Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » John Adams - HBO Mini Series

Author Topic: John Adams - HBO Mini Series
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-22-2008 07:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone been watching John Adams on HBO?

After watching the first 2 episodes of the 7 part series I think it's really good. The mini-series has an impressive cast. The script is based on a Pulitzer Prize winning book. Too bad there's not more shows like this on HBO.

Quite a few "digital backlot" techniques have been used in re-creating historic Boston and other places depicted in the series. HBO aired an interesting making-of featurette last Sunday showing some of this stuff.

It's not often I really notice the music score in a TV series, but I really like Rob Lane's music, particularly the rousing march theme on the show's opening titles.

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 07:49 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to check this out I get a hard-on for anything having to do with Boston. I love that dirty water!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally like HBO original material...normally it has the highest quality in its production.

I am watching John Adams and though I think it is good...some of the shakeycam hand-held stuff is annoying...even on the "little screen."

Steve

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2008 12:42 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hand-held camera work caused us to turn off episode one after about 20 minutes. So much for that series!

WHEN will film-makers (?) realize that our heads don't bob up and down all the time.

RPM

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think the cam work was so bad in this. Yes, it's handheld and it shakes a little but it's watchable. On the other hand I just watched "30 Days of Night" and it looked like the camera operator was having a seizure while he filmed.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-09-2008 08:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The complete series will be released tomorrow (6/10) on dvd and I am planning to buy it. It will be on sale at Best Buy for $34.95. I used to subscribe to HBO but no longer do because I get all of my movies from Blockbusters and usually rent or buy their excellent miniseries or shows on dvds. All of the reviews I read about JOHN ADAMS have been excellent and I am looking forward to watching it from tomorrow evening. I understand it covers most of Adam's life from the time he was a young attorney defending a British soldier up until his and Thomas Jefferson's death on July 4, 1826.

-Claude

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2008 12:12 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude -

I think you will enjoy it very much. Stellar performances and production all around. I was particularly surprised how much CGI was used because it looks so natural. I highly suggest watching the episodes before the special features because now when I see it I think "Wow, they made that look so real!" I envy you a bit my friend for you are about to discover it for the first time.

Joe

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-10-2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Joe,

I just picked up JOHN ADAMS from Best Buy today like I said I would and I cannot wait until tonight. I may have to watch an episode at at time because I also picked up the Ultimate Collector's Edition of HIGH NOON with Gary Cooper and got THE BUCKET LIST, THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL" and JUMPER from Blockbuster when I turned in three movies I had watched last weekend that was sent to me as part of my rental plan with them.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: