Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Amazon Unbox

Author Topic: Amazon Unbox
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-12-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I recently got a Series 3 TiVo HD. One of the things the TiVo can do (besides record TV) is download movies from Amazon Unbox. I decided to try it on Joe's favorite film of 2007 "Michael Clayton". Amazon Unbox allows you to rent the movie with a 24-hour viewing window limitation, or buy it. $3.99 and $14.99 respectively for "Michael Clayton". I rented it and let the TiVo download it overnight, not sure how long the d/l took*. The 2-hour film is a 2.46GB file, about half what a single-layer DVD can hold, so obviously it ain't HD. It's watchable though. Reminds me of something you'd see on SD TV, about that level of quality. I was hoping for better but there you have it.

Anyone else tried Amazon Unbox? It's a reasonable alternative to renting DVDs if you have broadband and you don't want to drive to a rental store or deal with NetFlix. But the quality isn't as good as DVD, at least not on "Michael Clayton".

I enjoyed the movie a lot, but agree the car bomb seems like an inappropriate way for that "problem" to be dealt with. Not exactly low key.

*Amazon estimates 50 mins. download time for a PC, 4 hours for TiVo, and 35 mins. for a "portable device", assuming a 1.5mbps broadband connection (I'm on cable modem and typically get up to 8mbps).

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2008 09:15 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what type of file are they MPG2 , 4 ? and what media player do you require to play them ?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-13-2008 10:40 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess the TiVo file must be MPEG2 with some kind of encryption wrapper.

Amazon Unbox FAQ

quote:
What do I need to watch Unbox videos?

Movies and TV shows you download from Amazon Unbox can be viewed using either a PC or a TiVo DVR. Once downloaded to a PC, they can also be transferred to a video-ready PlaysForSure device. To get started, install the Amazon Unbox Video Player on a PC running Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista or register a Series2 or Series3 TiVo DVR.

See the Installing the Amazon Unbox Video Player Help page or the "How do I start using my TiVo DVRs with the Amazon Unbox on TiVo service?" section of the Amazon Unbox on TiVo Frequently Asked Questions Help page for more information.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2008 05:41 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious as to how amazon were doing this , we have an outfit over here offering similar service , you sign up on a plan, download their media player and download movies which can only be viewed on a PC through their player and self destruct in 24 hours.

I want to watch shows on my plasma panel at home not on a silly pc screen so that it is biggest downfall personally.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2008 09:08 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they use VC-1, as it would make sense for them to use something more efficient than MPEG-2. VC-1 would be supported natively in Windows Media Player, which is probably what they use to wrap their Unbox brand around.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-15-2008 09:43 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently PC playback requires Unbox Video Player. It does also say it requires .NET 2.0 Framework and Windows Media Player 10. Maybe the Amazon component is some kind of plugin to WMP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: