Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Cheap DVD Players - Be Careful Buying One (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Cheap DVD Players - Be Careful Buying One
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2007 08:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a nice little adventure today. I had to buy a DVD player to replace the $250 Pioneer 5-disc carousel DVD player I purchased back in 2001, which replaced the $400 Sony DVD player I purchased in 1999.

My Pioneer DVD player picked a fine time to die on me. I'm probably going to get a dual format Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player in just a few months to go with the HDTV setup I'm going to be buying fairly soon. Any new DVD player purchase at this point just seems like a waste of money.

So, I naturally wanted to save some money on this replacement DVD player purchase.

There's quite a few DVD players available in stores for really low prices. Many of these players are from reputable brand names. And these cheap DVD players have some pretty interesting features. But they're also dropping out a lot of features too.

Wal-Mart was the first place I visited. They had the Phillips DVP 3960 DVD player on sale for just $39. I took a quick look at the back panel. No optical audio output, but coaxial instead. That'll work. So I took one home. My mistake. Didn't look hard enough. This player didn't have S-Video output. HDMI output is great, but I don't have a HDTV set yet or even a receiver that can handle HDMI sources either. Wal-Mart gave me a refund.

I went to Sears. They also had the $39 Phillips DVD player and several other cheap DVD players (including one for only $24). Many lacked S-Video and optical audio outputs.

Then I saw an interesting DVD player from RCA, the DRC285 model. This one had all the outputs I needed. It played lots of different kinds of media. It even had a USB 2.0 jack on the front panel for connection with digital cameras and computers. Pretty neat for $59. I bought one and took it home.

Thankfully, I was smart enough to read through the user manual for the RCA DRC285 DVD player before unpacking the player itself. In reading through the details of setting up the player for different audio formats I discovered something disturbing: this fucker doesn't support DTS output! WTF!?

I taped up the RCA DVD player box and got ready to take it back to Sears. While carrying the DVD player to my truck I realized I had no truck keys. And I realized I had just locked myself out of my house. Arrgh!
[Mad]

10 minutes later, after breaking into my own house using a secret trick I will not describe, I was back at Sears getting a refund on the RCA player and looking more carefully at the others.

None of the remaining DVD players were perfect, but the one that fit the bill best pissed me off for the brand name: Sony.

I have not forgotten the anger and frustration I experienced with my first DVD player, a Sony DVP-S530D. It worked great the first year. Then it started developing the dreaded Sony lip sync error. Then the damned thing started freezing up on various discs. Criterion's version of The Rock would lock up that player at the layer change. You couldn't even turn off the power. The plug had to be pulled out of the socket! It was that bad.

So I'm looking hard at the Sony DVP-NS77H. $99. Little more expensive than the other single disc DVD players. I really wanted to like the $79 Samsung DVD player nearby. But in comparing "forward looking" features, the Sony unit won out.

The deciding factor was the HDMI output. The Samsung DVD player upscaled to 720p or 1080i. The Sony upscales to 1080p. On top of that, it has some unique "Bravia Theater Sync" feature that gives it some advantages with Sony's Bravia line of HDTVs. Right now, the most likely HDTV I'm going to buy is Sony's 52" XBR4 Bravia model.

Anyway, I brought the player home and got it hooked up with my Yamaha receiver. The player works well. Nothing to complain about on picture quality. My only complaint is that it's a bit on the slow side in loading movies and taking commands from the remote. But I can live with that for several months until I move up to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2007 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd be too embarrased to admit to this story... I can't help thinking I paid only 99.00 for my 2nd HD-DVD player. Upscaling a regular DVD to 1080P over 1080i has no merit... in fact 720P might be a better place to upscale NTSC to. Going to 1080P you'll only see any noise generated by the upscaling much clearer.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Pioneer DVD player was still working when the Toshiba HD-A2 was only $99. Had I been in a pinch then I might have bought one of those Toshiba units as a replacement. Still, that model only output 1080i -not exactly something I want in a HD movie disc player. I'd end up replacing it with another player with HD-DVD capability. Not much of an advantage over having to buy that Sony player.

I do agree $99 is a little expensive relatively speaking for a single disc DVD player. I'm guessing some of the extra cost has to do with the HDMI 1.3 output that that Bravia Theater Sync hoopla.

The HD-A3 Model is priced as low as $169, but it doesn't do 1080p (at least not without a firmware upgrade) and it did away with the S-Video output that was built into the older A2 model. The S-Video thing is a must-have item with my current setup. When I get a new receiver I can switch everything over to HDMI.

On the subject of upscaling, I'm going to try a few different options once I buy my HDTV set. Re-sampling a 480p image all the way up to 1080p does seem a little extreme. It makes me think of how shitty low resolution bitmap art looks when it has been artificially resized larger in Adobe Photoshop. The Sony Bravia XBR series TV and other LCD TVs I have been reading about have lots of upscaling options of their own. Between the DVD player and HDTV I'm sure some kind of decent balance can be met. But it sure won't compare to native 1080p HD video content.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2007 09:38 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you. It seems that the manufacturers of regular (SD) DVD players have pretty much given up trying to offer quality. Pioneer and Sony (perhaps Panasonic) are still making units that are sort of adequate, but nowhere near the level of quality they were when DVD was a newer format.

Of course, they are no longer $400 either, so this part is understandable. Likewise, one expects prices on consumer electronics to drop over time, and basic economics dictates that there's going to be a price/quality quotient at work.

The problem comes when the customer is willing to pay a little more to obtain a quality DVD player: they will discover that this area of the market is no longer being catered for. Yes, companies like Denon offer no-compromise decks, but these sell at prices that are comparable to HD decks, making their existence somewhat irrelevant. So it boils down to uber-cheap or uber-expensive with nothing in between.

I find it surreal that DVD players are now selling for prices like $39. To me, there's something weird about that idea, especially when that's the same amount of money that 2 CDs would cost. There's something profoundly out of whack about this! It could be argued that CDs are too expensive, but for the life of me I cannot understand how or why DVD players became this cheap or why they needed to. After all, VHS was a huge success without dropping the price of decks to this level, so why was it necessary to go this low?

Also, you know things have gone too far when features such as s-video output and DTS have been dropped - crazy!

It's interesting that you mentioned the DVP-S530D. I had (note the past-tense) two of these in my video store. Yes, I also experienced the complete lock-up that could only be resolved by pulling the A/C plug! Also, it did have some firmware issues: it would not even load 'Into The Blue' at all (ironically, a Sony title!) or would choke on various other discs.

Both machines were in constant use between 10am and 11pm 7 days a week. Interestingly, one of them lasted more than twice as long as the other. The one that went the distance would repeat play the same disc - sometimes for days - before changing the movie. When this machine eventually died and had to be replaced, I went into the service menu and looked at the number of laser hours: the machine had clocked up 17,000 hours on the laser! This is highly unusual and I chalk it up to being a freak incident. There's no way that the average consumer player would last that long (and the other one certainly didn't). One of them has been replaced with a Pioneer, the other with a Sony. These will do until I upgrade them to HD.

I hope that HD players don't get to the point that one cannot buy a quality player even if one wants to. I grossly dislike the idea of a society where the only thing that's important is to be able to pay the lowest possible price for everything. Don't get me wrong, competition in business is healthy and necessary, but I wish that more people would focus on quality rather than just price, so that the competition would be on overall value for money rather than just cutting prices to the bone. The latter just creates a vicious circle which can only lead in one direction...and it isn't pretty.

My hope is that people will start to make the connection between price, quality and service and how you cannot have all three at once, and that people will understand that a society based only on being tight with money really isn't healthy or sustainable.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2007 09:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I woulda gone the 169.00 for the HD player.... I think you do still get 5 free disks as well and thats worth just over a hundred bucks if you price the disks at the lowest retail pricing and there are some really good titles... Casablanca among them. I agree the 1080i is ultimately limiting but even 169.00 and 5 free disks makes it a very worthwhile player especially since you will eventually have a better player to make full use of the HD disks. The CD end of things is also quite superb and surpasses my Pioneer Elite SACD player for Legacy CD's by a wide margin, so if you're after a decent music player only its a good deal.

The firmware upgrade on the Toshibas is simple.... either call them and they send you a DVD with the new firmware for free or connect the machine directly to the internet and it automatically locates the server and does the upgrade on its own... takes about 45 min... that is its automatic after you make the appropriate IP settings in the machine's menu for your type of internet service.

quote: Michael Barry
and that people will understand that a society based only on being tight with money really isn't healthy or sustainable.

My favorite Presidential quote (McKinley)....

“I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor. It is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country.”

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2007 12:14 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Australia, HD DVD's players price starts at A$595 with a bonus cash back of $100 and a few movies. Blu ray starts at $630 with some titles. We still havn't seen the $99 specials yet.

A$0.90 = US$1 at the moment

I'm personally waiting for the price to drop!

I have a $34 dvd player that features progressive scan (576p) component, s video, composite and 5.1 rca out, optical and co ax .

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-16-2007 12:43 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm missing something but if the complaint is because of your experience in the past where your Sony died just over a year after you got it... won't that be a moot point since you're getting a dual hd-dvd/blu-ray in a few months? That'll completely replace the dvd player plus add the hd content so even if it was gonna break a year from now you wouldn't be using it to find out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-16-2007 02:26 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Barry
Pioneer and Sony (perhaps Panasonic) are still making units that are sort of adequate, but nowhere near the level of quality they were when DVD was a newer format.
Well, I hope this Sony player I just bought is better than the "lemon" I bought back in 1999. They really screwed up with most of that series of DVD players. My parents have the 5-disc 630D from that same series of 1999 players. Strangely it didn't seem to be affected by the same glitches that plagued the single disc models. That player still works, even though it is now attached to a smaller CRT TV in my parents' bedroom. Their primary DVD player is a Denon 5-disc model hooked up to a large Mitsubishi rear projection HDTV.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I think I woulda gone the 169.00 for the HD player....
That player doesn't have a S-video output. That's a deal breaker. What good will 5 free HD-DVD discs do for me when I don't even have a HDTV yet?

What I needed was a DVD player that worked with my current standard definition setup. If Toshiba had retained the S-Video feature in the HD-A3 so it could have worked properly with my current gear as a standard DVD player then I may have considered buying one.

Electronics manufacturers will do away with legacy signal output standards at their peril. This goes for HD-quality disc players. It goes double for standard DVD players. I find it amazing they'll stick HDMI into so many DVD players and then deliberately remove other output standards like optical audio output, DTS output and S-Video output. Not everyone has a HDTV yet. I'll bet far fewer have audio video receivers with HDMI switching.

What I went through Saturday afternoon is a good illustration of how the electronics industry is shooting itself in the foot. There's the whole HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray drama. And now we have the bean counters fucking up elementary functions in standard DVD players just so they can manage to sell the players for really low prices and still save a buck. It's retarded.

quote: Chris Slycord
Maybe I'm missing something but if the complaint is because of your experience in the past where your Sony died just over a year after you got it... won't that be a moot point since you're getting a dual hd-dvd/blu-ray in a few months?
Some of it is a matter of principal. I'm not going to throw away the DVD player. Just like I'm not going to put my 32" RCA CRT TV by the curb either. It still works just fine after 12 years of use. The DVD player is still going to have at least some use well after I move up to HDTV.

A lot of people develop a "love/hate" or mostly just "hate" relationship with Sony branded products. To me, the company seems to have been hit and miss with its products over the last couple of decades. Some of their televisions are awesome. I loved the Sony BetacamSP field camera I used when I worked for a TV station in Georgia. But I've heard plenty of complaints as well. And I was pretty sore over that S530D player. I couldn't help but feel a little dread in buying the NS77H. So far, it has worked just fine.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-16-2007 07:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News flash: cheap DVD players suck! Film (err...videotape) at 11!

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2007 10:32 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
They had the Phillips DVP 3960 DVD player on sale for just $39
Then I saw an interesting DVD player from RCA
I'm not going to put my 32" RCA CRT TV by the curb either.
Here's your problem (one of many I'm sure) YOU BUY CHEAP CRAP.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-16-2007 12:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go piss up a rope, Frank.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-16-2007 12:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally get where you are coming from on this Bobby. The manufacturers will omit something from a unit that costs probably less than a buck to put on the machine, but they pull it anyway just to keep their price down.

Personally though in this specific example, I would've ditched the S-video and either bought a $30 cheapie to last me a few months or went the $169 HD route. The difference between S-video and composite with regular DVDs is so minimal it's just not worth futzing over in my opinion. (That is of course just my opinion though. Your mileage may vary.)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-16-2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD player is still going to have at least some use well after I move up to HDTV.
Why? The new player would be backwards compatible with DVD.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2007 01:57 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a Philips DVP-3960. I discussed this player over in the other thread (HD-DVD, BLU-RAY) over in the afterlife. The main reason this player works well for me is the following:

• DivX Ultra Home Theater Certified
DivX is video compression software which enables high quality video to be compressed into very small files then downloaded onto CD-R or CD-RW and played back with very little loss of quality.

• Multi-Format Player
Don't worry about limited playback capabilities, the DVP-3960 plays DVD-Audio/Video, DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W, CD, CD-R/W, SVCD, DivX, MP3, WMA-CD and JPEG.

Most of Philips DVD players have the DivX. All my video files that I deal with on the home front (family videos, home movies, etc.) are done in DivX.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-16-2007 03:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
Why? The new player would be backwards compatible with DVD.

Absolutely and you can still watch the free HD disks on a regular tv as well. I am pretty sure my HD-A2 has an S-Video output... I only use the HDMI jack and have never tried any of the others Yes, here is the list of jacks on the back of the HD-A2 off Toshiba's site...
HDMI™

Ethernet Port

ColorStream Pro® Component Video Output

RCA Video Outputs (1)

Extension Terminal (2)

2ch. Audio Output

Digital Optical Output

S-Video Output

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: