Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » HD broadcasts and Original Aspect Ratio

Author Topic: HD broadcasts and Original Aspect Ratio
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-23-2008 07:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This evening while channel surfing I found ABC was broadcasting Forrest Gump in 720p and letter-boxed to 2.39:1. I was pretty surprised by that. Does ABC do that very often?

The few times I've watched HBO HD they've usually cropped movies to fill the 1.77:1 frame. Showtime and HD Net seem to preserve 2.39:1 aspect ratio on widescreen movies in their HD broadcasts.

What other networks are good or bad in this regard?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-23-2008 09:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've seen this happen, I think. The picture seems slightly off-center (too low), though. The sound is awful since they aren't broadcasting the true 5.1 mix (it seems like Pro-Logic'd stereo sent out as a 5.1 stream). The edits are hilarious. They edited out Forrest's massive 'gasm and all of his man-pubes in the shower scene as well.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the HD net channels and Voom HD on Dish seem to broadcast in the 16X9 for flat pillar boxed in for pre-wide screen and letter boxed in for scope pictures. Sometimes TNT will broadcast the 4 x 3 version stretched out which is really bad and sometimes they do it right! For the most part network movies tend to be cropped to the 16X9 if they are scope! My Biggest complaint with the Voom Channels they repeat the same 2 or 3 movies all day long!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please do not invest in cable/satellite TV. Thanks.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe and you haven't lived in the middle of the country where there are no over air broadcast, no cable. I have and that was when I got hooked on Sat/TV. I still live outside of town and there is little that actually reaches me though if my hd antenna was outside and higher I would probable get more!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2008 09:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the best of both worlds. I have cable TV, but I hardly ever watch it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: