Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Incredibly low Blu-Ray disc prices (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Incredibly low Blu-Ray disc prices
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 04:50 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought perhaps a thread pointing to unusually low prices on popular BR discs might be useful. For example two weeks ago - for one day - the Die Hard Collection was only $46.95 on Amazon. Next day it was $81.99 again. At the same time both Kill Bill discs were only $9.95 each at Amazon (Canada). Even with shipping it was more than $10 cheaper than any US supplier. Same time Best Buy had a few nice 2-fors as low as $22.99.

Currently "Reservoir Dogs" and "Terminator 2" can be found at Amazon for $10.49 each. Also there is a B2G1 free deal there with some good titles - many at under $20. For individual titles I would think under $14.99 for recent releases or $12.99 for catalog might be a good deal to report.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-14-2009 05:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-Mart and Sam's Club have a number of movies on Blu-ray for $10 each, or just a little more than $10. I mentioned this in another thread, but I guess it's worth repeating here.

Wal-Mart has Reservoir Dogs, Crash, Young Guns, the first three Rambo movies (and perhaps a couple others I'm forgetting) for $10. I've seen Terminator 2 for $11 or $12.

Sam's has movies like The Road Warrior, Bullitt, A Clockwork Orange, The Searchers and maybe a few others for just under $11.

I bought a copy of The Searchers. At a price under $11 it's quite a bargain for the good image quality (this 1950s classic was filmed in VistaVision) and extras on the disc.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 10:34 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
SAW - Amazon has a special on the first four through the end of January including I & II on BR for $10.49.

I had seen The Searchers on HD-DVD from Netflix and was impressed. I will probably pick that up. Already have Rio Bravo and that looks great too. Thanks.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-18-2009 11:25 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon is offering a "Buy Two, Get One Free" sale on certain DVD and Blu-Ray titles until April 24.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek TOS - Season One on Blu-ray is coming in the next couple of weeks. It is extremely reasonably priced at $72.99 at Amazon. It includes all 28 (?) season one shows in either the original or enhanced-special effects versions and with the original mono or new DTS-HD 7.1 audio. Initial reviews are linked below. The DVDBeaver review has lots of screen caps. Looks like a no-brainer for fans.

Digital Bits Star Trek TOS Review

DVDBeaver Star Trek TOS Review

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-16-2009 09:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy. There's quite a few VERY GOOD DEALS on Blu-ray movies lately.

Last week, new BDs of Up, Monsters Inc. and Heat arrived in the mail. I paid an average of $16.50 for each movie.

I just placed an order at Amazon for Fight Club and Leon: The Professional, costing $16.99 and $15.99 respectively.

The new release of Star Trek (which I don't plan on buying) will be priced just under $20 for the Blu-ray and just under $15 for the DVD. Apparently this pricing will be common at many retailers if a commercial I just saw on TV is any indication.

Amazon has the pre-order price of The Hangover Blu-ray set at only $16.99. And that price could actually drop a buck or two between now and Dec. 15.

The widespread price cuts could be seen as an indication Hollywood studios are finally positioning Blu-ray as a mass market item rather than a premium priced high end product. We saw this before with DVD between its 3rd and 4th year on the market.

The price cuts and steadily improving quality control on how movies are mastered for Blu-ray make for a really positive combination. I really need to get more serious about selling many of those old DVDs I have while they can still be sold for at least a couple bucks!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my neighborhood 7-11, the cashier's station has a P.O.P. display with major studio Bluray at $9.99

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-23-2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon.com current has the Blu-ray versions of Up, Cars and Monsters Inc. offered together as a 3 title package for just $30.99. That's just a little over $10 per movie, two of which are new releases with multi-disc packages.

I also noticed a pretty good number of catalog titles on Blu-ray at or below the $10 level. Amazon has lots of BD titles near the $15 level.

This online push has me wondering what some of the retailers (such as Wal-Mart) will be doing with Blu-ray pricing specials on Black Friday and on through the holidays.

I hope some store, whether it is an online merchant or a retailer like Target, has the Blu-ray version of Band of Brothers on a low priced special. It would be great to get that box set at or below $30.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-23-2009 11:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the 5th Element at Wal*Mart for $13. Not sure if that is a good price or not. I'm still not sure if it is even a good movie or not. It seems to have an identity problem because it doesn't seem to know what kind of movie it wants to be.

quote: Bob
Amazon.com current has the Blu-ray versions of Up, Cars and Monsters Inc. offered together as a 3 title package for just $30.99.
That would be a good deal if Cars was not included. What a shitty movie that was. It has absolutely no right to exist. I think Pixar should be fined by the New World Government for having made it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-23-2009 11:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon has another deal with just Up and Monsters Inc. for $26.48 -roughly $13.24 for each 4-disc package.

Edit: a little update from stuff I noticed at the top of the Blu-ray.com website (which shows the most popular BD deals at Amazon), Amazon has the BD of Raging Bull on sale for only $8.99.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-24-2009 11:53 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Buy has the HBO mini series JOHN ADAMAS on sale now for $24.95 but when I had learned about it and called the store, they were all sold out in my area. I understand it is available at Amazon at about the same price plus shipping.

-Claude

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-26-2009 10:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon.com currently has nearly 200 movies on Blu-ray listed in its Black Friday special. Many of these movies are priced below $10. A few dozen are priced at only $7.99.

Obviously, this is a better deal than what Wal-Mart is offering (30 selected BD titles priced at $15).

Best Buy has nearly 100 Blu-ray titles available at its website for under $10. Best Buy stores may also have similar pricing for the same Blu-ray movies during Black Friday.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2009 10:05 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All seasons of Lost are on Amazon's Deal of Day. I got all 5 seasons for $108 on Bluray. DVD deal is around $75.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-10-2009 10:26 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Below $20 pricing helped Terminator: Salvation set a new record for Blu-ray market share for opening week. According to VideoScan 42% of the discs sold for Terminator: Salvation during its opening week were on the Blu-ray format. That beats the previous opening week BD market share record of 38% set by Star Trek.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-14-2009 09:24 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today only (December 14) Amazon is offering the Blu-ray version of the acclaimed HBO mini series Band of Brothers for $39.99. That's $60 off the MSRP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: