Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Using Blu Ray for theater projection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Using Blu Ray for theater projection
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work in an old restored movie house and we are starting a classic film series. We have a Sanyo digital projector (model unknown) and we use a regular dvd player for presentation. we are using regular off the shelf dvd's (with license).

We use my new sony dvd projector and the quality of the picture and sound is very good. However we have done a little research and really cannot find a pro version of a dvd player, as such.

The projector is located about 50 feet from the screen, in the mid orchestra section, projecting on a screen that is 30' x 20'.

My question is, will a blu-ray player give us a better presentation. I know nothing about blu-ray but several, knowledgeable people told us that the presentation will be better than our current player, using the same dvd discs.

any ideas?

louis

|  IP: Logged

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on your projector's resolution. If it is capable of 720p or higher AND has an HDMI input you will get a 50% increase in resolution on the screen. The player performs a process called "upconverting" to maximize the use of the data on the DVD. Of course if you have 1080p resolution on your projector you could use blu-ray when available and more than double your resolution.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 04:04 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes It will look noticably better than dvd.
http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys, i do not know the model or resolution of the projector. i will have to talk to the stage guys for that info. sounds encouraging so far.

louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-24-2008 07:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't look too much better using the same ol' crappy DVDs, but it will definitely look better with actual Blu-rays. Get a new projector while you're at Wal*Mart.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-25-2008 03:42 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of conflicting opinions about how good "upscaling" or "upconverting" can look. Not only that, but it depends a lot of the exact hardware you have (exact model of projector and DVD player), as well as on how you have them connected.

Some people fall in Joe's camp (it won't look much better), others in Cameron's (it'll look much better). There's no dispute that it will not look as good as BluRay Disc itself, of course.

Joe T. is also correct that you need to be using HDMI in order for upscaling to work.

--jhawk

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-25-2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Joe T. is also correct that you need to be using HDMI in order for upscaling to work.
Not if you have an external scaler that can deal with analog component or SDI.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-25-2008 10:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe JH was referring to using a Blu-Ray's upscaler...you need to use its HDMI out to take advantage of the internal upscaler.

By and large, I'm finding that external scalers do a superior job and allow for aspect ratio conversions and such.

Steve

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Do external upscalers get around the HDCP compliance?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-26-2008 04:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HDCP shouldn't be a factor when playing standard definition DVDs.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-26-2008 04:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only scaler that I'm aware of that deals with HDCP is the Barco ACS-2048. It was ready before their projectors were!

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-27-2008 12:25 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Joe's question was whether external upcalers let you use a projector that doesn't support HDCP.

The rational for the question is that DVD players that do upscaling typically only do so through HDMI/HDCP output, and not through HD component output. So if you have a video projector that doesn't support HDCP, you're out of luck for upscaling.
(Bobby, if you can cite a DVD player that upscales to 1080p and doesn't require HDCP, I'd love to hear about it. I'm not aware of any.)

I assume the answer is Yes, external upscalers will output a component HD signal or an SDI signal, and do not require HDCP in the projector.

Steve, what external upscalers do your recommend?

--jhawk

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-27-2008 06:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been quite pleased with the Extron DVS304 for analog stuff. The Barco ACS2048 does a decent job too. Folsom, in general, (a Barco company now) makes good scalers.

I haven't played with it very much, but many seem to like the Christie CineIPM2K. It isn't HDCP compliant yet...but the Christie DCinema projectors are (all being made today and all previous 2K models can be upgraded to HDCP compliance).

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-27-2008 11:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the kind of "software" being played have something to do with how HDCP functions in HDMI? The level of copy protection in standard definition DVD video is somewhat limited. Blu-ray has more features, including the image constraint token (which I don't think has been used yet on any movie discs).

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-27-2008 12:00 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in the context of DVDs, I believe upscaling DVD players require HDCP if the DVD is CSS-encoded, as of course they all are.

Yes, it is ironic that you can get an 1080p BD image out of a BluRay player without HDCP, but cannot similarly get an upscaled DVD image.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: