Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Playstation 3 getting firmware update to become Profile 1.1 Blu-Ray player (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Playstation 3 getting firmware update to become Profile 1.1 Blu-Ray player
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 01:41 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the Playstation 3 is looking more and more like the Blu-Ray player to get. The new 2.10 firmware will update the Playstation 3 to be a Profile 1.1 compliant player and also decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio. All this for $399? I don't know how well this unit upscales standard DVD's, but it sure is sounding more like a deal everyday.

The firmware should be available around X-mas time. It is due out in the UK tomorrow 12/18/07

|  IP: Logged

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of experience with the ps3 and other players, the upscaling for standard def is simply stunning. Its already won awards as best in its class for this stuff. watched gone in 60 seconds dvd last night on both a hd-dvd, sony bluray (standalone player) and ps3 and the ps3's bluray is the best for upscaling. sony, you ARE geniuses!

Incase some people wonder why i have a 2x sony bluray players.... i used to work for sony! not anymore though (thank god)

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 02:36 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats good to know. I was going to buy the new Samsung Duo player, but with HD-DVD all but dying out, I think I might save some money and go PS 3. I just read that it will also be profile 2.0 compatible when that standard comes around.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 02:47 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but with HD-DVD all but dying out,

You mean like Sony Betamax? Sony Mini-Disc? Sony SDDS?

HD-DVD will be around long after Blew-Ray is a footnote in the history books.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God...not another one. Denial...it's difficult to overcome, but if you can't face the facts now, then just wait until it just dies.

...and give me a break with that "blew-ray" crap...it's old.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 03:37 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, why did you even buy a player if all you are going to do is leave it in a BOX? I personally buy things to enjoy them.
The playstation and its huge range of games simply appears to be a bit too much fun for you!

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 03:47 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you get your information from? I am currently enjoying a Samsung 1200.

I'm not sure where you get your information Cameron Glendinning, but please, don't fabricate lies or make assumptions in order to get an argument going. I refuse to caught up in that crap anymore.

Thanks

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 05:09 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
Thats good to know. I was going to buy the new Samsung Duo player, but with HD-DVD all but dying out, I think I might save some money and go PS 3. I just read that it will also be profile 2.0 compatible when that standard comes around.
quote:
I will be picking one up. I STILL haven't opened my 1400 yet. I may, I may not.
Ok So my facts come from you so at most they are OPINIONs, (obviously not a reliable source). Pardon me for not realising that you now love blew ray so much you now want 2 players, so that you can watch 1/2 the movies in release. [sleep]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2007 06:19 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The silly bickering aside, I wish I had picked up a HD or Blu Ray unit the day after Thanksgiving, man there were some good deals to be had. With Blu Ray, I think Frys electronics was charging $399 for the ps3, and you get the standard 5 free mail in discs, plus you got 5 free discs at the store, and I think there were 2 discs in the box already? So with the retail value of the unit itself and figuring the discs are $25 to $30 each, the player itself is pretty much free. And I think they had similar deals for HD. But I'll be waiting till the combo players drop in price before investing into an HD player, so that I can enjoy ABBA the movie and the James Bond flicks in Blu ray when they come out, and enjoy Blazing Saddles and Smokey and the Bandit in HD dvd.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2007 11:05 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my PS3 and the upscaling is great...only had a problem with one DVD where it looked great but the words wern't matching the movement of the mouths. It was The Ex dvd. Other then that I've had great times with it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2007 12:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(reading these posts of the war between HD-DVD and BluRay is more intense, and entertaining, than the old days of Beta and VHS - and that war was decided on marketing skills from those VHS people, even though VHS was actually a lesser quality reproduction than Beta by a long shot..)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-27-2007 12:13 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Toshiba is the only one currently making players that support HD-DVD only, I would say HD-DVD definitely looks like the disadvantaged "Beta" in the VHS/Beta analogy on this current format war -except HD-DVD has no technical superiority over Blu-Ray.

It's a good thing Sony is providing a firmware update to the PS3. None of their other Blu-Ray players are Profile 1.1 compliant. The Blu-Ray format also has far more movies featuring uncompressed LPCM 5.1 audio and lossless Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master audio tracks. PS3 users will be able to take advantage of that. By comparison, HD-DVD is very much hit or miss. It's far more rare for a HD-DVD title to feature a lossless Dolby True-HD audio track. Normally regular Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus is the rule.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

You're worse than hot and cold running water all at once! You can get all that minus the game aspect for 255.00 in the BDP-S300. Next week he'll be saying he's looking for a 1" type C VTR because it'll work with his beloved Zenith Chromacolor TV...

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-27-2007 03:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Frank go bye bye from the F-T forums?
[Confused]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte is right... And debating it is a waste of time... both formats will be around for some time to come. The Beta format didn't have the support of several major studios when it was being marketed.
What on earth does anyone need 1.1 for... internet interactive or seom other stupid menu scheme. HD-DVD still has the best menu system in the industry!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: