Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Any turntable junkies out there? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Any turntable junkies out there?
Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2008 11:07 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked for a thread about record players and found none. If there is one hiding from me, please move this topic.

Well, I bought this litte guy today for $30 at a thrift store. He's a Pioneer PL 550 Quartz Synchro Pulse (whatever that means). Looks better than what the picture shows. I need to get a preamp for it, but it works great and still has it's needle.
 -

It doesn't have a manual, and I'm wondering about two things:
1)What does the Quartz Lock do
2)what is the Anti-Skate knob do

I can't find any info on it whatsoever online. This is my first vintage turntable. I have a Teac that I think I bought at Best Buy in the early 90's. But vintage is oh so nicer [Cool] If any of you have knowledge of these old workhorses, please let me know.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2008 11:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The quartz lock controls the speed to get it dead on. The anti-skate is a very critical adjustment, as it keeps the tonearm from wanting to ride inward toward the center of the record (which causes groove damage in the record as well as throws your audio balance off).

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 12:16 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad! I just noticed if I adjust the speed and hit the lock button, it locks that speed into place. I'm probably going to have to buy a manual for this to find how to adjust the arm just right. I know a few guys around town that could help me out since all they do is restore and collect turntables, but they are uber creepy and I'm not inviting them over to help me ha.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 01:51 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my Techniques turntable (circa 1983, and it still works), it recommended setting the anti-skate to the exact number that you have your tracking weight. Mine is a P-Mount cartridge and tracks at a light 1.25 grams.
Your cartridge is of a more conventional type, and tracks at a heavier weight, I believe.
The data you are looking for is bound to be on the internet somewhere, so the uber-creeps shouldn't need to visit...

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 04:02 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These things are evil! They will suck up all your money and time until black plastic discs cover every inch of your house.

Seriously though, good find on the turntable, I agree with setting the anti-skate the same as the counterweight, usually about 2 grams. It is possible to blow a lot of money on this stuff, my last turntable was a ridiculously cheap $900 and the cartridge/stylus I want(need) is $1100. More dollars than sense I guess.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 08:59 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the nice find. Turntables rock - Here's mine, a Technics SL-1200MK2 with upgraded tonearm:

-

There are lots of forums for vinyl junkies but my current favorite is Vinyl Engine. People are generally very friendly and knowledgeable there, and someone will undoubtedly know something about your specific Pioneer TT if you post a question about it. Some of the conversations get very esoteric but beginners are welcome too.

Happy listening!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 09:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Technics turntable too, very similar to Davids except an earlier model. I think it's SL1500 but need to look to make sure. It still runs perfectly except the speed controls can be a little erratic.

I concur with all the above people about setting the anti-skate to the same value as your counterweight. Generally anything up to 3 grams is OK. If you have anm LP with a big warp in it, you can go a little higher to help with tracking.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to repair the Technics stuff when I was a bench tech at Pansonic back in the early 70's. The SP-10 is still the best of the best direct drive TT's ever made and a mint one commands a much higher price than it originally sold for. Parts however are scarce with some of the IC's having been manufactured by Matsushita are NLA. The poles in the SP-10 actually were wound at an oblique angle so they overlapped... this way there was no hunting between poles(common on Hall Effect Motors) and resulting higher flutter. I think the SP-10 was the only direct drive TT to ever feature this.
I still have my RS-1500 2 track closed loop recorder which I purchased when I worked at Panasonic as an employee purchase... It too still functions beautifully.
Mark

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 11:47 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Is that a DJ turntable?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 12:20 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Technics primarily markets to DJs now but there's also a lot of "audiophiles" who like them. Aftermarket mods are available, like the arm I installed. Whatever some people may dislike about the Technics, nobody can say it doesn't spin a record at exactly the correct speed. There are $5K turntables that can't get speed dead on.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 03:34 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm using a Mk II. Theres a lot of audiophiles who like to bring the SL-1200 down for some reason, I never could figure out why.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 04:52 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my SL-1200Mk2, black like David's but with the stock tonearm and a Shure M97xE.

The PL-550 is a very nice direct-drive TT, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Can you tell what cartridge is in it?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2008 06:47 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I prefer Direct Drive over Belt Drive, I would have to get a DJ-Style turntable when my existing one goes kaput. I prefer Techniques, so this would likely start at $500.
I purchased my Onkyo receiver in 03 (to replace my old Hitachi) as this particular model (TX 8511) has turntable inputs. A lot of receivers don't, especially the home theatre kind.
The only turntables I don't see anymore are the Akias (Sp?) (Akai?). Other brands are still churning along after being in use for 20 some-odd years.
The Bang and Olfsson turntables were quite odd...one could lift one side up while a record was playing and it would still track.I don't know why anyone would want to do that, though...
Then there were Dual and Yamaha.
Oh...and Denon.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2008 07:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..unless you want to invest in some extremely high end audiophile turntable like this...  - ...

Specs: The spindle shaft of the Stabi XL is more than an inch in diameter, with an inverted bearing tipped with a ruby ball. Its massive base weighs 59.4 lbs and consists of two round slabs of solid brass smoothly machined and pressed together.

The brass tonearm tower consists of two hollow brass cylinders, the inner one riding on a linear ball-bearing system more than 1" in diameter and almost 4" long. Your choice of tonearm attaches to the inner, movable cylinder via a cylindrical locking armboard collar.

Double motor/belt driven setup for absolute rotation speed.

The heavier the setup, the less turntable rumble, wow and flutter there can be.

Since the lacquers are basically cut in the same manner, audiophiles love to find a turntable that closely matches those Scully or Fairchild lathes that the lacquers were cut on - to be as close to the master tape recording as possible.

These massive turntables aren't for the weak at heart, nor the budget minded individual: You'd better be prepared for the best and have some green lying everywhere around you to pay for these units.

I have two turntables: an ELAC 3 speed unit (does great with a mono cartridge and styli in doing 78rpms) and a Sony Linear tonearm, direct drive unit.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2008 01:53 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems from the activity here that an interest in film and records go hand in hand. How about the Thorens, are the 124's all they are cracked up to be?

also... I am considering an Ortofon SPU, probably the Classic GM Mk II, anyone heard these in action and know what the sound is like?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: