Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The problem with sitcoms today (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The problem with sitcoms today
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/rant on
I was watching a few episodes of "The Jeffersons" and "The Andy Griffith Show" on TVLand last night. I realized that even though they were half hour sitcoms that they had really good stories that actually dealt with a real life issue, and that the humor had something to do with the story not just thrown in as an after thought.

It seems like sitcoms today have no real story. Maybe they will have a story where the husband does something dumb, then tries for 22 minutes to hide it from the wife. For good measure they will throw in a couple fart jokes or something. Lame. The Jeffersons dealt with a father feeling that his son is ashamed of him because he did not graduate high school or go to college and his attempt to try to earn his high school diploma to impress his son, we find out that his son is already proud of him for being able to do what hes done with out a degree. The second episode dealt with forced retirement. Andy Griffith dealt with how some people are happier being at each others throats and arguing all the time, that some people express thier feelings for others differently and that you can't change people. I just think you don't see anything of substance in sitcoms anymore. I call it the "Seinfeld" effect. Speaking of "Seinfeld" How can they say it is a show about "nothing" when every episode is clearly about something? Sorry for the rant I am just dissapointed with whats happening to entertainment.
/rant off

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 10:40 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Sean, I do agree with you. To me, Sitcom's today plainly Suck. I also liked Sanford & Son. The Andy Griffith Show was great to watch. Sheez, TV Entertainment is not as good as it used to be. Which is why I rarely, if ever, watch TV, except for DVDs.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 11:26 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest complaint is all the commercials on TV LAND. Its insane! The older shows are hacked to death. Have you tried watching The Beverly Hillbillies on TV land? Three minute show segments? They sure dont flow like they did when new.

I want a channel, considering we are PAYING for the service, that runs shows UNCUT and UNEDITED, like we did it in the independent TV business back in the old days of the 1970's!!!

These new shows generally stink. I watch the New Adventures of Old Christine on CBS occasionally. It was much funnier last season. This season, it seems to be awfully "fill-in-the-blank."

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 11:49 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree that the commercials are waaaaaaaayyyyyy to insane on TV Land. It's so damned ridiculous & annoying. [Mad] That's another reason why I rarely watch TV is because of those commercials.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not understand why anyone would ever pay for TV. Even if I lived out in the sticks with pygmies and couldn't get a signal, I still wouldn't pay for satellite or cable.

But hey, you're payin' so why do they have a reason to change? You are promoting what they are doing with your wallet.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 06:56 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To quote George Costanza on sitcoms: "Every time you turn on the tv, it's 4 morons sitting on the couch, whining about the dates" [Smile]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-31-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without cable I'd have no reliable TV reception at all, analog or digital. That's not gonna happen.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall who the made the following quote, famous older actor, but it fits.
"Used to, you watched television to see someone more intelligent than you. Now you watch to see someone dumber than you."

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 08:44 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never liked laugh-tracks either. Even when there's a real live audience, it still sounds forced and you can tell someone's TELLING them when to laugh. Animated shows that had laugh-tracks used to confuse the hell out of me- were the cartoons really REAL, up on a stage in front of people??

I remember in early 1984 they had a TV show based on the movie "The Four Seasons". I thought it was pretty good, big reason being it had no laugh track. The show got put on hiatus a few weeks and when it came back- it had a laugh track. I turned it off right away.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Without cable I'd have no reliable TV reception at all, analog or digital. That's not gonna happen.
So you're saying that you NEED TV, and by god you'll pay to get it?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-31-2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Note to self: Next time I'm bored, convert Jesse's forum photo to shockwave with a laugh track. [evil]

For the rare few current shows that I do follow, I usually download to watch; otherwise, I get my TV from Netflix.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-01-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
So you're saying that you NEED TV, and by god you'll pay to get it?
Heh heh. I was going to say, well, no I don't NEED TV any more than I NEED a new car, nice house, cell phone, broadband, dual monitors on my PC, memory foam bed, George Foreman grill, Sennheiser headphones, or a Seiko watch (ok, scratch the Seiko; Seikos aren't what they used to be).

Oh WTF. Yes, I NEED TV and by god I'll PAY to get it. There, I've said it.

There are enough good shows on TV that I'm willing to pay for cable. Actually there are far more good shows on than I can keep up with. And I don't have any premium channels, so I've never seen The Sopranos, or Weeds, or that western I can't remember the name of.

Good sitcoms are a rare breed. The Office is good. I can't think of another one right now. Do animated shows count? If they do, then King of the Hill is a good sitcom.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Turner Classic Movies was to leave my satellite system, I'd drop the whole she-bang in a heartbeat. Commercial TV is at an alltime new low.

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think all sitcoms today need to dump the laugh tracks. Then you could really tell how hard they suck.
"Mom, I'm late this month!"
"Don't worry honey, the Turkey is in the oven. We eat at five."
"Mom?..."

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2008 02:42 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lack of quality in sitcoms now makes me realize how one of my younger co-workers caught my joke and started laughing. I just knew this would go over his head...
Cody drives into the parking lot in his 1950 Ford Pick-up truck.
I start humming the Sanford and Son theme.
Brian cracks up laughing.
Brian had resorted to watching classic sitcoms as the current ones are not funny...thus he had seen Sanford and Son and it's opening credits with Lamont Sanford driving up in old pick-up truck...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: