Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » How Much Are Blew Ray Discs At Stores In Your Area

Author Topic: How Much Are Blew Ray Discs At Stores In Your Area
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-08-2008 01:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the competition is gone it appears that Sony has raised the pricing on software. All new releases at Wal-MArt, Circuit City, Best Buy, Smith's, and Costco are going for $26.95 in the Salt Lake City area. How much are they in your area?

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2008 02:06 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't noticed a price increase. In fact, I've seen a lot more deals on older titles. And Sony seems to be one of the more reasonably priced studios. Fox, in particular, is expensive, but they always have been.

In Chicago, I'd say most new releases at Best Buy are between $25 and $30. It's rare that there's not some sort of sale going on for older titles. This week, I think they've got a bunch for $20. In general, Fry's seems to have best prices and selection in the area.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-09-2008 03:34 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boise's in the same 26 to 30 buck range at "Worst Buy"

..and at "Wally-World": close to the same..

the BIG push right now is a PS3 combo - 60G PS3, 46" HDTV and sound system under 4k (guess,we now abandon out cars due to high fuel prices in exchange for a home entertainment system...)

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like I told Mark Marshall...Sony'll screw you if you give them a chance. Always have, always will. It's the Pearl Harbor of high definition.

Anyone else fear that Blu-Ray may go down the niche road like laserdiscs if they don't get the players under $200 this year?

[ 06-10-2008, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Joe Tommassello ]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 03:41 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Phoenix market they go from $18 on up to $35. Just depends on the movie, release and all that jazz.

If this is going to be an official topic can we get the title changed to the proper name of "Blu-Ray" and no Blew Ray just because you don't like it? Just a nit pick sorry [Smile]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2008 08:41 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
Anyone else fear that Blu-Ray may go down the niche road like laserdiscs if they don't get the players under $200 this year?
Good point, but I think these days, consumers are more conscious of the quality of what they watch, and are more willing to pay for it.
When LaserDisc debuted, home theaters were nowhere near as prevalent as they are now. Every man and his dog seem to be slapping one together nowadays.

Even down under, that players and discs aren't that expensive at the moment, and we usually get owned on the price front.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2008 08:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped in at Fry's in Vegas the other day and there is no real discount going on there on the Blew Ray disks... Good deals can be had however on HD disks with most prices hovering around $11.99. Sets are $34.99.

Its beginning to be very obvious that Sony has indeed raised pricing on theor software in some cases as much as 4 bucks on new releases from just a couple months ago. Also shows that the competition was indeed good for the market and to keep pricing on the street reasonable. Mail order is obviously going to be the only way to keep cost reasonable on buying Blew Ray [Big Grin] .

Mark

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked on High-Def Digest, and Sony is pricing new releases at $39, and catalog releases at $29. This hasn't changed since Day One.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2008 10:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That may not have changed but the pricing in the stores certainly has!!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2008 10:30 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be that the HD DVDs are cheaper because... they're no longer making them and the stores just want to get rid of the stock? Or because Toshiba still has a glimmer of hope of beating Blu Ray? [Big Grin]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2008 01:04 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That may not have changed but the pricing in the stores certainly has!!
Maybe, but how is that Sony's fault?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-17-2008 05:04 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
£20 ($38ish) seems to be about the typical price for a new release title here. I haven't seen any re-releases of older titles in my local supermarket or high street music/video stores, though a small number are now listed on Amazon and the postal DVD rental site I use. Players are going to have to come down a lot and a much wider range of titles will need to be available before I take the plunge.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-17-2008 07:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
Maybe, but how is that Sony's fault?

Mike,

Part of what I am trying to find out is if it's Sony or the stores. Its pretty clear now that its the stores.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: