Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Hulu.com

Author Topic: Hulu.com
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2008 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else enjoying wasting time watching old TV shows etc. on this site? The video quality is a ton better than YouTube and the very short commercials (15 to 30 seconds) are not intrusive. They are adding more content all the time. Beats working! [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2008 02:34 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]
I wasn't aware of it until you posted, Mark.
I'm glad you did. [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2008 03:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, you're welcome...George. [Razz]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2008 11:52 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did it again...
Thanks, Mike.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-02-2008 05:19 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hulu was NBCs answer to dumping iTunes. While I can see a niche market for watching tv shows while tethered to an internet conection, I would prefer to pay for a version that has portability and can be transfered to an ipod/phone/laptop before a flight.

It's too bad NBC doesn't gets this, because I'm sitting here with my wallet open, ready to give them money in exchange for content that works the way I want it to.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2008 10:21 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, You might be able to download a program that will download the videos from the website. They are programs like "easy video downloader" and web pages like "VIXY.NET" that will download the flash video from "YouTube" I would think it would work with "Hulu" as long as it uses flash video. All you do is copy the URL of the video and put it into the program or webpage and it will download it to your hard disk. Then you can download another program that will convert the flash video to MPEG or whatever format you want. All these programs are free.

This way you can download the shows you want to watch on a flight or on your i-pod without having to open your wallet.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-03-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hulu doesn't work that way. Those utilities work fine for getting at standard embeded flash like YouTube and Vimeo.

The network sites package it up in a proprietary front end that inserts ads (sometimes making you click to advance them, *cough*ABC*)and they track your viewing habits (for instance how many times you rewound that last SNL skit). Because of the proprietary front end, I'ts difficult for sites like KeepIt, Video Downloader, and my favorite, ClipNapper to get at the underlying flv files.

But that isn't the point, there are other ways for me to get the content (BitTorrent?). My main point is that I shouldn't have to steal it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: