Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Does HBO's CARNIVALE have an ending?

Author Topic: Does HBO's CARNIVALE have an ending?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-27-2008 02:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard only good things about HBO's CARNIVALE but have never seen any of the episodes on cable. I wanted to watch it on DVD and planned to buy it but found it too expensive and passed. I now have an opportunity to buy both season one and season two for $17.95 each and will get it. I have watched cancelled TV shows on DVds before and many of them had abrupt endings when I watched the final episode and was wondering if CARNIVALE has a satisfactory conclusion. HBO had planned a six season run for this show but cancelled it after two like they did with ROME. I was also told that CARNIVALE also has a lot of strong language. Is this also true?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only watched the first season, but I've been told that Season Two does have an ending. I've heard that it's a stupid ending, but that's par for the course with CARNIVALE.

Season One has the distinction of being run by Ronald D. Moore, who's one the best in the business. But he left after the first year to go do BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, and word on the street is even he didn't like Season One. I've heard that Season Two gets worse.

I will say that the photography is very pretty. I can't really remember how much cursing there was, though. Hope this helps.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-27-2008 06:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mike

I went on line after I had posted my inquiry about the show and found some reviews of both season one and two of CARNIVALE and learned that the first part spends a lot of time defining each character and the show moved in a very slow pace. Season two become interesting because a lot of things happen and the plot is clearly defined. One of the review I had read also commented about the very beautiful photography featured in the show and I am now more than eager to get the two DVD sets.

-Claude

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking with my friend about it today. The show essentially has two storylines which run parallel to each other. In regards to the ending, he says that one storyline is resolved, but the other isn't. However, he felt that the other was one of those things which would've just lingered on without resolution anyway.

The cinematographer was Jeff Jur, who won an Emmy for his work on the show. He's also a graduate of my alma mater, Columbia College Chicago, which has turned out a few notable DP's including Janusz Kaminski and Mauro Fiore.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 03:02 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long on character development but beautifully crafted, the series does come to a resolution of the primary plot. But there is a twist that could have led to additional seasons. The imagery and symbolism made for an intriguing work, much departed from the mainstream. There were many email protests to HBO for giving up on what truly an amazing series. I think you will be pleased.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-28-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick, for the additional information.

I just returned from Honolulu after picking up season one and season two of CARNIVALE from Costco. I was mistaken about the price. Instead of $17.95 each they were a dollar cheaper at $16.95. The regular retail price was over $60.00 for each set when they were first released. Now I know why they say "All good Things Comes to Those Who Wait" [Smile] I just cannot wait until this evening when I will finally have the opportunity to watch CARNIVALE. Something tell me I will enjoy it very much.

-Claude

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 07:32 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to let us know what you think.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 03:27 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Season one and two of CARNIVALE are six disc sets. On the season one set, there are two episodes on each disc except for disc one and six. Both of these discs has extensive bonus features on the production. I was able to watch the first two episodes last night and yes, it is very slow moving and I had to pay close attention to what was going on. I now have twenty three hours of the show to watch and with having to keep up with the discs I am getting in the mail from my Blockbuster membership as well as from their store, I think it will be about a month before I can finish watching CARNIVALE. I will give you my opinion of the show after I had watched it in it's entirety , Mike.

-Claude

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claude,
I don't get HBO, and wanted to watch the series for a long time, so I signed up for Netflix just to watch the series. Always heard it was very Twin Peaks-esk and Toby Huss was in it, so my curiosity got the best of me and had to watch it.

The series is very good. Great character development, and yes, I'll agree the story really gets going in the second season. There is no good conclusion in the last episode. I knew what to expect when I started watching the series (that it was canceled after two seasons), but still was a bit angry about it after I finished it. But then again, having open-ended story lines can be fun to make up your own ending in your mind. [Smile]

I believe the creator wrote an short article on what would have happened to most of the characters if there was a 3rd+ season. You can find it on Wikipedia.

There is strong language and some nudity, but it's not over the top like Deadwood or Sopranos.

Went to Best Buy yesterday and they had both on sale for $20 each! I might have to pick those up next time I'm out there.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-01-2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Allison for your comments,

I am making very slow progress watching CANIVALE. Because of other DVDs I received from my Blockbuster membership and three in store discs this past week, I have only been able to watch the first two episides. Hopefully, I will have an opportunity to watch more this weekend.

Yes, I did see CARNIVALE on sale at $19.95 at my local Best Buy store yesterday but if you have a Costco near you, try them first before you buy the DVDs. As I had mentioned in one of my previous post, I paid $16.95 each for season one and two. That was a fantastic bargain! [Smile]

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: