Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Puppetoons

Author Topic: Puppetoons
Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where I could buy/download/aquire a copy of the original George Pal puppetoons? I've tried googling it. Lots if hits, but most are just breif mentions, or descriptions on them. No definitive source to get them from it seems.

There are a few clips on youtube. They'll get me started, but they're mostly just clips. And not necessarily in the best quality.

|  IP: Logged

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out "The Puppetoon Movie" on DvD. in addition to clips the DvD contains a bunch of complete Puppetoons featuring Jasper. [Big Grin]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw that, but for some reason I was given the impression it was a more recent movie created by someone else in the style of the original puppetoons. Still worth a gander at it I guess. They are really cheesy, but there something endearing and unique about them.

Kind of like classic Star Trek. If you truely want to get nit picky. The acting could be better, the effects and costumes were low budget, and there were so many inconsistancies and plot holes, a trip to Vulcan from earth one week, could take 5 days, and the next take a month. But despite it's shortcomings, a very enjoyable show. I own quite a few episodes.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-04-2008 01:50 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Especially since they remastered it for HD re-release and replaced all the matte shots with current technology CGI.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 06:53 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE PUPPETOON MOVIE is a feature length compilation of many classic Pal short films, and it has few minutes of (very good) new puppet animation to introduce and comment on the original films.

Excellent DVD release, I recommend it for anybody interested in classic animation. Another nice DVD is THE FANTASY FILM WORLD OF GEORGE PAL, also directed by Arnold Leibovit which has many interviews with animators from Ray Harryhausen to Walter Lantz. It's not all about puppet animation but concentrates on Pal's feature film work which often included animated effects (tom thumb, Seven Faces of Dr Lao etc).

The only drawback in seeing THE PUPPETOON MOVIE is that your friends & family will go mad because you'll be humming the theme from TUBBY THE TUBA for weeks... [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: