Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD Re-Cropping "Smallest Show On Earth"

Author Topic: DVD Re-Cropping "Smallest Show On Earth"
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just replaced my well-worn 20+year old VHS copy of "THE SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH" with a DVD version. For some reason, they decided to re-crop the original 1:37 aspect ratio to 1:66 on the DVD. GRRRRRRR! I HATE when they do stuff like this.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The recommended aspect ratio for The Smallest Show On Earth would have been 1.66. Regardless of whether or not the film was printed full frame with the intention that the projector's aperture plate would crop the picture, or the old VHS cropped the sides, most British flat films were composed for 1.66 and most American flat films were composed for 1.85 by 1957.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2008 01:35 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, were'd you get the DVD? I need to put that on my wish list.

I have an old VHS of that show taped off of the Nostalgia Channel (which I don't think is around anymore), in 1995. Wow, I miss that channel. They used to run great B-Westerns every Saturday. Double features. I taped a lot of those, too. [Smile]

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 06:00 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, You can buy the DVD Region 1 from: Playusa.com.

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/3-/110646/-/Product.html?searchstring=smallest+show+on+earth

Widescreen 1.66:1 Anamorphic.

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 06:46 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some months ago I was browsing the dvds in a local pound shop and found The Smallest Show on Earth. I bought it for £1. Sometime this week I will go and see if they have any more and let you know.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-20-2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, fellas!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2008 02:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I also highly reccomend "The Titfield Thunderbolt" and "Whiskey Galore"... two of the best gems of British film making that exist. Both are available on E-Bay.

The line that says it all in Whiskey Galore...""Not famine, nor pestilence, nor Hitler's bombs, nor the hordes of an invading army, but something far, far worse."

Mark

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 10:22 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty available on Ebay and fairly cheap too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: