Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Blue Ray Firmware Download Site Dead? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blue Ray Firmware Download Site Dead?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried several times to download the file but nothing happens after you check the I Accept box... Anyone else having troubles? I also tried to E-Mail them through the support site regarding this but the e-mail bounces.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-08-2008 11:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't run into any problem clicking on the link that you supplied. If need be, I could download the file and e-mail it to you...provided that AT&T will allow me to do so.

Edit: I have a copy of the update on my local hard disc. Anyone that needs it should just e-mail me and I'll forward it over.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2008 12:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, I downloaded the file for you. Let me know once you have it and then I will delete it.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 02:37 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still spelled it wrong, but what made you change from Blew to Blue? ARe you finally warming up to sony? [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2008 09:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys!

Bobby, probably too large to e-mail and it's already a zipped file. I downloaded it from Joe's site and made burned the ISO. Still don't know why I can't download it... even shut down the firewall and it still wouldn't download...

Mike... No, not warming up to them... there's still way too much baloney involved. It's the only Sony piece I have in the house and it will probably be replaced by a high end Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player around xmas time.

Edit: The firmware loaded just fine!

Thanks again!
Mark

[ 11-09-2008, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2008 09:09 PM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if of you guys can help me on this one. I have a Sony BDP-S500 and Baraka won't play correctly on it. It tries to load, then finally displays, "Cannot read this disk." I fooled with it, pushing the enter button while it was loading, and it finally cued up. After that it cued whenever I loaded it. I thought all was groovy.

But alas, it froze up the player completely at 1 hour 20 minutes.

Thinking it might be the disk I exchanged it for another at Best Buy, and this one won't even load.

I have updated the firmware and spent at least two hours on Sony's esupport phone line talking to people in Manila. I bought this machine 6 weeks ago. I have taken every precaution to be as patient as I can be regarding early adoption of the format. Every other disk I have loaded in this player has worked perfectly, no hitches.

Does anybody have any ideas? I don't relly want to send the deck to Sony, and I bought it online (which I will never do again.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2008 10:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First make sure the disk will play on another player... for instance at the store you bought the disk from. If it does then you've no choice but to send the player in for repair.

I had a strange incident with my player about a month ago... a friend accidently stuck an HD-DVD into it and the BDP-S300 wouldn't eject it... although mine uses a standard off the shelf Pioneer IDE drive there was no pinhole to release the carrage... but I discovered that there are two terminals on the back of the drive that look like "Master"/"Slave" select terminals that when shorted cause the drive to eject. Problem solved.
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2008 10:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stand-alone Blu-ray players scare me. The PS3 works so perfectly in this regard and I am spoiled by it. I wouldn't mind having a stand-alone player for the bitstreaming capabilities, but the long load times and incompatibilities scare the bejeezus out of me.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-09-2008 11:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who put out Baraka? Was it Fox by chance. I have the Speed disc and it will not play at all in my Sony BDP S350. It says Can not opperate this disc.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2008 11:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if there's a problem with how Baraka was mastered or if a number of Blu-ray players need firmware updates. There's a thread at Blu-ray.com about people having trouble playing Baraka on a number of different players. But the list of affected players seems a bit odd.

Some have had trouble playing the movie on the following players:
Sony BDP-BX1
Sony BDP-S300
Sony BDP-S350
Sony BDP-S500
Sony BDP-S550
Samsung BD-P1500
LG BH200

What's odd is that some who own one of the player models listed above don't have any trouble playing the movie. The freezing error in Chapter 19 or the failure to load disc error doesn't repeat itself consistently on every one of the players in the list.

It's likely to be some sort of firmware issue, or an issue with how the disc was mastered. It's widely known most studios test their Blu-ray discs on the Playstation 3. How many other models of BD Players tested beyond the PS3 isn't known.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2008 12:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
but the long load times and incompatibilities scare the bejeezus out of me.

Those that work with Linux based equipment understand the long boot up/software update times. The only thing I dislike about the BDPS-300 is the crawler load thing at the beginning of some movies. That IS DEFINATELY annoying but none of the new players I know of suffer from this. The BDPS-300 really is a dinosaur as players go... it uses a first generation Pioneer IDE interface BD transport... so you can't expect too much from it in terms of speed. Newer players that utilize SATA drives seem to load ALOT faster than this now old beast is capable of. I have also considered just putting my own player together built on a PC base since BD drives are becomming much more reasonably priced. If I were also into video games I'd probably consider a Play Station but I don't have time nor the need for any more games than my daily job already affords me.

Mark

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 02:17 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Those that work with Linux based equipment understand the long boot up/software update times.
It's not entirely accurate to say "Linux loads slowly" considering that most of the "slowness" you see in the boot-up sequence is usually the distribution you're using choosing to use an antequated init system. There are a few different options for faster, parallel init replacements.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-10-2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
You still spelled it wrong, but what made you change from Blew to Blue? ARe you finally warming up to sony?

The forum has software that will put up a notice about using insults or derogatory language, I found this out when I tried to post those two words together. [Big Grin]

Try it yourself and you'll see.

Edited to add:

I have the BDP-S301 and it has had an attitude problem from day one. Sometimes it refuses to load anything, other times it doesn't lock the HDMI output in sync.

I had to return a BDP-S1 to Sony for repair, they didn't have the parts in stock and had to send us a replacement player.

Overall I have been extremely displeased with the quality control of Sony's products lately.

I installed a Samsung at one of my last screening rooms and it has worked flawlessly with heavy use.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-10-2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of new standalone BD players, the Panasonic DMP-BD35 seems to be a real winner. You can buy one for under $300. Amazon is selling it for $264. It's BD Live capable out of the box, supports all the next-gen audio formats, loads discs noticeably faster than most standalones (but still not as fast as the PS3). C|Net awarded the player an Editor's Choice award -the first they've given to any standalone BD player.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-10-2008 04:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
It's BD Live capable out of the box
 -

Fuck you, DVD. We have BD-Live!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: