Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Wanted: Advice for New Home Sound System (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wanted: Advice for New Home Sound System
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have this new house and I want a new home sound system. It will undoubtedly be a home theatre set up, but it will be budget conscious and live in the living room. The good news is that my living room is 19’ X 19’. The living room comes with a 50” wide niche for a projection television. The only problem is that the fireplace is central to the living room and the niche is off-center.

For a television I was thinking of one of four different methods. First, I want a 60” plasma screen. That’s not going to happen due to the high cost. Then I was thinking of one of that new Samsung DLP projection TVs. This would get me HD, the same screen real estate as the plasma, fit in the niche and cost ˝ what the plasma costs. But that is still too much money for a TV. Then I was thinking that I could get an LCD projector, ceiling mount it and use the opposite wall for the screen. This would have the advantage of size and cost effectiveness but the disadvantage of having to darken the room to watch TV. The sidewall is all windows. My final thought is to just get a 36” CRT TV for less than a grand and be done with it.

The video I would run off of a Dish Network system with a PVR built in. For a DVD source I would want to find a reasonably priced, progressive scan, DVD player.

For Sound I was thinking the following: Outlaw Audio http://www.outlawaudio.com/home.html has a nice receiver for $499 or a very good processor and amp.

-

For Speakers I was thinking of B&W floor standing speakers http://www.bwspeakers.com I have always been impressed with B&W speakers. Another speaker system I was considering is Magneplanar speakers. http://www.magnepan.com My mother’s husband has had these speakers for years and they are crisp and clear. They have an Internet special where you can get a pair of their smallest speakers the MMG for $500. I would get 5 of these and a nice subwoofer. Planar speakers are noted for their lack of bass.

So I just put this out there for comment. Let the opinions fly.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-19-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
Go Pass Labs all the way for electronics. Check out Dynaudio speakers. They are both among the finest home audio stuff available. If you want to hear whats in the music this stuff is unequaled.
www.passlabs.com
www.dynaudio.com

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-19-2003 06:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want real HD, you're not going to get it from DLP, LCD or any flat screen stuff --at least for now in the current, overpriced offerings. Some flat screen monitors can hit or slightly surpass the 720p rez spec (1280 X 720 pixels). But I won't be satisfied until they match the 1080 spec (1920 X 1080 pixels). The only flat screen monitors on the market that do that are flat panel computer monitors (that also don't cost anywhere near as much either!).

Now if I were going to go out today and spend some serious "Jack" on a television monitor, I would get a really good rear projection HD system. Sure, you'll have to get a semi-truck to deliver it to your house. But those beasts can show 1080HD. And you'll save perhaps a couple extra grand and be able to spend better on things like speakers.

There's lots of great A/V receivers out there. Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo --if you're willing to spend more than $800 for a receiver you'll get a pretty damned good "mid-fi" unit. If you can afford over $2,000 for the receiver or controller, then I'm jealous of you.

I think the most money on a home theater system should go into the speakers, particularly the sub. With a 19' X 19' room, the even square shape will lend to the slam effect when you put a good sub in the corner. If you put something as big as a 15" or 18" unit in there, you'll need to do a lot to take care of vibrating windows and other objects certain to make rattling noise.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yamaha or Denon for the receiver.

Toshiba for the display.

Paradigm Reference for the speaker system.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-19-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT!!! you mean your not installing a complete film chain like I did [Wink]

Josh

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-20-2003 07:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denon? Yamaha? Why not just get a CP500 and be done with it? You can set up custom formats for matrixed Dolby (with or without NR) and use format 10 for 5.1 sound for DVD.

In addition to a full-size DLP projector, Ian will definitely want a Sony HDW-M2000, which is the greatest video deck ever (it plays back Beta SP, Beta SX, MPEG IMX, Digi-Beta, and HDCAM, and records HDCAM). He will also need 16mm and 35mm capability (a pair of Kinoton FP-38Es with ISCO lenses would probably be a good choice), complete with SRD, DTS (including 16mm), and SDDS. He can hire Brad or Steve to run the film for him.

We will be holding the next F-T gathering in Ian's living room.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cost effective!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-21-2003 02:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, just get you a bunch of JBL 8340 surround speakers! They sound great and you'd have perfect timbre matching between all speakers. You could get away with as few as 7 of these speakers (left, center, right, left surround, right surround, left EX, right EX). You'll also want a subwoofer. My Velodyne is powered and sounds kick ass. I am quite amazed at how good it sounds. Just go to the store and ask for the same sub I have and they'll know what to bring out.

I'll leave the receiver, amps, TV, A/V switcher (I hate using the reciever for this function) and videogame system all up to you.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Mark and Steve, what do you think of the idea of a system that uses JBL 8340 speakers in all locations for a home theatre? At $360 each, they are more affordable that most home theatre speakers.

I have looked at Klipsch and found them wanting and too expensive. Actually, I can't believe how bad the entire Klipsch line sounds in the store.

I have looked at Energy/Veritas and found them nice sounding but too damn expensive.

Magnepan has the MMG for sale for $550 per pair, but I'm sure they will sound good but not play too loud; they max out at about 92db. And they suck down the power too.

I'm also just a bit sick of what's out there for HDTV. The Samsung DLP looks great in HD but sucks in SD. The Mitsubishi rear projection look good but will be tweak hogs. And every thing still costs many thousands of dollars.

Also I have been to most stereo stores in Santa Rosa and quite a few in San Francisco, why do they all suck so much? I have been to a few stores that shouldn’t even be open they present their products so poorly. One store I was in had damaged goods on the floor.

I still don't have a TV.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian did you listen to the Klipsch RF7? Those are really nice speakers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-19-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Klipsch (any model) = [puke] !!!

Ian, the 8340 idea was an idea of mine that a few of my friends have set up with great results. You will be pretty happy with it. Add an EV T-880 subwoofer and you'll be damned happy. [thumbsup]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-19-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I like Energy's speakers. I've heard they are less expensive in Canada though. I think you'd be happy with the 8340's though.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-19-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad, have you ever listened to a pair of Klipschhorns or LaScalas?

They may change your mind about 'all' Klipsch products... [Smile]

-Aaron

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the plasma screen do a google search for 'Plasma screens" and see what model all the other ones are compared to. That's what I did when I bought my 42" Panasonic. I figure the one they are all compared to is the best. Things might have changed since then but I really am happy with my unit. Prices are coming down too. I sit about 16' from the screen and I find that size to be fine

DVD player...this is a shocker but I like the el cheapo $70 Cyber Home 500 because it's really easy to make it "regionless" and honestly it looks as good as the progressive scan Q50 that cost 5X as much that I have.

Amp... I like tubes. Dyanco Stero 70 was the one before my pride and joy the McIntosh MC275 that I use now. Any tube amp with BIG transformers will work.
I have some Klipsch tower type speakers that handle the Mac just fine and they weren't too expensive.
Add a self powered subwoofer (any brand) and you're there

Oh....preamp I use an older NAD, cause it is a preamp/tuner combo that can be hard to find

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-19-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Klipschhorns = sound good with certain music and acoustics...certainly not a good choice for movies.

LaScalas = major [puke] (I have these in one complex and hate them dearly. NO real low end at all and they are overloaded with those "honky" upper bass frequencies. That's not to mention the assinine 7Khz peak they have. But then again, all Klipsch speakers produce about as flat of a frequency response as Ian's ass.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: