Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "The Robe" restored for Easter 2009

Author Topic: "The Robe" restored for Easter 2009
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-15-2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: got the fubar all straightened out ...

PAGE below tells the story:

Working Over The Robe With the Lowry System
First 'Scope Movie Restored in HD, on Tape, and to Preservation Negs
By Debra Kaufman
November 20, 2008 Source: Film & Video

The Robe,” which premiered on September 16, 1953, was more than a typical Hollywood sword-and-sandal epic: it was also the first-ever film to be released in CinemaScope, a widescreen format that used anamorphic lenses to create a 2.55:1 aspect ratio. The story of a Roman tribune who wins Jesus’ robe after being responsible for crucifying him and then is driven by guilt to learn more about him, The Robe—which was directed by Henry Koster and shot by Leon Shamroy, ASC—was touted as “the first picture on the miracle curved screen,” and a spectacle that didn’t require special glasses.

Schawn Belston, VP of library and technical services at 20th Century Fox, reports that the restoration—at Lowry Digital in Burbank—was a collaboration between the Film Foundation, the Academy Film Archive and Fox. “The reason we chose this title was because it’s important historically as the first CinemaScope film,” he says. “And it posed certain challenges from a restoration point of view because it was in pretty bad shape.” Belston, who has worked with Lowry Digital before, says Lowry Digital was "uniquely qualified" to deal with the restoration. “The original camera negative contains a large number of dupe negatives, and the work required a large amount of [the type of] image processing that Lowry is well-known for.”

Lowry Digital, a subsidiary of Adlabs Films of India, has developed a proprietary “Lowry System” for digital restoration, says COO Mike Inchalik, who reports the company has restored over 400 films. The first step in restoring The Robe was to screen the Academy’s surviving release print. That screening was attended by Lowry Digital restoration artists and colorists to see the benchmarks they would try to reach.

The restoration process began by scanning the elements at 4K resolution with the company’s two Imagica film scanners. “The original camera negative had many, many areas where dupe negative was slugged in 12 or 14 times over the last years,” says Inchalik, who reports the original neg was an early generation Eastman Color. “The dupe negatives came from different labs, on different film stocks and at different periods of time.” Other elements included B&W reels of the YCM separations made of the original camera negative.

The Imagica scanners were ideal for handling the elements, says Inchalik. “There are three things you want to worry about when you’re handling older films. You want to be able to transport it gently, so you need good tension control to make sure you’re not pulling the film under duress, and Imagica’s transport does that. Imagica also does a very good job of having its pins tapered enough so it fits into holes of every size. They have a lot of safety features, so the risk of damage to the film is nonexistent. Third, Imagica does color accuracy really well. Particularly with older films, they do an extremely good job at scanning the full tonal range, which is important when you’re dealing with material that’s faded and you’re trying to extract every bit of color information.”

With many film aficionados proclaiming that film’s resolution is at least 6K, was a scan at 4K sufficient to capture all the information? “We did testing with Fox to demonstrate that it was enough,” says Inchalik. “The rule of thumb is that you should digitize at twice the resolution to get everything. First, you have to think about the smallest piece of grain, since it’s the grain that captures the photons of light and turns it into dye or silver. The other factor is how good the lens is that’s able to focus light onto the film plane. For The Robe, the grain was larger because it was older film stocks. The lenses of that era also reduced the resolution.”

In fact, the soft resolution of those lenses was one of the challenges in restoring the film. “The lenses used at the time were quite soft and had certain kinds of distortion,” Inchalik explains. “The photography itself was a little soft and a little more challenging than you’d like. And, of course, we were dealing with dupes, and dupes of dupes, and were trying to put those together in a way where it looked seamless. The amount of detail that was lost was impossible to reverse, which was what made this an extraordinary technical challenge.”

In an ideal world, the lowest common denominator would be high enough to match, making the end result seamless. “In this case, unfortunately, the lowest common denominator was so contrasty and absent of detail that you wouldn’t have wanted to pull the rest of the movie to that place,” he says.

Belston also noted that the digital restoration was intended to retain the film’s original look. “It had a specific anamorphic quality,” he says. “You can definitely see on the sides of the image a kind of distortion. We could have removed it digitally or minimized it but we decided to be as close to the original 2.55:1 presentation of the film as possible.”

After scanning, the film was color-corrected with Lowry Digital’s Baselight color correction system. Next came the Lowry Process, a Linux-based proprietary temporal image processing technique to regain detail and resolution and reverse the effects of duplication such as grain build-up, softening and excess contrast.

“The basis of our process is trying to improve the look of each individual frame by mathematically borrowing information from surrounding frames,” says Inchalik. “We get detail from surrounding frames and are correctly able to insert it where necessary to give a higher resolution result. To do that correctly, you can’t just look in the same area but know if something has moved frame-to-frame, where it is and what belongs to what. That technology is called motion estimation and we do that at an extremely precise level.”

Inchalik notes that “artifacts fall into categories. If you want to level out sharpness and grain throughout a movie and you get to an optical section where you’re dealing with a copy of a copy, we’re able to increase resolution,” he says. “The key behind it all is that if you’re able to correctly track what goes on from frame to frame, you can assess what belongs. If I have a piece of dirt in one frame, with nothing like it on the frames on either side, I know it doesn’t belong there. But to know that, I have to know where everything on all the frames is going. The highlight on an earring as a head turns might look like a piece or dirt, but if I can figure out it’s moving appropriately from frame to frame, I won’t remove it.”

Scratches are tougher, says Inchalik, since a scratch that moves might look like a telephone pole in the distance while the camera pans. “If my scratch is moving and the camera is stationary, it may tell that it’s not obeying the law of physics,” he says. “Still, you do need manual intervention to take out what the computer left in. The key is to make restorations affordable by making computers as smart as possible, and keep people working on the places where you need artistry.”

The restoration of The Robe took three months to complete. Lowry Digital delivered digital LTO tape, multiple preservation negatives for different archives, and HD masters. Belston, who says he is “thrilled” by the restoration, reports The Robe will get a Blu-ray release for Easter 2009. “A restoration is a labor of love,” says Inchalik. “If you haven’t seen the 'before,' you’ll never realize how far it came. Everything is judged by the final result.”

EDIT: got the fubar straighten out...sorry on the triple post there - don't know what happened... - MONTE

[ 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-15-2008 01:41 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte are you repeating your self? The last three sections are the same as the three above that. [beer]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
In fact, the soft resolution of those lenses was one of the challenges in restoring the film. “The lenses used at the time were quite soft and had certain kinds of distortion,” Inchalik explains. “The photography itself was a little soft and a little more challenging than you’d like."
That doesn't make sense to me. When I saw a vintage print of THE ROBE at the Schauburg CinemaScope festival (June 7, 2008), I was surprised to see how good the (faded) Eastman print looked. It was a 4-track mag print shown at 2.55, made up from both Eastman color and Technicolor IB parts. The latter were more grainy, still had all colors but had less sharpness and resolution.

The faded Eastman footage obviously contact printed from the camera negative had excellent sharpness and no visible problems connected with the primitive Chrétien anamorphic adapter other than a slight distortion during moving camera shots. They must have stopped down very far to get the most out of the "Hypergonar" lens.

Since the negative cannot have less resolution than a vintage contact print, I doubt Mr Inchalik's statement. Of course the dupe negative parts, being two generations removed from OCN, will have to look soft and more grainy, but this certainly is not true for the OCN and vintage eastman contact prints.

I'm looking forward to see what they did in that restoration.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-27-2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So is Fox making any 35mm release prints? Or is this all for Blu-Ray? I heard there was a similar restoraton of both CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I with 35mm prints, but no one a Fox will say if these are ever going to be made available for the art house circuit.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully they've used digital to iron out the "anamorphic mumps" that this filmn suffered from so badly...

Mark

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-27-2008 05:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was only fourteen years old when I made the special effort to see THE ROBE in the new CinemaScope process in late 1953 at the Kuhio Theatre in Honolulu. Because of my age, I rarely had a opportunity to see a movie at some of Honolulu's glamorous first run theatres but my parents made an exception and allowed me to go see it with some of my classmates at school. Seeing a movie on that extremely large wide screen at the Kuhio and listening to stereophonic sound for the very first time was a very unforgettable experience. Consolidated Amusement Company who owned the Kuhio also operated my home town theatre, the Waipahu and a little over a year after they opened the film at the Kuhio, installed CinemaScope and presented THE ROBE at my local theatre and once again in four track mag sound and the experience was just as thrilling as the first time I saw the film.

A standard DVD of THE ROBE was released many years ago and it was nothing special and it did not have any extra features that will be included in the new DVD coming in March 2009. I understand the Blue Ray will have more special features than the DVD and I should have a player by that time to enjoy it.

-Claude

Julie Lucero
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2008 05:14 PM      Profile for Julie Lucero   Email Julie Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I was only fourteen years old when I made the special effort to see THE ROBE in the new CinemaScope process in late 1953 at the Kuhio Theatre in Honolulu.
According to this page, THE ROBE and Cinemascope didn't get seen in Hawaii until March of '54.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 05:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. Because it was sooooo long ago and the film was released in 1953, I just assumed it came to Hawaii and played at the Kuhio along with theatres in major cities all over the United States just about the same time.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2009 05:25 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE ROBE on DVD and Blu Ray is finally coming out on Tuesday, March 17th. This release is one of the reason I had purchased a Blu Ray player before a HD television because of the tons of exclusive special features only the BD release that interests me very much. The Digital Bits reported a special chat with Fox on Monday night, the eve of the release and it should be interesting. Complete transcript from the chat will be posted the next day at the site.

Although Twentieth Century Fox home video had put a lot of time and effort into this release, local video retailers are very luke warm about it including Best Buy and probably Target. Although, it will be available at Best Buy, it can be purchased by online order only. I called Borders yesterday, and was told they will be bringing in only one each on DVD and Blu Ray and was able to get them to reserve the BD for me. If you have plans to pick this up from a local dealer, I would suggest that you do what I did by calling first and having a dealer hold a copy for you if they are stocking it.

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another site with an identical thread going on. What amazes me is that people can actually sit through this film... its really pretty boreing and I di recognize the fact that this restoration was properly done but one also has to remember that it was filmed with a "coke bottle anamorphic" so it's never going to klook all that good really... ditto for other films done with the Chretien adaptor. CS films didn't really start to look sharp until the B&L adaptors were built and put to use.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I am very sorry I will have to disagree with you but unlike Bobby who took offense with one of your "Holy Than Thou" comments on another thread, I will not comment further on your statement about the Robe

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-18-2009 07:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Buy and Target in my area did not bring in the special edition of THE ROBE yesterday but Borders did with one copy each on DVD and Blu Ray. I called first thing in the morning and had them hold the BD for pick up that evening. After a bath and a nice dinner, I settled down to watch all of the special features that was exclusive to the Blu Ray last night and found them very informative. One feature I especially enjoyed was the comparison between the flat 1,33:1 and the 2,55:1 scope version. As far as the movie itself was concerned, Fox did a marvelous job restoring this classic film but I could still see flaws in the picture quality but this is to be expected when all the studio had to work with was dupes and other elements. The sound was mastered on the Bd in DTS and I was glad the original directional sound in the front soundfield was retained. I was hoping the sound would be much fuller but like the picture quality, I know fox tried to do the best with it and it showed. I should be set up for full HD by this weekend and THE ROBE on Blu Ray in it's entirety will be the first thing I will watch.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: