Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Toshiba HD DVD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Toshiba HD DVD
Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a simple question about the discontuned Toshiba HD DVD player. Right now, the A2 and A3 players max out on progressive scan at 720P. The A30 will do 1080P.

Will firmware updates to the A2 and A3 allow a 1080P setting? If so, how do you update these machines?

I understand with Samsung BluRay, they require you to download onto a DVD-R dics and install the firmware by that DVD-R dics. Is it the same for Toshiba?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last firmware update I did was about 3 months ago. It updated to firmware version 2.0. This was for the A3. I have an ethernet connection to the player and that is how I get the updates. This last update did not upgrade the ability to do 1080p. I will check later to see if there is a new update and if so download it and see if anything is upgraded.

According to the information I downloaded about the Blu-Ray Samsung BP1500 you can use a USB device or ethernet to download updates.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The A2 and A3 are limited to 720p and 1080i as a result of their hardware, if I recall correctly.

As far as updates go, you can update them via the Internet (at least you could before HD DVD was killed off, I haven't tried to update my A1 since January/February) and via CD/DVD update discs that you could obtain from Toshiba by mail or by burning an ISO image from the Toshiba web site.

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a EZ way of telling what verson is loaded in the player?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 06:02 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the A3 you go to the set up screen then go to General then Maintenance then update. It will tell you the latest update it has. I just did the latest update a few minutes ago to Ver. 3.0. It still did not upgrade the unit to 1080p so my thinking is along with Scott's that it may be just hardware based at 1080i.

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 06:21 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think the differences are between Version 2 and Version 3?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 06:36 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Below comes from Toshibas Web site.

Firmware Update Version: 3.0

Applicable Models: HD-A30, HD-A3, HD-D3, HD-A35, HD-A2, HD-A20, and HD-XA2.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for 1080p/24Hz OUTPUT and auto mode(for HD-A30 and HD-A35), improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks

It looks like I will just go ahead and bid on A30 on Ebay. Does anyone know what the difference is betwiin a A30 and A35 machine. It seems I can get an unopened box A30 for a little less then $100 but a A35 seems to be going for about $300 plus?

[ 07-16-2008, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Larry Myers ]

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2008 10:25 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that most 1080p HDTVs worth their salt will de-interlace a 1080i signal, yielding a picture no different than if you were running from a 1080p player.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2008 01:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is impossible for a 1080p TV to not deinterlace a 1080i signal. However this won't look as good as 1080p sets that run at 120Hz (or other true multiples of 24). It also introduces lag due to processing (most won't notice).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2008 02:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, aren't you running a single chip DLP with a resolution of 720P anyway?

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 12:23 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I wanted this for a HDTV set that does to 1080P. Also I might upgrade to a 1080P projector later if the price falls another 35%.

At his point, I believe the main difference between a A30 and A35 machine is the sound. The A30 is going for about $100 and the A35 is going for about $200. A "new in the box" sealed A35 went for $300 on ebay "buy it now". So there is a demand.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-20-2008 01:07 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the A35 allows the pass through of the bit stream over HDMI for the Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA formats so a receiver with the capability of decoding these tracks can do so instead of using the internal decoders on the player.

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
I also wonder if there is also a better upconvert feature in the A35 for standard DVD's to be played at 1080p.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-21-2008 01:45 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
I think the A35 allows the pass through of the bit stream over HDMI for the Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA formats so a receiver with the capability of decoding these tracks can do so instead of using the internal decoders on the player.
[slightly-OT]
In this same vein... what's the point of paying extra for having decoding circuitry in your receiver if all the players that support those formats can decode them all by themselves?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: