Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 5.1 to 4 Channel Downmix

Author Topic: 5.1 to 4 Channel Downmix
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 08:31 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Pioneer DV-600V DVD player, I can downmix DTS and Dolby Digital down to 2 channels or to pro logic with this unit. I am nearing completion of my active 4 way speaker but thought I would also like surrounds in my setup. I have a rear projection TV so having a center channel is not practical and defiantly not practical to make it match my 4 way L/Rs. Does anyone know of a product or have a schematic to take 5.1 channels, sum the center and sub signals and mix them into the Left and Right channels?

|  IP: Logged

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2008 07:32 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that you can tell the Yamaha-amps which speakerconfiguration is connected: Stereo, LCR, Left-Right with Surrounds and 5.1. You can switch the Sub on or off in every configuration and even, if the sub is only LFE or if it is helping the frontspeakers out in case you have small speakers.
Tell me which amp you have and I could check out if you have that possibility

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's an active speaker the amplifiers are going to be in them; he's connecting them directly to the DVD player from what I can tell.

To get a good 4 channel downmix you'll need to use an outboard processor, either a receiver with line-level outputs or separate pre/pro. If you're cost-sensitive use an inexpensive receiver's speaker level outputs (heresy, I know, but it works great).

The least expensive new pre/pro that I'm aware of is the Outlaw Audio 970 (about $600), but you might be able to find a good deal on a used Lexicon with quite a bit of searching.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: