Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » How To Make Correct Y Connection without Video Loss?

Author Topic: How To Make Correct Y Connection without Video Loss?
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this Component switcher that can switch either Component or S-Video with Composite. What I wish to do is switch both component and composite. I will connect the component inputs in inputs 1-4 for example and the composite inputs in inputs 5-8. I know that if I use a Y connector to split the output of the green component connector to both green and composite I most probably will have video loss on the other end. Is there a way to install some resistors to prevent this video loss?
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way to split a signal without loss...they defies physics...sorry. Distribution amplifiers are there for making multiple copies of signals without signal loss. Remember, with video, one is trying to always form a perfect transmission line so one must match impedances very well to get the signal to the other end in tact.

Steve

Austin Pelnar
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2008 09:09 AM      Profile for Austin Pelnar   Email Austin Pelnar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is not so much loss per`se youll end up with a double termination resulting in video and sync levels being reduced to almost half. Best way is to use a distribution amplifier. Next best is to build out with a 75 ohm resistor and 2200 uf capacitor in series with each leg of your splitter. Youll still end up with a change in video level if you unterminate one leg but not near as bad as just using a 75 ohm resistor or a straight y cable.
Austin

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2008 05:43 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You cannot "split" video. Can you use another output such as a Y/C output to give you another "Y" out? If you use a DA, you may have some delay going through the DA that you will not have on the R-Y and B-Y lines. This may not amount to much. Look at objects to see if the color and B&W are out of alignment (horz.). If this is a problem you may have to add a little delay, or just DA everything, with the same sort of DAs.

Austin Pelnar
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2008 09:45 PM      Profile for Austin Pelnar   Email Austin Pelnar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure why one would DA just one part of a component signal, with a basic DA I dont the belive Y channel delay would be noticable.
In my bag of dirty tricks I have the following VGA DA's make great component DA's as well. Nothing fancy just a basic wall wart powered splitter. If your really stuck for a composite output just tie Y and C together.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2008 03:33 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you just hook Y and C together they will load each other down. They needed to be added together through filters. There are some "adders" on the market that sell for about $5.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious as to if this would apply also to VGA leads , I was looking at installing a Y lead on my digital media player to split output 1. to projector and 2. to VGA monitor intending only to use either one or the other but not both at the same time . ie, use monitor to setup and test media play lists and use projector just to run shows, would this incur and picture loss ?

Austin Pelnar
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Austin Pelnar   Email Austin Pelnar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you just need a switch.
For permanent use go for DA's Most of my dirty tricks are for emergencies or temporary use.
RE Y/C combining thats all your 5$ adaptor does most Y/C outputs are built out at 75 ohms and wont load down. Comb filtering is involved in separating composite into Y/C, honestly passive comb filtering doesnt work that great very lossy and group delay causes unpredictable phase shifts. Active filtering and resync works soooo much better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: