Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » LOTR blu ray? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: LOTR blu ray?
Derrick Huggins
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Derrick Huggins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive already tried google. but i cant find any info on lord of the rings coming to blu ray. anyone know anything? I NEED my lotr on blu ray!!

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-04-2008 02:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is not coming out on Blu-ray anytime soon. At the very least, expect to wait a couple of years.

My own guess is Warner Bros./New Line will wait until The Hobbit arrives in movie theaters before releasing the LOTR movies on Blu-ray. That's probably going to be sometime in 2010.

The latest word on The Hobbit is Peter Jackson will be an executive producer and Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth) will direct. The Hobbit is also set to be released in 2 parts. Part 1 is tentatively scheduled for a 2010 release. Part 2 is scheduled for 2011.

There is also a possibility Warner Bros. and New Line could wait on releasing the LOTR trilogy on Blu-ray until the Hobbit movies come out on video as well. I don't think that would be a good strategy. A Blu-ray release of LOTR just ahead of The Hobbit theatrical release would make more sense.

The installed market base of Blu-ray is also still relatively small. Major sagas like the LOTR trilogy or Star Wars aren't going to arrive on the format until the market has grown to a satisfactory size. I think some major growth for Blu-ray is going to occur this fall as the movies of summer 2008 arrive on the format and the variety of price level of the players improves.

But even if Blu-ray sells like crazy this fall, it's still going to take at least another year of growth before studios release well-polished "tent pole" catalog titles on the format. For the time being, the main thing that will grow the Blu-ray market is new releases.

There is a decent chance all the Indiana Jones movies could be released on Blu-ray for the holiday season in support of the new Indy installment arriving in theaters this month. Warner Bros. is finally going to get The Matrix onto Blu-ray this fall as well (it was previously available on HD-DVD).

One more thing, I think it's becoming clear that studios will have to put some serious work into creating Blu-ray versions of classic movies and popular catalog titles. Most new movie releases use digital intermediate techniques in post production, which I think makes it easier to get such movies transferred over to the Blu-ray format. Older movies may need what amounts to a completely new "digital restoration" to look good on the format.

Fortunately, The Lord of the Rings trilogy was originally post produced with a 2K digital intermediate. As long as those 2K data files are still intact, the process of getting those movies onto Blu-ray shouldn't be any different than the process is for any new movie.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though there were statements by the VC-1 encoders on the AVS Forums that the Extended Editions were being chewed on to see if they could fit onto a 30GB disc (they could, with good results according to them), nothing was ever released as far as a schedule or solid plans.

New Line is in such turmoil right now, even if the movies were ready, I think there are too many distractions surrounding their absorption into Warner Bros. for anything useful to happen in the near future.

On top of that, it still seems that the studios are trying to figure out how they want to handle high definition releases. Here we are, more than two years after the release of the first high definition disc format, and the studios still haven't hit their stride on releases.

It might be a chicken-and-egg issue where the studios aren't kicking it into high gear because the market isn't large enough, and/or the hardware isn't selling because there aren't enough compelling titles available for the format. Either way, we're moving slowly, and we can only hope that the momentum continues to build.

I think Bobby is right that there will be some tie-ins with The Hobbit movies (there are two of them). I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they take another run at theatrical releases of the LOTR movies before the theatrical release of Hobbit #1 in December 2010. Then, when #1 goes to video the following summer/fall, they could do all sorts of bundling and packaging to build the hype for #2 the following December.

The LOTR movies will sell well on Blu-ray, but not nearly as well as if they were released when the hardware prices are lower so that their release can be maximized. A bundled deal of all three LOTR:EE movies for $100 isn't too much (with the appropriate extras, of course), but when the players are still $400, the total price of admission for someone not yet into Blu-ray is too high.

As anxious as I am to see these movies in HD, the lack of any mentions from New Line/WB and the current Blu-ray market means that we won't be seeing them anytime soon, IMHO. [Frown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-05-2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the LOTR trilogy arrives on Blu-ray around 2010, the price of Blu-ray players won't be much of an issue with customers. By that time 2 years from now new DVD players will start to become a pretty rare thing in retail stores.

Right now the prices of standalone Blu-ray players are ridiculous. Playstation 3 is selling much better since it has more capability and more features for a price equal to or lower than many of those profile 1.0 and 1.1 players.

Prices are definitely going to go lower this fall as more new player models arrive on the market. But I don't expect Blu-ray players to go below the $100 price level anytime soon. Dollar inflation is one factor working against that. The other is electronics companies don't want to totally ruin their profit margins like they did with low cost DVD players.

quote: Scott Jentsch
On top of that, it still seems that the studios are trying to figure out how they want to handle high definition releases. Here we are, more than two years after the release of the first high definition disc format, and the studios still haven't hit their stride on releases.
One of the biggest problems is a lack of BD replication capacity.

The few BD capable disc replication plants are all booked up solid with a giant backlog of movie encoding and replication work. This summer's big movies are a top priority. That's causing other projects like complex TV series box sets to get pushed off well into 2009.

It's certain more BD replication plants will have to be brought into service because the demand is only going to grow a great deal more. This summer's movies will provide one big boost to Blu-ray sales. The other is likely to come from lots of people buying HDTV monitors in advance of analog TV broadcasts turning off next February.

Aside from the LOTR issue, there's a good number of quality catalog titles coming out on Blu-ray pretty soon. I'll probably buy the BD versions of Patton, Dirty Harry, and Men in Black in June. I think I may just rent the BDs of Cloverfield and There Will Be Blood. I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray version of Dark City, but hope a good job is done transferring it to 1080p HD.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 03:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The other is electronics companies don't want to totally ruin their profit margins like they did with low cost DVD players.
Of course they don't WANT to ruin their profit margins, but you watch...Wal-Mart will force them to.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-05-2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way Wal-Mart could force those electronics companies to dump their prices in that manner is if the same electronics companies licensed out Blu-ray manufacturing to Chinese electronics companies. For the time being they're not doing it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you remember the Panasonic $88 DVD player episode of a couple of years ago? At that time, you couldn't find a DVD player for less than $175 or so. Panasonic lost a lot of money on that "deal."

It doesn't have to be a Chinese company. If Wal-Mart said to Sony, "Deliver us 200,000,000 Blu-Ray players priced less than $100 by Christmas," I'll bet Sony would find a way to do it. Even if they lose money on the deal.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-05-2008 10:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're over-stating the level of clout Wal-Mart has. If there was any chance whatsoever they could force any Blu-ray manufacturer to produce how ever many Blu-ray players at what ever price point they would also have been able to force Nintendo to spit out tens of millions of Wii consoles for $50 a pop by now.

The time line on that $88 Panasonic DVD player and when DVD players were commanding $175 price tags doesn't jive either.

DVD players with price tags of $100 or less have been available for several years. Apex was one of the first to get DVD players down below the $100 level in 2001. And that was because the DVD forum shot itself in the foot by allowing the technology to be licensed out to Chinese manufacturers. Once that happened, DVD player prices were put into free fall and the business was practically turned into a charity.

What kind of commission can a sales clerk in Best Buy earn for selling a $39 DVD player? A dime or two to save up for Pepsi™ from the pop machine in the break room? At some point a product just becomes too cheap to bother pitching to anyone. It's not worth the effort. DVD players have definitely fallen into this category. They're not even a credible item anymore to use in selling TV sets. That's why I believe there is a good chance they may disappear from most electronics store shelves once enough Blu-ray players reach a comfortable price level. Within a couple years Wal-Mart and pawn shops may be the only place where you can actually buy a DVD player.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-05-2008 11:54 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Wii is a monopoly item. There is a single vendor. WalMart has huge clout when they can play vendors against each other, as they can with BD. They can't make people lose money (well, OK, they can...), but they will certainly shave profit-margins into the razor-thin area...

--jhawk

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2008 12:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's lots of electronics and computing products in the marketplace that have certain levels of price protection. Many have minimum advertised price stipulations. Wal-Mart doesn't stock a whole lot of those kinds of products either. For instance, I've been looking at certain HDMI equipped audio video receivers. Some of these units are carrying nearly identical prices just about everywhere I look, be it retail or online.

I seem to remember Wal-Mart arriving late to the DVD thing as well. They were selling DVDs before they got into actually selling any of the players. Things don't seem to be much different regarding Blu-ray either. The PS3 is the only BD capable device I ever see any of our local Wally World locations ever trying to stock.

As long as members of the Blu-Ray forum (or whatever their group is called) continue to collude together -yes, I said collude- they can protect prices from suffering a free fall despite any demands that come from Wal-Mart.

I don't know if there's any truth to certain news stories claiming that electronics companies are currently experiencing a shortage of components unique to Blu-ray players. Certain player models, such as the Panasonic DMP-BD50 (their first Profile 2.0 player) have seen their released dates pushed back. The speculation is that growing Playstation 3 popularity is causing those component shortages. If any of that is true, those shortages won't help push down prices.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-06-2008 12:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
The Wii is a monopoly item.
You obviously do not know very much about the videogame industry.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2008 01:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as members of the Blu-Ray forum (or whatever their group is called) continue to collude together -yes, I said collude- they can protect prices from suffering a free fall despite any demands that come from Wal-Mart.
I don't think so. Wal-Mart gets exactly what they want, or they don't put the item on their shelves. The manufacturers are so eager to sell millions of items and boost their sales figures, they'll happily lose money doing it because they think it looks better to sell a billion gadgets and lose money, than to sell only a million and be the 10th place manufacturer in the marketplace. (Or the other scenario -- they farm the manufacturing out to China and cut quality. That's another thing Wal-mart has done to this country -- showered it with shoddy crap in the name of low prices.)

They may not be able to get sub-$100 Blu-Rays, but you can bet they'll be the lowest price out there or close to it, and whatever maker they're dealing with will lose money on the deal but will celebrate because they're moving so many units.

My wife works for a bank. This bank had branches in about a half-dozen Wal-marts around Montana and Wyoming. The relationship cost the bank so much money, they finally pulled out of all the Wal-Marts. Her boss said, "It's impossible to make any money doing business with Wal-Mart."

The only thing stopping Blu-Ray player prices from dropping like a lead balloon is the fact it has such small market share - so far. Once the average price of a player gets to maybe around $200, and once lots of standard players start wearing out, and providing internet or other electronic delivery doesn't catch fire, you'll see the cheapo Blu-rays all over the place like flies in the summer. Same thing that happens with all mass-market electronic products.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2008 08:43 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I don't think so. Wal-Mart gets exactly what they want, or they don't put the item on their shelves.
Do you think Wal-Mart is the only place where Blu-ray players can be sold, or any other computing and consumer electronics items?

In matters of home theater, Wal-Mart is shit. The HDTVs they stock are low rent, entry level items. I would have been waiting for hell to freeze over before Wal-Mart would ever stock the kind of TV I purchased. They would never carry any of the previous items I bought for my home theater setup. And I don't even have a high end home theater at all either.

As far as electronics go, stores like Best Buy and Circuit City are far more formidable in determining the success and failure of any new home video technology than Wal-Mart. Even Target is a more credible force. Wal-Mart only arrives on the scene years after the fact -like they did with DVD. I even see more going on at Sam's Club relating to Blu-ray than I do Wal-Mart.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think Wal-Mart is the only place where Blu-ray players can be sold, or any other computing and consumer electronics items?
I never said that and of course I don't think that. But they LOVE to be the low pricing leader, as you know. So if Blu-Ray ever becomes a mass market item, they will do everything they can to be the lowest priced Blu-Ray seller on the block, no matter who they have to screw to do it. Which is what they did with DVD players, and lots of other electronics items before.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 11:02 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that WalMart needs to reduce the price of the Wii because my impression is that the stocks of those units are still in short supply, and they sell out as soon as they're available. Perhaps that's changed recently, but I don't follow it very closely.

I agree with the sentiment that WalMart holds an extreme amount of control over the products they choose to carry in their stores. You will often find name brand products that have the WalMart logo on them somewhere, as those products have been manufactured specifically for WalMart to meet their pricing expectations (and maybe some featuresets).

If Sony were willing to sell an XBR HDTV for the price that WalMart would want to sell it for, you'd bet it would be there. The same with Yamaha and Denon receivers. But they don't, so you won't see them there. So WalMart sells TVs that are unrepairable after their warranty expires and home theater in a box units that probably don't sound any better than a $9.99 pair of portable speakers.

While I don't shop at WalMart unless I have to (I don't care for the place, and I don't care for their business practices), I know that many people do. To dismiss WalMart as a force to be reckoned with as it pertains to mainstream consumer habits isn't realistic. I don't think Blu-ray is very present in WalMart because it represents the antithesis of what WalMart stands for.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: