Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blu-ray for $100 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blu-ray for $100
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon has a great deal. $100 off selected Blu-ray players (including a $199 Sylvania) when you buy four WB titles (most titles $19.95 or less - and some good ones too)!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&ref_=amb_link_7767122_2&docId=1000279241&tag=bluraynews-20

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-11-2008 02:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote about Amazon offering this deal back on Page 3 of the "DVD vs BR-DVD -- live together 4 how long?" thread.

The Sylvania NB500SL9 is reportedly a Bonus View profile 1.1 player, but its HDMI output support audio only to 5.1 channels, not 7.1. Still, it's not too bad with the discounted price dropping to $99 after rebate. The Samsung BD-P1500 can be made BD Live 2.0 capable with a firmware update and does support 7.1 audio via HDMI. That player costs something like $30 more.

Amazon added a few other BD players to the deal. For those wanting a higher end player, the Panasonic DMP-BD55K is $299.95 after the $100 discount. That player has internal decoding for the next-gen audio formats and has a 7.1 channel analog output along with the usual optical and HDMI outputs.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-11-2008 03:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody who buys a $100 Blu-ray player will care about 7.1 channels... or even know what that is.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-11-2008 10:15 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say...Blu-ray has really come along.

My local Costco has FOUR standalone Blu-ray players in stock starting at $199 (Philips).

It looks like everybody's really ramping up to promote it this holiday season.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
the Panasonic DMP-BD55K is $299.95 after the $100 discount.
We installed one of the Panasonic's (supplied by our customer) today feeding a Christie Cine IPM. This player is more or less like my Sony BDP-S300 player in that it has the load thingy that goes round and round and you wait and wait... A pathetically slow machine it is... Picture and sound are decent though.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-13-2008 12:01 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Panasonic BD player one of the newest models (DMP-BD35K, DMP-BD50K)? Reviews I've seen on the newest ones say they're a good bit faster on load times than the previous DMP-BD30 and DMP-BD50 models.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-13-2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately this deal has expired. But I've heard that Blu-Ray prices are supposed to drastically drop after the first of the year.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-13-2008 09:25 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) gave about a dozen Chinese manufacturers approval to make and market Blu-ray players for the Chinese market and for export to other countries (like the United States). I'm not expecting those players to become available in the beginning of 2009, but some of these players may be available by Summer of next year.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-14-2008 01:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blu-Ray we use here at the Giant Screen Theater is the PAnasonic DMP-BD30... just an ok player. The picture on some Blu-Ray disks is actually better then 35mm is at the same 70 foot wide image size!

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-14-2008 10:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently some of Wal-Mart's "Black Friday" specials have leaked out to the press (I wonder if on purpose).Linky Linky

CNN and Money magazine are reporting that Wal-Mart will be selling the Magnavox Blu-ray player they've been stocking lately for only $129. Even more impressive is a 50" Samsung Plasma TV for $798.

Of course, the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for." People buying Blu-ray players (or HDTV sets or anything else) at very discounted prices may be stuck with a product that doesn't work quite as well as they would expect.

For the time being, I'm still recommending the Playstation 3 as the best overall Blu-ray player. If you're willing to deal with some slower load times (and even slower BD Live downloading times) the Panasonic BMP-BD35K is a good choice. The DMP-BD55K is an even better choice if you want both digital and analog 7.1 channel output.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-14-2008 11:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound off the internal Blu-Ray decoder is to my ears VERY lacking. The Pany I installed sounded very smooth and easy to take but lacked a large amount of detail. I ended up running out of the Coax Digital Out jack to the input of the USL ECI-60 digital cinema D to A converter and heard a huge, no actually enormous... improvement in the presented detail... however B-R sound quality is very definately trailing far behind digital cinema sound quality on the disks we ran.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-15-2008 12:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only movie I have seen in Digital Cinema was The Nightmare Before Christmas. The Blu-ray version of the same movie sounds light years better. Light years. Yes, I know that is a distance and not a measure of time and thus not a valid comparison (or is it?). It sounds so awesome it makes you stupid.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-15-2008 01:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I ended up running out of the Coax Digital Out jack to the input of the USL ECI-60 digital cinema D to A converter and heard a huge, no actually enormous... improvement in the presented detail... however B-R sound quality is very definately trailing far behind digital cinema sound quality on the disks we ran.
Do any of the digital cinema systems support HDMI inputs for video and/or audio? To me it would seem like a no-brainer since just about any D-cinema system has a major "phone home" to the distributor element to it.

quote: Joe Redifer
The only movie I have seen in Digital Cinema was The Nightmare Before Christmas. The Blu-ray version of the same movie sounds light years better.
Are you sure you're not being influenced by the new Dolby logo scheme? Woo-hoo.

Honestly, from what I understand, the 7.1 channel Dolby TrueHD mix on the Blu-ray of The Nightmare Before Christmas is a brand new thing. Whereas the 5.1 mix used on the 3D D-cinema shows is derived from the old print masters.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-15-2008 02:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure you're not being influenced by the new Dolby logo scheme?
You mean this piece of shit?

-

Ug. It's like they're trying to look worse and worse. As a friend recently opined to me; Dolby is all corporation now, long gone is "Good ol' Dolby".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2008 08:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of the digital cinema systems support HDMI inputs for video and/or audio? To me it would seem like a no-brainer since just about any D-cinema system has a major "phone home" to the distributor element to it.

No, not yet but an HDMI input module is supposedly under development for the Cine IPM. The IPM supports just about every other type of signal though including DVID. The Blu-Ray sound was far from horrible but no where near as good as the audio comming out of the Doremi which keep in mind is uncompressed.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: