Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blu ray for 360

Author Topic: Blu ray for 360
Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2008 06:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw a report that Microsoft is planning on releasing an external Blu-Ray drive for the 360 for $100-$200. Worth it if you already have the 360 and dont have a BluRay system, or better to buy a stand-alone player?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-28-2008 06:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd wait and see. Their HD-DVD attachment wasn't exactly hella cool. It was very limited.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2008 08:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the HD drive was pretty crappy, really bad idea on my part to buy that POS, but HDDVD really sounded cool

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-28-2008 08:31 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that before. Until Microsoft issues a press release, it's just a rumor. An old rumor. That just won't die.

I just picked up a nice Sony BPD-S550 for 299 to go along with my old HD-DVD equiped XBOX.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2008 09:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an older official press release from Microsoft, but only saying that they were planning on it, no timeline or price estimate.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-29-2008 02:26 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200842/2228/Microsoft-once-again-rubbishes-Blu-ray-Xbox-360-claim

quote:
Microsoft once again rubbishes Blu-ray Xbox 360 claim
by Stevie Smith - Oct 13 2008, 11:42

Microsoft continues to deny rumours of Blu-ray coming to Xbox 360.

While most unsubstantiated tech rumours are quickly vanquished once an official source has released a stock-standard denial or “no comment” response, the notion of Microsoft incorporating Sony’s high definition Blu-ray drive into its Xbox 360 videogames console just won’t go away -- no matter how many times Microsoft attempts to kill it.

Specifically, the rumour that just keeps on giving has suffered yet another vicious attack from the Redmond-based software titan after Xbox Group product manager Aaron Greenberg strapped on a pair of steel toe-capped boots in an attempt to finally kick all credibility from the story.

Speaking to Xbox Live guru Major Nelson, Greenberg insisted that Microsoft has “no plans to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience.”

The exec also swung a heavy boot in Sony’s direction regarding Blu-ray by saying Microsoft stands firm behind the belief that “we shouldn’t force people to pay for things they don’t want.”

Microsoft has countered Blu-ray rumours on several occasions following the February demise of Toshiba’s HD DVD format, which the software company backed through a standalone player for its Xbox 360 console.

So where now for Microsoft’s expansive Xbox 360 user base when it comes to HD content?

According to Greenberg, Microsoft’s position on hosting high-definition movie and television content is centred solely on providing online digital distribution through its hugely popular Xbox Live Marketplace.

Revitalised rumours surrounding a possible Blu-ray deal on the Xbox 360 resurfaced last week when online reports began claiming Microsoft had commissioned the hardware’s manufacture through a production deal with Toshiba-Samsung. A somewhat vague retail price of between $100 USD and $150 USD accompanied the speculation.

Despite Blu-ray having won the battle with HD DVD and emerging as the widely accepted industry flag bearer, Greenberg commented that “the days of one physical format being the standard I think are gone.” While adding that no one really knows where Blu-ray’s lukewarm reception is taking Sony’s format, the Microsoft suit offered that “it’s pretty clear it’s not the next DVD, right?”

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: