Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Battlestar Galactica

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been re-watching Season 3 of Ron Moore's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA in preparation for the upcoming final season, which starts on 4/4. Once again, I'm reminded of how extraordinarily good this show is.

The subject matter is incredibly dense. It deals with issues that are normally reserved for art films. From politics and war to religion and science, every aspect of society is covered. Like all great sci-fi, it may take place in an undisclosed time period and location, but it's all about what's going on in the world right now.

I get the impression that the writers are working on another level than the rest of us. Lots of stuff in the show goes right over my head. And yet it's very easily accessible. On the surface, it's big action movie. But if you dig deeper, there are tons and tons of layers.

The production value is on par with any movie you'll see in theaters. The acting, photography, music, editing, production design and sound design are all top notch.

One of the reasons why it works so well is because it never tries to keep itself inside of a pre-established box. As much as I love STAR TREK, it's incredibly formulaic. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA is constantly changing into whatever it needs to be.

I'm anxiously awaiting the end of the series so that it can finally be viewed as a cohesive whole. And I'm really hoping that Moore and his team don't pull a SOPRANOS, and drop the ball in the final seconds.

Is anyone else as excited about this show as I am? If you haven't seen it, start it from the beginning. It'll be a much more rewarding experience than just jumping in at some random point.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: