Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Home video audio remixing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Home video audio remixing
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-16-2008 03:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how much remixing is done on the AC3 tracks of a DVD release these days? I have a feeling most movies today are remixed for "small rooms" and/or "crappy speakers", rather than taking the pure 5.1 mix and transferring it to the DVD release.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-16-2008 03:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to say. I know Aladdin has a "home theater" 5.1 mix that sounds absolutely gawdawful as well as the "original 5.1 mix" which sounds so much better.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-16-2008 11:37 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a pretty common thing for DVDs and Blu-ray discs to have slightly different mixes from what played in movie theaters.

Many movie soundtracks are mixed with the "X-Curve" of large auditoriums in mind. A big part of the "Home THX" thing was adjusting EQ to counteract that when playing the same mix at home. There is some merit in developing a "near field" mix without that X-curve being part of the audio. That's something New Line has advertised on some of their DVDs.

I also think the filmmakers often go back and change things between the theatrical release and DVD release, possibly to fix things they missed in a blind rush. It sucks that a feature film's mix is often assembled at the last minute. The score, ADR, foley, etc. of a movie that just opened such as Quantum of Solace may have had many of those elements in production into late October or even the beginning of November. Audio editing tools benefit from much more powerful, precise and sophisticated technology than ever before. Even still, if things get done in a rush something is going to get done half-assed.

Then there's the issue of Dolby•EX, 6.1 discrete and 7.1 discrete channel mixes. A lot more of those have been produced for home theater than for commercial movie theaters. Dark City didn't have a 7.1, four surround channel mix during its theatrical run in early 1998. Yet the Blu-ray version has a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-16-2008 07:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any commercial movies have a true 7.1 discrete mix? They'd have to be d-cinema or some sort of newfangled DTS, and I've yet to hear about theatrical 7.1 (4 surround) mixes.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-16-2008 09:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll echo Bobby's comments about re-mixing for DVD release. When I lived in SoCal and could take part in the Hollywood SMPTE meetings and tours of local post facilities, one of things commonly shown was the mixing rooms for video release.

These rooms were much smaller than the mixdown stages used for theatrical release mixes. These rooms were sized to approximate a small living room, and the monitors used were chosen and optimized for listening in the near field.

So yeah, I'd say that the chances are high that what you hear coming from a DVD or Blu-ray disc will be different (sometimes quite different) from the original theatrical mix.

Even the various theatrical mixes of a given title may be different from each other, such as the Dolby SR mix versus the Dolby Digital mix. The mix desks can be set up to automatically fold the digital mix down to LT and RT, but the LT/RT mix is checked separately and can be adjusted separately.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-16-2008 11:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even the digital mixes can be different from each other on a release print, but that is pretty obvious (SDDS-8, duh).

I imagine (i.e. my guess) that perhaps the EQ is adjusted for near field most of the time but only rarely is tampering with the actual effects/placement/levels done... mostly with the conversion to 7.1 or whatnot.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-17-2008 07:46 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the deal with "7.1" home systems, anyway? Do they actually reproduce seven discrete channels plus subwoofer? How is that possible on a DVD? I was under the impression that DVDs only support five discrete channels plus subwoofer, which could be extended to six channels plus sub with EX.

Is this just a marketing scam, or is there an actual extra channel? If so, where do the speakers go?

And is anyone else annoyed when films originally mixed for Dolby Stereo (pre-digital, 2:4 matrix) all seem to have some new whizzy-bangy "Dolby Digital 5.1!!!" remix for their video release? Why can't the video producers at least include the original mix as an option? It's not as if it would cost anything, since the original mix already exists. Same for films with both a mono mix and a Dolby mix--why not include both (not everyone has a surround system at home, and the mono mix would sound better on a crappy TV speaker)?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2008 08:29 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVDs can have 6.1 discrete channels, but 7.1 is a Blu-ray thing. The extra speaker is a fourth surround channel.

quote: Scott Norwood
And is anyone else annoyed when films originally mixed for Dolby Stereo (pre-digital, 2:4 matrix) all seem to have some new whizzy-bangy "Dolby Digital 5.1!!!" remix for their video release?
Hell yes!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-17-2008 09:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I wish they would include the original theatrical 5.1 mix. From what I can tell (and the few times I sit in front of a tv) some of these remixes are all toned down for some shitty little Bose system or something.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2008 09:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe they're mixed so dialog comes out of the surround speakers so "redneck videophiles" won't think their system is defective! [Big Grin]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When most people refer to 7.1 surround, they are talking about the number of speakers they have, not necessarily the source they are using. However, for those few that are using the term correctly, 7.1 channel surround sound is only possible with DTS HD audio, which can only be found on Blu-ray and HD DVD.

DVD has had 6.1 channel mixes using Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES, but those sound formats cannot handle discrete channels greater than 6.1 (AFAIK).

DTS HD (both lossy High Resolution Audio and lossless Master Audio) can have up to 7.1 discrete channels. There are different speaker configurations, which can be specified in the DTS data, which dictate where the speakers should be located for each channel. The most common 7.1 configuration is going to be where there are side surrounds to each side of the listener and then back surrounds behind them at an angle. An alternate configuration has the side surrounds behind the listener as well with the rear surrounds between them:

Speaker Layout / Configuration

Widescreen Review had a lengthy article about the subject of home theater mixes and how the sound place for New Line handled soundtracks for home video releases. The fact that there is no real standard for where people should place the surrounds makes it challenging for the sound people to do the best possible.

The various speaker configurations as outlined on DTS' site seem confusing and unnecessary at first, but they serve as a specification for where the sound channels are being mixed to in the studio. In theory, the A/V processor that is installed could take that information and correllate it with the configuration of speakers in the installation and remix the channels as necessary to orient the sound as originally intended.

My setup is similar to the 7.1 Standard configuration, which I believe is the common configuration that the audio firm for New Line was using. I use the DSP in my receiver to extract rear surround information for those movies that do not have discrete channels and I'm very satisfied with the result!

I also have wiring in the ceiling for a over-the-listener height channel and I can wire for front height channels as well. My receiver can do the latter but not the former, and I haven't been curious enough to play around with it. I'm interested in the effect that a over-the-head channel would have, but not enough to cut the holes and install ceiling speakers just to experiment...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-17-2008 10:59 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
What is the deal with "7.1" home systems, anyway? Do they actually reproduce seven discrete channels plus subwoofer? How is that possible on a DVD?
DTS-ES 6.1 is the only format for DVD that offered more than 5.1 discrete channels of audio. Dolby•EX was still a 5.1 channel format with a matrix-derived center surround channel.

quote: Scott Jentsch
When most people refer to 7.1 surround, they are talking about the number of speakers they have, not necessarily the source they are using. However, for those few that are using the term correctly, 7.1 channel surround sound is only possible with DTS HD audio, which can only be found on Blu-ray and HD DVD.
That's incorrect.

Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (lossy), DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless) and Linear PCM can all feature 7.1 discrete channel mixes on Blu-ray.

3:10 to Yuma is one example of a Blu-ray movie with a 7.1 discrete LPCM mix.

The Nightmare Before Christmas has a 7.1 discrete mix in Dolby TrueHD.

I don't know of any Blu-ray discs or HD-DVD titles that have featured Dolby Digital Plus 7.1. However, DD-Plus definitely does support 7.1.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army has a 7.1 discrete DTS-HD Master Audio mix. Guillermo Del Toro also used 7.1 DTS-HD audio on the Blu-ray discs of The Orphanage and Pan's Labyrinth.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-17-2008 06:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I am not usually annoyed with the 5.1 remixes. Those like Back to the Future, Ghostbusters or whatnot are certainly not "whiz-bang" but definitely better than matrixed stereo. One mix that I have heard ruined was when they remixed Terminator 1 from mono to 5.1. They used all new sound effects and that was really odd and distracting.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-17-2008 06:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the 5.1 Dolby•EX remix on The Terminator DVD being pretty odd. They used a bunch of the same sound effects used on T2, which included some pretty unrealistic handgun sound effects. It's very different from the original mono mix -which had its own weird choices (like the Dirty Harry .44 magnum sound effect applied on numerous different handguns). On the bright side, the original mono track at least was included on the DVD.

I understand the filmmakers have the need to beef up elements like handgun sound effects. However, it would be nice if they still had some sense of realism to them. NONE of the audio mixes to The Terminator have ever had a realistic sounding .45 auto handgun sound effect.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected on the 7+ discrete channels issue; I neglected to read my own Help documentation that I created when I researched the issue last year.

web page

Dolby TrueHD is actually capable of 8 full range channels, but I've never heard of any title taking advantage of it. TrueHD mixes greater than 5.1 have been so few and far between that I must have erased it from my memory as something that was possible with that format. Likewise with PCM 7.1!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: