Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Baraka - Blu-ray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Baraka - Blu-ray
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2008 10:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baraka has been brought up from time to time in discussions on Film-Tech, usually in relation to stuff about 70mm or 70mm screenings of the movie.

Some are certainly aware a new Blu-ray version of the movie was released last week by MPI Home Video. Baraka is not a conventional movie. There is no dialog. No dramatic narrative. It's more like a 97 minute long work of life across the globe presented as art. Some people will be bored to tears by that. And that's their loss. I consider Baraka to be a profound, thought provoking film that is emotionally moving at times.

The new Blu-ray version of Baraka has earned very high praise for its video quality. Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits said, "quite simply, Baraka is the best looking live action Blu-ray release I have EVER seen." Roger Ebert called the Baraka BD, "the finest video disc I have ever viewed or ever imagined." Ebert also said "Baraka by itself is sufficient reason to acquire a Blu-ray player." Video Business published an article about how movie critics are being won over to Blu-ray by new releses like The Godfather Trilogy and Baraka.

I received my copy of Baraka in the mail today. I've watched the movie twice already (along with the two featurettes on the disc). It goes without saying Baraka is best viewed in a good movie theater with 70mm projection. Still, the video quality on the BD version is pretty incredible. Overall, it has the best looking imagery I've seen yet on the BD format. It's like a high quality coffee table book of world imagery come to life. The only flaws I noticed were a couple of overlooked specks of dirt and a little grain on the otherwise very cool motion controlled time lapse shots at the end of the movie. This Blu-ray movie would be perfect for electronic store demo material if not for some tribal nudity and a couple of scenes with disturbing footage.

A 65mm interpositive of Baraka was scanned at 8K (8192 X 3706 pixels) by FotoKem labs and the resulting 30 terabytes of scanned data was treated via digital intermediate at that high resolution. The down-sampled 1080p/24 imagery squeezes in more intricate detail than what would have been achieved with a straight HD quality scan or even a 4K scan. New 65mm protection prints and a new 70mm print were created with the 8K digital intermediate. The Blu-ray disc has a "8K UltraDigital HD" banner across the top of the packaging. That may confuse some folks.

The audio for Baraka was remixed and remastered from the original 24-track recordings. The disc has a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 channel track in 24-bit 96kHz resolution. It also has a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. The audio mix consists mostly of music. It has some good atmospheric audio effects too. The mix also pounds out some hefty bass from time to time.

The only complaint I have about Baraka is its packaging. MPI Home Video went with an eco-friendly paper board thing with soy based inks or some such hoopla. Unfortunately it isn't designed to hold the disc very well. There's just a slit on inside of the case holding half the disc and making contact with the playing surface. It just seems cheap. Lots of people are simply going to store the movie disc in a better case and toss this paper board thing in a closet or even in the trash. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a "green" movie disc package doesn't it?

If you're open to watching an unconventional movie, Baraka is definitely worth buying or at least renting if your neighborhood video store has it at all.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-03-2008 11:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested, but the paper box or whatever it is is a big turn-off. I hate eco-friendly stuff. Using plastic boxes won't destroy the earth. Using a paper box insinuates the user wants to throw the product in the trash. If the product were good, why would anyone want to throw it away? I really hate environmentalists. They can go to hell.

Anyway, I am still interested. What are the "disturbing" scenes? Is there a bunch of anal rape like I've heard about? How is the music?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2008 11:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One scene I found disturbing was a closeup view of a body burning on a funeral pyre next to the Ganges River in India. The movie has shots of big piles of skulls and bones organized in rooms in a former Cambodian prison, results of Pol Pot's genocidal purges. You'll see mothers and children foraging for food in a land fill. Not all of Baraka consists of pretty imagery.

I think the music score is pretty good. You won't be humming tunes from it though. A little of it reminds me of the Bladerunner score, the opening title stuff in particular. The "kechak" monkey chant stuff these Balinese tribal guys were doing early in the show was strange (and a little annoying). Music from Lisa Gerrard & Dead Can Dance is featured in part of the movie. That may make viewers think of the music from Gladiator.

You'll love how cheap that paperboard box is. If you buy a copy, make sure your disc isn't scuffed up or warped by it. Some people have had skipping or freezing problems about an hour into the movie and the odd packaging could be the culprit. My copy played perfectly.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2008 01:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this burning body... alive????? Also, are there any giraffes in this flick? I don't buy any movies unless there is at least one giraffe somewhere (bonus points if it is on fire).

My PS3 came with kind of a demo Blu-ray disc that is worthless except that it came in a proper plastic blue container. I would scan the Baraka box and print out a label and use that box if I were to actually buy it.

I wonder if the "Earth" Blu-ray will be better than this. Of course "Earth" hasn't even been released to theaters yet. Since that will be released on "Earth Day" (whatever that shit is), you can bet that it will be super eco-friendly and made of herbal leaves or something. God damn I hate hippies.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 04:08 AM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, 'Earth' is a truncated version of the BBC television series 'Planet Earth' which is available on Blu-Ray. It features a voice over by Patrick Stewart instead of David Attenborough and before you ask, the case is plastic with a high gloss, totally unrecycled slick...

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 06:54 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran an animorphic digital copy of BARAKA at the Telluride Film Festival this year. The picture and sound quality was nothing short of stunning, and was one of the best non-film projected images I've ever seen.

Several of the people who worked on the digital restoration were also there to describe the process. (Unfortunately, I can't recall their names at the moment and I've misplaced all my show notes from this years festival)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-04-2008 07:57 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Is this burning body... alive?????
No. Thankfully. However, you can clearly see it is a human body. The camera even gets a medium close view of the body's face.

Also, are there any giraffes in this flick?
Sorry, no giraffes, none on fire either. But there's chickens! Lots of them! And Japanese snow monkeys. Lots of pigs and cows with people in a dump. You will like the shots of Kuwaiti oil fields on fire -sad and spectacular at the same time.

I wonder if the "Earth" Blu-ray will be better than this.
Was Earth photographed in the splendor of 70mm?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2008 11:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wholeheartedly concur with the comments in the first post. I have never seen any other blu-ray come close to the quality of this disc. It is nothing short of astounding.

quote: Bobby Henderson
The only flaws I noticed were a couple of overlooked specks of dirt and a little grain on the otherwise very cool motion controlled time lapse shots at the end of the movie.
Those are birds. When viewed in time lapse, they appear as dirt. The director specifically didn't want to remove them.

By the way, Chris Rena was the man behind the blu-ray restoration. He has successfully set the standard for which ALL other blu-rays are judged. Even if there are no flaming giraffes in this movie or you feel you may be bored to tears, you will be blown away by the quality.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even heard of this movie for some reason. After reading your review, and some of the reviews on IMDB, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip! [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have fancy menus, director commentaries, outtakes, a Spanish language track, trailers, a "making of" featurette, BD-Live games, trivia, a fold-out map, interviews with the cast and lots of unskippable FBI warnings? I cannot live without any of those great features that DVD and Blu-ray have brought us to make the format soooooo much better than LaserDisc and VHS.

I do appreciate the fact that Baraka is Ultradigital. That means it is even more digital than just regular digital. That rocks!

quote: Bobby Henderson
Was Earth photographed in the splendor of 70mm?
By that logic the IMAX scenes in Batman The Black Knight should look friggin' incredible, blowing the hell outta Baraka with their megadigitalness.

quote: Brad Miller
He has successfully set the standard for which ALL other blu-rays are judged.
Even Total Recall?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-04-2008 06:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fancy menus? Baraka has a main menu that is tasteful yet basic in design. The convenient in-movie pop up menu looks similar.

Directors commentaries? There is no director's commentary on the disc. Since the movie has no dialog there is no need for alternate language tracks or subtitles.

"Making of" documentaries? Yes. Baraka: A Closer Look is a 86 minute documentary about the making of the film as well as the background of "non-narrative" films, such as the pioneering Koyaanisqatsi and how it led up to the making of Baraka. The documentary is a mix of HD and SD quality footage.

Baraka: Restoration is a 7 minute featurette describing some of the technical work done to create a 8K digital intermediate of the movie. This documentary is in HD.

There's no BD Live stuff, no Bonus View PIP stuff, no fold out maps. The only interviews on the disc are those of the filmmakers within the two documentary pieces. However, the disc does play a lovely FBI warning when you insert the disc into your PS3™.

Since Baraka is a straight-forward BDMV disc, the resume play function on PS3™ will work with this disc even if you take the disc out of the PS3™.

By that logic the IMAX scenes in Batman The Black Knight should look friggin' incredible, blowing the hell outta Baraka with their megadigitalness.
I expect the IMAX-sourced footage of The Dark Knight to look great. However, since that movie is really dark and often dreary in color tone it's not going to have the same kind of glossy coffee table book "pop" to its imagery the way Baraka does.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2008 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is an 8k digital intermediate "good" enough to produce a new 70mm print? Seems like it should be higher, considering that some effects for Blade Runner were scanned at that rez and I believe those were shot in 35mm.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8K would be good enough for future video releases...but no, it will not capture all of the information in a 65/70mm image.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2008 08:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided I wanted this, so I went to my local retailer and selected the least-crushed copy I could find. I bolted home and popped it in. I expected a documentary on Barak Obama, hence the name, but instead it was something completely different. It should be called "National Geographic on a Disc". That is exactly what it is, nothing more, nothing less. Good thing National Geographic is pretty cool (though I don't know why people collect them like crazy). Featuring a travel budget of more than a hundred dollars the filmmaker just went wherever and basically turned the camera on.

The imagery is spectacular. Some of it is a tad awkward, though. The filmmaker's sole directing ability seems to be to tell others to stare into the camera with a blank expression for 45 seconds. Ummm, OK... cut? Next scene, please? Hello? Why are these three girls staring at me? Did I accidentally press pause? Did my disc freeze? Can that much 65mm film even fit into a camera to last this long? Anyway, aside from those moments it is quite awesome. The image quality doesn't seem to hit you right away (especially with the super-grainy night scene at the beginning), but it definitely grows on you. It just gets better and better.

And how about that 24-bit, 96Khz audio? It's certainly not CD quality. In fact, it is quite amazing. Some of them music is quite awesome and sometimes even a bit spooky. Very spatial, tight, ambient and fitting. If you haven't already taken out a second mortgage, be sure to do so as soon as possible to upgrade your audio system so it can play back this lossless track instead of the default Dolby Digital track.

The disc comes in a paper box because the manufacturer is cheap. Not being one to remain content with mediocrity, I made my own box by scanning the original in an ultradigital 8K process (and removed the recycling logos while I was at it):

-

-

-

I'd definitely appreciate it if you all could be a bit more jealous of me than usual.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: