. I'll wait till Samsung does it.

Bobby,
I don't have any problems zooming on a Blue Rae disk... but on regular DVD it just magnifies NTSC's problems. Blue Rae holds up pretty well at the equivelent "zoom size" on my Samsung 46" and still looks mighty sharp. I would guess the Zoom 1 Size is equivelent to 54" or there abouts and Zoom 2 about 65".

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-17-2009 07:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zooming will have to be what the Phillips 21:9 does to fill the screen for 2.39:1 movies. I don't think every 2.39:1 letterboxed Blu-ray movie in the future should have an anamorphic squeeze applied just for the benefit of that one TV model. There's far too many 16X9 HDTV sets in use now to do anything like that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2009 10:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zooming seems to be working for many in DCinema...those screens are much larger.

Steve

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2009 12:27 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, the problem isn't so much zooming on a fixed pixel display in general, it's the quality of the scaler involved in the process. If they use something equivalent to or better than Anchor Bay's VRS for example, I can't imagine any complaints.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2009 01:15 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time getting past that. Look at the situation with LCD-based computer monitors. In that realm, those types of monitors absolutely must operate in their native resolution otherwise the imagery just looks like blockified ass. Absolutely terrible. When it comes to fixed resolution displays (as all LCD-based monitors are) it is always best to have a 1:1 ratio in terms of digital imagery mapping to the fixed pixels in the display. I have strong doubts the 21:9 Phillips display is going to get image quality scores equal or better than that of its rival LCD HDTV brethren.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2009 01:27 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Zooming seems to be working for many in DCinema...those screens are much larger.
Different animal. In D-Cinema you are optically magnifying (zooming) after the image has been created in it's native form on the DLP Chips. "Zooming" on a fixed pixel array TV involves resampling an image that is in one resolution to fit a pixel array that is another resolution.

2K digital intermediates for Scope films are often 2048x1556 square pixel (1.33) anamorphic if coming from 35mm scope film.
The vast majority of 2K digital intermediates for so-called 'scope films these days are non-anamorphic coming off of a super35 negative at 2048x856 or they are cropped off HD Cameras at 1920x802 or something like that.

The one complaint I do hear from people with blue-ray is that they want 16:9 versions of scope movies without letterbox. I tell them to watch HBO HD.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2009 11:25 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
The vast majority of 2K digital intermediates for so-called 'scope films these days are non-anamorphic coming off of a super35 negative at 2048x856 or they are cropped off HD Cameras at 1920x802 or something like that.
Indeed. That's why, if you read the quote in your post, I said *IF* coming out of a Scope film. If it comes from an spherical (super 35, digital, or whatever), then the resolution coming from the DI "master" is not even 1080p to begin with ...

But with a Scope film (scope as in classic true scope), the DI is digitally re-scaled to 1920x820 for Blu-Ray, so any "worries" that digital (what Bobby calls "fixed grid") re-scaling is "bad" per-se is ... well, not NECESSARILY well founded.

What I'm trying to say is that ALL (true) scope movies have been re-scaled for blu-ray. And that ALL *digital* re-scales are "fixed grid". There is no way to convert a (true) scope 2K digital intermediate to a 1080p blue ray 2.35 release w/o digital (non-optical) re-scaling today.

If you buy a blu-ray disc that came from any (true) scope 35mm film and you are happy with the quality ... well, that means "fixed grid" re-scaling is fine with you.

To be honest, I know what Bobby means, but you must also realize that digital re-scaling, be it from a DI 2048x1556 to a letterboxed 1920x820 blu-ray is no "voodo" art, and that a good digital real-time re-scaler can do it at the TV level if it was necessary. The rescaling of Scope films is not done optically at the scanner, but digitally at the DI level. So if you are ok with your blu-ray copy of ANY Scope film, you are OK with digital ("fixed grid") re-scaling (when done right).

Rescaling a "natural" image is a no-brainer and perfectly normal process that is done almost every step of the way in professional imaginering, photography, editing. Changing 2048 to 1920 is already a "fixed grid" re-scale.

What you are objecting to is not a "re-scale" but an "up-scale", where a lesser resolution image, usually not a natural image but text or similar, is upscaled to fit a display with more pixels in a proportion that is not even (i.e. 2x, 4x, 8x). Then you'll see all sort of artifacts.

But to complain that a picture of superior resolution that is (say) 2048x1556 (like a Scope movie DI) will lose quality when "converted to a fixed grid of" 1920x800 to be displayed ... is to complain that every single BD disc of a Scope movie in the market today is "unacceptable" because it has been digital rescaled from non-multiples pixel "grids" sizes.

A scope blu-ray will have MORE resolution than a 1080p display can handle, so it will DOWNSCALE and it will look just fine, exactly like it does today, where it's already have been downscaled before putting it in the disc.

It's upscaling that's "bad". And that's the "zoom" you are talking about. You wouldn't need to "zoom" an anamorphic blu-ray for your non-2.35-ratio display. It will be a "zoom-out" (and only in the vertical dimension at that), and that looks fine. It's already what is being done, except that it's being done in the studio prior to encoding the movie in the disc. Actually, blu-ray players already re-scale 1440x1080 discs. And there are several in the market.

And if you are still not convinced that an anamorphic blu-ray of a scope movie will look good in your 1.78 TV ... well, you can always purchase the "full screen" version ("full screen", for Blu-ray, would be 1.78 ... just like full screen, for DVD, was 1.33) [Smile] That way, you can enjoy your 1920x820 Scope movie from the downscaled 2048x1556 master.

Meanwhile, those purchasing the "anamorphic" version of the blu-ray with a 2.35 TV (or a home projector with an anamorphic lens) would be watching a 2560x1080 movie, upscaled-in-one-dimension ("stetched") from 1920x1080, downscaled from the same master 2048x1556.

All this theorizing about a future update to blu-ray specs allowing for anamorhpic discs. But I'm sure it will happen as I'm sure LOTS of people are gonna go for the 2.35 ratio 2.5k resolution displays in the (not too distant) future.

It's not even out yet and I already have customers willing to buy it. If the price is not outrageous which, as I said, there is no manufacturing reason for it to be.

About Philips being a "bad brand", like Mark said, and their parts often failing, Mark has to realize that Philips is one of the two leading vendors of tuners in the world, and as a result basically "all" TV's will have philips parts. As a result, ANY tv in the world of any brand which tunner "breaks", for any reason (i.e. electrical storm) .... it's probably a philips. So philips parts would ALWAYS be 100% of all the failures because they are .... 100% of all the market.

I'm exagerating, of course. Philips pbbly only has like 60% of the market. But this automatically means 60% of the failures.

On the other side, Philips shares factories and production with LG. Actually, most panels they use, are join Philips-LG. If you don't want to buy a Philips TV, then don't buy an LG TV either. Basically same thing.

Also, they supply panels and components to almost all other manufactures in the world. As you said, it's very common to see philips parts on plenty of TV's around. 22% of ALL THE LCD's manufactured IN THE WORLD are Philips-LG. Buy an LCD TV monitor, TV or laptop screen and you have 1 in 4 chance of it being manufactured by Philips-LG.

My experience, BTW, happens to be completely the opposite of yours. I usually enjoy the machines with philips parts inside and find them usually great and reliable. No wonder they are the number one in the many markets.

But the philips "whole products" (i.e. a philips-branded TV or a sound equipment, not the IC's or individual components), I haven't found very reliable. But notice that the same thing applies to Sony. I've had so many Sony electronics that I had to repair or send back and lost so much money with them, I try really hard not to buy or sell anything Sony again.

[ 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-18-2009 09:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But to complain that a picture of superior resolution that is (say) 2048x1556 (like a Scope movie DI) will lose quality when "converted to a fixed grid of" 1920x800 to be displayed ... is to complain that every single BD disc of a Scope movie in the market today is "unacceptable" because it has been digital rescaled from non-multiples pixel "grids" sizes.
You're going a very long way to twist around my words.

That Phillips TV won't be getting any native 2K movie content specially authored for it. It's only going to be getting whatever the Blu-ray format will provide. And when it comes to 2.39:1 movies on Blu-ray that means letterboxed images inside a 1920 X 1080 frame. The Phillips TV will have to blow up that letterboxed image.

You're also not acknowledging the situation that there's probably no HDTV sets in existence that will do a vertical squeeze function to make a full screen 1.77:1 letterbox down to 2.39:1. Encoding an anamorphic enhanced image on every 2.39:1 BD movie just for the sake of that Phillips TV is just not going to work.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're also not acknowledging the situation that there's probably no HDTV sets in existence that will do a vertical squeeze function to make a full screen 1.77:1 letterbox down to 2.39:1. Encoding an anamorphic enhanced image on every 2.39:1 BD movie just for the sake of that Phillips TV is just not going to work.
I did acknowledge that. I said a firmware update would be needed for current players, but that no current player should have problems letterboxing the decoded image. The TV wouldn't have to do the downscaling ... the player would and I would be passed letterboxed 1080p as it's being done now.

Alternatively, if your player's manufacturer neglects to offer you a (simple) firmware update, you could just buy the "non-anamorphic" version of the disc.

I believe that 2.35 TV's are going to become very common in a few years and other manufacturers are quickly going to come out with their own models. Then enthusiasts will push for an updated Anamorphic blu-ray format, and blu-ray and Hollywood would see the $$$$ of selling the same movies over again and be delighted to make the (very minor technical) necessary changes.

We'll continue this conversation in a couple of years. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: