Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Dark Knight Blu-Ray to shift aspects during IMAX sequences (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dark Knight Blu-Ray to shift aspects during IMAX sequences
Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hollywood Reporter

quote:
Awards screeners feeling Blu
'Dark Knight' looks to benefit from format shift

By Gregg Kilday

Sept 26, 2008, 01:00 AM ET

Warner Bros. is upping the ante in the awards-season screener game by going Blu-ray, and Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" could be the big beneficiary.

The studio has sent out a mailer to Academy members, offering them the option of receiving screeners in the Blu-ray format in lieu of watermarked regular DVDs. Nolan, a proponent of Blu-ray, urged the studio to make history with the foray into new technology.

"We really tried to do a lot with the film technically to give audiences a real reason to go see the film in theaters," including shooting sequences in large-format Imax, the "Dark Knight" director said in an interview.

But for Academy members who haven't seen it in theaters, or simply want to view it again, he said, "the Blu-ray version is vastly superior to DVD. You can actually see the things we did in Imax, and it will give Academy members the best possible chance to see what we did technically."

The Batman sequel, which has grossed more than $523 million domestically and earned a 95% positive critical rating at RottenTomatoes.com, is one of those rare summer blockbusters with a legitimate shot at major awards. The Blu-ray screener could give it a further advantage.

While other studios have thought about offering Blu-ray screeners, a few, like Universal and Pixar, say it's too early in the conversion from DVD to Blu-ray to make the shift. Sony is considering Blu-ray for "Seven Pounds," its Will Smith drama that opens Dec. 19, though it hasn't determined if there would be enough time to produce a Blu-ray screener.

Offering new, year-end releases in high-resolution Blu-ray increases the costs of mastering and manufacturing of screeners and could raise the risks of digital piracy. Plus, in the case of those movies that are finished just in time to meet awards-season deadlines, there is the added question of whether there would be enough time to master the Blu-ray discs.

"Dark Knight," which debuted theatrically July 18, doesn't face those problems. Nolan, working with his director of photography Wally Pfister, already has mastered the Blu-ray version for the movie's commercial release on DVD and Blu-ray. Warners hasn't announced a street date yet but the betting is that the discs could hit stores Dec. 9.

For "Knight's" Blu-ray incarnation, the director said he was able to approximate the changing aspect ratios of the film's Imax edition. The sections shot in 35mm will play in a letterboxed format, and for the Imax sequences, the image will expand to fill the entire widescreen. While that doesn't capture the complete Imax image, "it still gives us more of the way it was projected in Imax," Nolan said.

Warners will be holding the usual awards-season screenings of the movie, and the film will be rereleased theatrically in January, but Nolan said that if Oscar voters can't make those, "the Blu-ray version is also an excellent way to see the film."

It's too early to tell how many of the Academy's 6,000-or-so voting members will take advantage of the offer. A couple of Academy members said they tossed the mailer because they don't have Blu-ray players.

I'm sure this will annoy all of those people that have $20,000+ anamorphic setups at home! Suddenly they'll have the home-theater equivalent of the dreaded "top masking" (ie, smaller image during the intended large image sequences)

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-27-2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a safe bet The Dark Knight will set new sales records for Blu-ray and push the format into a larger scale of public adoption. The Matrix did that for DVD in 1999. The Dark Knight will do the same for Blu-Ray at the end of 2008.

The aspect ratio change on the Blu-ray of TDK will be interesting to see. But it sure won't match the scale of seeing the aspect ratio changes when watching the IMAX version. What I'm hoping will be present is a very crisp, highly detailed image when the IMAX-sourced shots are shown. It's too bad they couldn't film the entire movie in IMAX format. I think a lot of big budget Hollywood films should be filmed in 5/65mm or 8/35mm rather than going in the reverse direction by embracing digital video cameras. Large format photography can make a major movie project look better in theaters and at home on Blu-ray.

Baraka is another one I'm looking forward to watching on Blu-ray. The company producing the disc has scanned the original 65mm Todd-AO footage in 8K resolution. The reduction to 1080p should be really crisp.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-27-2008 09:51 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! I was hoping they would do this. I was woried that the portions shot in IMAX would be cropped to 2:39, and would never be seen outside an IMAX theatre.

What I would like even more is a disk that contains both cropped and non cropped versions, as well as a bonus feature in 4:3 that would preserve the entire IMAX frame. But I'm happy they at least went this far.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the specs over at The Digital Bits, it looks like the DVD version will be in a consistent 2.39:1 with the Imax scenes in their original aspect ratio as a bonus feature.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Wilbert
I'm sure this will annoy all of those people that have $20,000+ anamorphic setups at home! Suddenly they'll have the home-theater equivalent of the dreaded "top masking" (ie, smaller image during the intended large image sequences)
Well that does it for me. To hell with the blu-ray on this one. There should at least be an option.

The whole thing is a silly gimmick anyway. I intentionally did not watch this at an IMAX because the change in aspect ratio would've drastically ruined the movie for me. How that isn't a major distraction is beyond me.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole Blu-ray is 16:9. It's just the scope scenes are letterboxed (like normal) and the IMAX scenes are not... though there may be a very small pillar box. It won't be a 4:3 ratio. I don't know about anyone who has "anamorphic" Blu-ray projection since Blu-ray does not feature anamorphic content like DVD, but if some d00d is projecting a Blu-ray and literally masking out/blocking the letterbox, then the IMAX scenes would just stick to the scope format on projection. But then again how are these people able to watch flat films? I am really not understanding the problem here.

I do agree with Brad that it is gimmicky, but it does have a place and should be an option, especially with Blu-ray's amazingly awesome ability to branch seamlessly.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you could simply mask the Imax stuff down to 2.39:1. I thought I read somewhere that the Imax stuff was essentially "tilted and scanned" or whatever you want to call it.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-29-2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you could mask the IMAX shots to the scope aspect ratio. You'd basically be preserving what was on the 35mm prints.

And, Brad, I can't believe that you never went to see it in IMAX - even if it was just to see the difference. Like you I have a pretty critical eye, and the changing aspect ratio didn't bother me at all. I don't agree that it was gimmicky. To me, this was an experiment to try to vastly improve the picture and basically test what could and couldn't be done with the 15/70 format. I liked what I saw. And like Bobby, I think it would have been glorious if they would have shot the whole thing in IMAX, and I bet they may have seriously considered it had they known how much money the thing was going to make.

I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray of this movie. The IMAX scenes make me look forward to it a little more.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-29-2008 01:17 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The format changes were fairly subtle on a screen designed to fill your periphery. I'm not sure they will be on BlueRay.

Part of the cinematographers job is to direct your eye to a certain part of the screen where a given action is occurring. In a large theatre, this involves a lot more eye movement than it does at home.

In IMAX, they were able to hide the changes because your eyes are focused in on something else when the shift occurs. In many cases, the film was several shots into a sequence before I realized a shift had happened, and I was looking for it!

Because the eye stays fixed on a TV, I don't think the transitions will work as well. But, the archivist in me is happy that they are preserving the footage.

I agree that the disc should have it available as a user selected option.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-29-2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This won't affect at least one of my clients, they got rid of the Blu-Ray player because they couldn't stand the ridiculously long loading time.

[Big Grin]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2008 01:47 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mike, in the theater the format changes were surprisingly subtle. As an example, I found the changing aspect ratio at the beginning of "The Horse Whisperer" very jarring. Perhaps it has to do with the height changing in Dark Knight vs the width changing.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-29-2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, can't vouch for the "Horse Whisperer", but the beginning of the film "The Right Stuff" made great use of an aspect ratio change. It starts off at 1.37:1 with a newsreel type B&W sequence on a flight test, then jumps to full 'scope in 35mm (or full wide in 70mm) and color as the plane explodes on the ground.

When I ran that film at our base theatre in Tucson, I would time the opening of our side-pull curtain (we had no masking) so that the screen would get bigger at that explosion. It always brought a HUGE round of applause from the audience, they loved it. (We had fixed-height, variable width for our screen.) If I had my way I'd prefer 2-way masking, so top/bottom and sides can adjust. I did do an install where all four panels could be moved independantly.

I do think a height change would be very jarring and lame though..

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-29-2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
then jumps to full 'scope in 35mm
It's a 1.85 ratio film in 35mm.

Mike over at the Chinese Theatre did something like that for "Superman: The Movie" during the comic book (1.37) to opening credits (70MM full widescreen). And Ned over at the Bruin did that with "Road Warrior".

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-29-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bet that Brad hated Galaxy Quest, too. [Razz]

In any case, most video projectors have a "blanking" option, which works like an electronic aperture plate. The image can be electronically masked to 2.35 (2.39) by anyone who wants to do so. Obviously, this won't work on a normal TV set (cardboard or electrical tape on the screen would have the same effect), but it's an option for those with video projection setups.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I don't think they simply extracted the center of the Imax frame for the 2.39:1 version. Can anyone confirm?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: